Finish protection

NINaudio

Finish protection
« on: 22 Dec 2019, 01:34 pm »
Hello, I'm wondering what you all may have done to protect the finish of your Salks from any pets you may have?  We've got two cats that currently very much enjoy sitting on top of my existing gear, but I'm considering Salks as my upgrade to them and would want to protect the speakers.  Jim suggested I ask here to see what others had done.  I wasn't sure if some type of removable film along the lines of phone/laptop screen protectors or the clear vinyl wraps that are used to protect automotive finishes might work? 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Finish protection
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2019, 03:34 pm »
I'm not sure what Jim uses for finish on his speakers, but I wouldn't recommend anything with adhesive. Sometimes the interaction between finish and adhesive is not evident immediately. Could be nothing or possibly discoloration, but I've seen adhesives soften finishes to the point of failure. I'm sure it's explainable chemically, but I doubt you want to involve your new speakers in an experiment.

Seems like something to discourage the cats would be a better plan. Perhaps a piece of felt that slides when they jump on it. But then I can see them grabbing and clawing in the fall, potentially snagging grill cloth or even scratching finish depending on their tenacity. I have used odor type repellants, but never indoors. Perhaps a visual foil like a tented piece of paper or a piece of pottery. The few times I've dealt with cats, it seems that once they find "their spot", they want to return, so discouraging from the get-go likely a good idea.

No first hand experiences in our house though. No pets, and the grandkids know if they touch Grandpa's audio stuff, they'll lose a finger...

If the finish is actually automotive urethane, the protective film is unlikely to damage, but if it's lacquer of some other solvent based finish intended for furniture or cabinets, I'd be a little wary. I doubt he uses conversion varnish, but if so, that's a really tough finish, more so than catalyzed lacquer.

thorman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2019, 04:15 pm »
 Believe it or not, I ended up using ( small ) sleeping bags which are about 4' in length...I use them over my Devore Silveback's . Protects them from Cold or Heat , also protects them is they get knocked over . I chose a nice solid color sleeping bag and would not be without them......

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2019, 04:30 pm »
Believe it or not, I ended up using ( small ) sleeping bags which are about 4' in length...I use them over my Devore Silveback's . Protects them from Cold or Heat , also protects them is they get knocked over . I chose a nice solid color sleeping bag and would not be without them......

I suspect OP is concerned about "in use" protection. Seems as if you're describing an idle time cover. How does a sleeping bag protect them from heat and cold within a conditioned space such as a home?

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2019, 04:31 pm »
Maybe this will help a little bit...

Reply by Jim Salk to a question:

We do not recommend furniture polishes or waxes.  These will not penetrate the topcoat and will never get to the wood itself anyway.  So there is no advantage to using them.  They will only attract dust faster.

Here at the shop, we use Meguiar's Quick Detailer, available at any auto parts store.  Spay a little on a soft, lint-free cloth and wipe down the surface.  This is used to wipe down cars and works great on lacquer finishes.  It does not leave any residue to attract dust.

- Jim
[/quote]]
We do not recommend furniture polishes or waxes.  These will not penetrate the topcoat and will never get to the wood itself anyway.  So there is no advantage to using them.  They will only attract dust faster.

Here at the shop, we use Meguiar's Quick Detailer, available at any auto parts store.  Spay a little on a soft, lint-free cloth and wipe down the surface.  This is used to wipe down cars and works great on lacquer finishes.  It does not leave any residue to attract dust.

- Jim
[/ftp]

thorman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2019, 06:12 pm »
Sorry about the explanation of the Sleeping Bags......Senior moment....

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2019, 06:34 pm »
I think the OP needs protection from his cat jumping up onto the speaker top.
I’m  thinking perhaps some glass cut to size (the thicker, the better).  Have the glass shop flame polish the edge.
Place on top of the speakers separated by plenty of heavy felt pads adhered to the glass. Perhaps add a rubber pad or two. Hopefully this will keep the glass from sliding when kitty lands or exits.

Easily removable when you’re listening.

Good luck!

JD

NINaudio

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2019, 12:44 am »
I think the OP needs protection from his cat jumping up onto the speaker top.
I’m  thinking perhaps some glass cut to size (the thicker, the better).  Have the glass shop flame polish the edge.
Place on top of the speakers separated by plenty of heavy felt pads adhered to the glass. Perhaps add a rubber pad or two. Hopefully this will keep the glass from sliding when kitty lands or exits.

Easily removable when you’re listening.

Good luck!

JD

Yes, this was the leading idea from Audioholics as well.  I figured a few rubber pads or possibly rubber shelf liner (At Jim's suggestion through email) would keep them in place and prevent them from slipping off the speaker top if kitties jump on them.  Possibly attaching something somewhat spiky to the glass top to prevent them from wanting to sit there and condition them to not jump up there in the first place.

I've got plenty of car cleaning products to keep them clean with, including some great quick detailers similar in function to the Meguiar's.         

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2019, 01:11 am »
Well, if the look of the finish doesn't have to be wood, Jim could probably build them either with a protective coating or some type of non-scratch surface.

NINaudio

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2019, 11:11 am »
 :icon_surprised:
Well, if the look of the finish doesn't have to be wood, Jim could probably build them either with a protective coating or some type of non-scratch surface.

I'm most likely going with silver dyed maple with black burst edges. 

sfar

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2019, 02:49 pm »
Take care choosing what material you put between the glass and the speaker. The isolation blocks made from black rubber or sorbothane pads will leave permanent stains in the varnish on a clear wood finish. If you need to use something like that isolate the pad from the finish with a layer of plastic film like Saran Wrap.

NINaudio

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
OK, so my speakers are nearing completion, at 64%.  I'm planning to get some glass tops cut to put on them.  I know there is cause for concern with normal sorbothane feet, but what about the non-staining urethane coated ones like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-No-Stain-Hemisphere-Non-skid-Adhesive/dp/B01BMYUBII/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=0510104-50-10&qid=1596823052&sr=8-2

I was considering some non skid shelf liner, but they are made from PVC coated polyseter, so the issue of plasticizers messing up the finish comes back into play there. 

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:08 pm »
Another idea: Purchase a small thin rug pad made with maximum grip strength in mind. Use contact cement to glue two sheets of the material together, felt face to felt face. Cut pads from the resulting sandwich. You now have a presumably "finish safe" material with a lot of grip strength on both sides to resist skidding. Note the info at the bottom of the page about checking whether to use natural rubber or vinyl with different wood finishes. I have purchased multiple pads from this business for use with our oriental rugs and they are very good quality.

https://www.rugpadusa.com/collections/for-hardwood-floors/products/rugpro

By the way, I have heard reports that Sorbothane is terrible about leaving marks in finishes, perform due diligence investigating.

Carl V

« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2020, 11:30 pm »
google Museum Quality Putty .

You might consider round Felt pad...or Cork.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:14 pm »
Hi,

Get rid of the cats or don't let them in the listening room lol  :icon_lol:.  I've had 2 Salk Sound speakers damaged by cats sitting on top and then jumping off.  i sold my Salk Sound HT2's as they were badly damaged. This is a true story:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119162.0

I then bought Salk Sound Ht3's and bugger me dead the same thing happened.  Luckily, a french polisher fixed the damage so its not that obvious.

Good luck.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2020, 03:27 am by Rocket »

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2020, 04:05 am »
Hey Guys,

I feel like I'm the thread killer...  Anyway, here is a photo of the bugger that damaged my HT3's but luckily I had them fixed so its all good.  My opinion is that Cats and speakers don't really match.  Can you possibly have your stereo room locked so they don't enter it.

Cheers Rod

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2020, 02:44 pm »
I guess I was lucky.  Many years ago we had three cats and none of them showed any interest in my speakers or gear.  They even didn’t bother the SVS cylinder sub (for those who don’t know, SVS cylinder subs are covered in a carpet like material).

NINaudio

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:09 pm »
Another idea: Purchase a small thin rug pad made with maximum grip strength in mind. Use contact cement to glue two sheets of the material together, felt face to felt face. Cut pads from the resulting sandwich. You now have a presumably "finish safe" material with a lot of grip strength on both sides to resist skidding. Note the info at the bottom of the page about checking whether to use natural rubber or vinyl with different wood finishes. I have purchased multiple pads from this business for use with our oriental rugs and they are very good quality.

https://www.rugpadusa.com/collections/for-hardwood-floors/products/rugpro

By the way, I have heard reports that Sorbothane is terrible about leaving marks in finishes, perform due diligence investigating.

Ahh, thanks.  I will definitely look into those rugpads.  I know Sorbothane was known to cause issues, but didn't know if their non-staining variety was as well. 

Get rid of the cats or don't let them in the listening room lol  :icon_lol:

Neither are options, that's why I'm looking for ways to protect the tops.  I also plan on mounting some plastic spikes on the glass tops to deter them from even trying to jump up there. 

NINaudio

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:30 pm »
@Photon46, it looks like this may be perfect and no gluing needed:

https://www.rugpadusa.com/collections/natural-rubber/products/super-lock-natural

Photon46

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:17 pm »
@Photon46, it looks like this may be perfect and no gluing needed:

https://www.rugpadusa.com/collections/natural-rubber/products/super-lock-natural

I have one of those rug pads (for use for rugs) and they do work well. The only reason I pointed out the other material that needs gluing is because that type of rug pad has even higher resistance to slipping. The material you linked to would probably do the trick.

I also wonder if putting a bit of felt or sponge soaked in a cat repellant made from essential oils and spices on top of the glass would help discourage the behavior?