Should you tin bare .9999 pure copper wire before inserting into connectors?

Rock Ball

I've been watching videos and reading about building crossovers with the high quality copper wire that Danny provides with his kits.  On the crossovers, exposed copper wire is sealed with heat shrink to reduce or prevent oxidation.  That makes sense to me.

What about the bare ends of the pure copper wire that are inserted into the servo sub terminals or the Neutrik connector terminals?  Obviously, these can't be sealed with heat shrink.  Should those be lightly tinned to prevent eventual oxidation?

I am referring to screw down or clamp down connections that the wire cannot be soldered to.

Danny Richie

You can tin them.

Dynky

I always advise against tinning wires that are used in a screw/clamping terminal such as Neutrik Speakon for example, because over time the soft solder will move under the mechanical stress of the screw and they'll loose their grip as a result.

If you really want to use something on those specific screw terminals, use cable lugs (those are also available in pure copper or better if needed) but don't tin wires before insertion in a screw terminal.

maty

Tinned is the logical.

It is not a matter of spending money, simply ensuring that the contact is the best possible.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Technically no, cold-flow is a real thing.  Some DeoxIT and that's it.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Caig Labs Gold (DeOxit) also comes in slightly different flavors. The red is for dirtier, or oxidized connections that need better cleaning. The green is for connections which need ozone and chemical protection (beside a good electrical contact enhancer)

From my experience bare copper or silver which is protected fro the moving air, in general stays cleaner and does not oxidize.  IE inside a sealed AC plug or RCA.
Wires which are still open to the air do oxidize.
So the covering of connections with shrinkwrap is a good idea. A easy cheap alternative is to use plumbers' Teflon tape. I like the blue tape as it is thicker and stronger. Wrapping the connection seals out the air. keeping your copper clean and shiny.