Super 3 Series

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super 3 Series
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jan 2014, 06:37 pm »
Hi romanrolan,

Concerning the various Super 3 speakers, they each have something different to offer.  What is your application for them?  Room or desktop?
Bookshelf or stand mount?  Etc?

romanrolan

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:14 pm »
Hi Canada Rob, very happy that they told me it was you, you have experience with super3, I have two types of positions super3, I can put them on a big massive oak desk, and I can set my system along the long wall, and so I immediately asked question about the sound of each model ...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:23 am »
romanrolan,

The Super 3T is the entry into the Omega line and is best on a bookshelf, credenza, or stands.  They will also work on a desktop if you have the real estate to accommodate the wide baffle.
The Super 3 Desktop is the smallest Omega ever made and has a narrower baffle making them suitable for beside a computer monitor.  The downfiring port gives them more flexabilty on the desktop being they don't require a wall behind for bass reinforcement - they use the desktop.
The Super 3i is the Leatherman of the Omega line.  Great on a larger desktop, credenza, or stands.  The fullest and best sounding of the three.

They all sound fantastic but the 3i has the edge.  Bass wise the 3i is the best, then the 3T, then the 3 Desktop.  The 3i and 3T often don't need a sub (depending on situation), and even though the 3 Desktop sounds full, a sub is a nice addition.  The 3 Desktop with a sub will however put it in a different class than the other two by themselves though.  With the spikes and downfiring port the 3 Desktop can also be a true bookshelf speaker with books on either side and touching the wall behind.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 06:33 pm by Canada Rob »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #43 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:26 am »
The 3i and 3T don't need a sub, .........

YMMV

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 30 Jan 2014, 03:48 am »
YMMV
What's YMMV mean?  I'm not up on my code.

CSI

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jan 2014, 04:44 am »
Your mileage may vary (as in the car ad disclaimer)

romanrolan

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:19 pm »
OK, let's say I buy super3i, at what minimum distance from the wall can I install them?
Does anyone have experience of using omega super3 together with Almarro 205 mkii?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jan 2014, 09:57 pm »
OK, let's say I buy super3i, at what minimum distance from the wall can I install them?

See reply #3 and reply #6 here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123135.msg1297719#msg1297719

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 1 Feb 2014, 06:40 pm »
Does anyone have experience of using omega super3 together with Almarro 205 mkii?
opnly bafld answered your first question.  In answer to your second question the Super 3i would be incredible with the Almarro A205 MKII.
Frankly, it would be one of my top recommendations for an amp.

romanrolan

« Reply #49 on: 1 Feb 2014, 11:03 pm »
Many thanks Canada Rob, I think the proper way to go! :D

jkneiling

« Reply #50 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:49 pm »
The speakers look great, and seem to be very well built and based on sound principles (no pun intended). The specifications include frequency response ranges. Are these F3, F0, or at some other boundary? I know that there is more to good sound than numbers, but as long as they are posted, it would help to know the full spec.

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #51 on: 25 Mar 2014, 08:52 am »
Yes, and while we're asking for specifications, how many watts (peak/continuous) is the RS5 driver rated to handle?  (Asking again)

I know it's not for headbangers, but for instance can it reach "realistic" levels (105 dB) in a large room, or is it only good for "more comfortable" levels in a small room?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:21 pm »
The speakers look great, and seem to be very well built and based on sound principles (no pun intended). The specifications include frequency response ranges. Are these F3, F0, or at some other boundary? I know that there is more to good sound than numbers, but as long as they are posted, it would help to know the full spec.

Thanks
F6 in room.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:40 pm »
Yes, and while we're asking for specifications, how many watts (peak/continuous) is the RS5 driver rated to handle?  (Asking again)

I know it's not for headbangers, but for instance can it reach "realistic" levels (105 dB) in a large room, or is it only good for "more comfortable" levels in a small room?
30 watts continuous for the RS5.  105db in a large room with a 4.5 inch driver?  Why do you want to abuse your ears?  Add a Speed Twelve and you may approach that.  Check out the thread where a Speed Twelve and Super 3XRS's are teamed up.  If you don't listen at 105db, the question is a moot point.  The Super 3XRS is capable of sounding huge on a couple of quality watts, in a large room.

All the RS5 based speakers are capable of delivering sound much larger than their small size would indicate, but they want quality (not necessarily expensive) amplification in front of them.  They are the most transparent speakers I have heard and are grossly underpriced.  They will clearly reveal even subtile changes in anything up line.  Anyone shopping for speakers in the $2000 - $4000 dollar range should consider the Omega Super 3 series (and Super 5 Monitor) in that group when they shop, and I am still being conservative.

seikosha

« Reply #54 on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:37 pm »

Just guessing, but I'd think if you are looking for 105db levels from the little RS5, you'd probably be better off looking elsewhere.  Surely there have to be better speakers out there for listening to music that loud.  It's kind of like looking at a Ferrari and wanting to know if you can get 30mpg out of it.  Little drivers and huge/loud spl levels don't go together just like Sports Cars and high MPG don't.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 25 Mar 2014, 09:11 pm »
About 105 dB is possible with a sub, measured close to those levels with the older hemp drivers.

I think if you had a Speed 12 and rolled off the RS5 around 150 Hz you could get well over 105 dB peaks.

I don't agree the Super 3 XRS is capable of sounding huge in a big room, that's just against the laws of physics, but I do agree they sound so much larger than they actually are it blows away everyone that has ever heard my system.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #56 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:39 pm »
Thanks so much guys. 105 dB is often quoted as the sound pressure level of symphonic peaks, hence my query. And no, I very rarely listen anywhere near 105 dB. But I wouldn't be interested in a speaker system (possibly with sub) that can't cover 30 Hz at 105 dB. Obvious not the most important aspect for speaker shopping but I consider it fundamental.

Added 03/26/2014:

I consider one of my most important audio components is the hearing protection I wear while mowing.  Years ago I used to really push around here that extended exposure to 85 dB or more will result in permanent hearing loss and possibly permanent pain.  I have a friend at work who is apparently suffering from tinnitus and it is literally starting to drive him crazy.

On the other hand classical music is known to have peaks of 30 dB, so 105 dB can easily 'sneak up' on you (and cause amplifier/speaker damage).  And I know that small extended range drivers typically have very limited power handling capabilities.  Reading that the RS5 can handle 20 - 30 watts is comforting.

Dave:  130 - 150 Hz is a better sub cutoff than most realize as that is the range that in (residentially sized) room sound propagation transforms from waves to rays.  As waves frequency response can vary +/- 20 dB depending on frequency and location if using a single source (or typical side by side sources).  The only good answer is the use of multiple subs.  Search the web and here at AC for "swarm" or read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" for more information.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014, 09:55 am by JLM »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #57 on: 26 Mar 2014, 12:01 am »
I agree JLM and would actually like more on occasion. I don't want to damage my hearing, but clean undistorted sound at high SPLs for short periods of time is not a problem. SPL and exposure time are both factors in how much SPLs can be tolerated.

I think with a pair of Speed 12s and the RS5s limited in the low end either mechanically or with a cap would be capable of exceeding your expectations. And would make for a really amazing system too.

Brianportugal

« Reply #58 on: 19 Nov 2014, 07:06 pm »
About 3 months ago I purchased a pr of 3XRS and I'm amazed !! Louis you are a magician. I have it running with a Primaluna and plan to purchase a Decware Rachel at some point. I have never had so much enjoyment as I have with the 3XRS. I have had Magnapan Tympani IDs with AR and vintage Mac, Apogee Centaur Minors with DNA.5, Spica TC50s, Spica angelus with Primaluna, Totem Dreamcatchers, Paradigms and the list goes on. These Omega 3XRS sound amazing. My preferences are resolution/detail, soundstage and rhythm. I play vocals, guitar instruments, jazz and popcountry music. They more than exceed my expectation. Add tubes and it's a wonderful experience. All this with streaming Spotify and a Berringer cheap ($30) Dac and Evergreen audioquest cables / Blue jean speaker wire. My room is 10x12 and not a rectangle. The sound is so satisfying I find myself listening 3 times as much as I used to. 
Thanks Louis and Siekosi for letting me know about these speakers.
Brian