Pulled the trigger on Perfect Storms

Chrisandalex1

Re: Pulled the trigger on Perfect Storms
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2015, 09:29 pm »
why would anyone need a sub with those Perfect Storm speakers? From the description it looks like they're bigger and they go lower than my Nimbus Black...and I don't need a sub...those Nimbus hit me in the chest with a full orchestra force when i play Mahler Sym 1...

Only when playing movies.  My system is 2 channel and HT capable.  For music, if we get room treatment done, probably never a need.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #41 on: 5 Mar 2015, 01:34 am »
LOL,

Patience has never been one of my virtues.  This is why I have a garage full of shit I used once or twice and then never again. I also have art under just about every bed in the house.  So yes, I tend to throw money around.  Sometimes with success, most times with the need to throw some more

In this case, I am going to try to learn from my mistakes and exercise some self control.  I want to get it right this time.

This is a long shot, but do you have a space above or below the main room?  Mounting some woofers in a manifold that uses the space between the ceiling and roof as the enclosure would make for a great Infinite Baffle sub.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #42 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:17 am »
Well, long shots occasionally pay off.  I actually have a space that is about 2 feet deep by about 18" across that extends the whole length of the room.  One side only.

It is about 12 feet off the ground though.  My ceiling is from 14' at the sides to 16' in the center.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:22 am »
Built-in could be cool, but I'd be worried about the subs making the walls rattle.

I'd probably lean toward Danley, BagEnd or Triad for an LFE sub. I doubt I'd want one for music.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #44 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:27 am »
Built-in could be cool, but I'd be worried about the subs making the walls rattle.

I'd probably lean toward Danley, BagEnd or Triad for an LFE sub. I doubt I'd want one for music.

The walls are all cement and block Dave.  I think it would be weird, but it is well hidden and could easily be isolated.  I could even have it built into the block with the enclosure behind the block wall.  I don't know.  When you are here, we can take a look at it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #45 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:36 am »
What are you looking for in an HT sub?

If you don't mind boxes and are looking for VERY impressive output and extension, get a couple of Seaton Submersives and never look back. (I've got one JL Audio f113 and a converted AV123 MFW 15 Turbo. The Seaton blows them out of the water for HT)

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #46 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:51 am »
What are you looking for in an HT sub?

If you don't mind boxes and are looking for VERY impressive output and extension, get a couple of Seaton Submersives and never look back. (I've got one JL Audio f113 and a converted AV123 MFW 15 Turbo. The Seaton blows them out of the water for HT)

In this setup, it will be for HT only.  Preamp is the Bryston SP3. 

In my Von Schweikert setup, the subs can be for both HT and for music listening.  Two very different approaches.  Hence some of my confusion.

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 5 Mar 2015, 10:52 am »
If you want a musical and a theatre subwoofer I highly recommend the Seaton and Quested Subwoofers. The quested is 10inch with a radiator but goes down to 16hz

Sealed subwoofer is best for music in my opinion. Paper cone are faster for music.

you could buy multiple small subs which can easily hide away in the room this would be the best choice but setup would be harder initially.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #48 on: 5 Mar 2015, 01:04 pm »
If you want a musical and a theatre subwoofer I highly recommend the Seaton and Quested Subwoofers. The quested is 10inch with a radiator but goes down to 16hz

Sealed subwoofer is best for music in my opinion. Paper cone are faster for music.

you could buy multiple small subs which can easily hide away in the room this would be the best choice but setup would be harder initially.

BTW, I appreciate this part.  I will look into both.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #49 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:23 pm »
In this setup, it will be for HT only.  Preamp is the Bryston SP3. 

In my Von Schweikert setup, the subs can be for both HT and for music listening.  Two very different approaches.  Hence some of my confusion.

Then I'll stick to my recommendation of the Seaton Submersives.

I heard them at the Newport Beach Show last year and was truly impressed.

Afterwards I talked to him in the hall outside the room and he mentioned the "after hours" demo that would be after the show ended for the day. There was an agreement to not turn the volume up during the show hours (although the first demo I heard was pretty impressive). I decided to wander back and I worked my way into the room (packed, standing room only - word got around). Mark talked about the system briefly and it was nothing special on the front end (Onkyo receiver feeding a commercial amp - believe it was Crown), then turned on the demo.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Absolutely incredible, Admittedly a small room for that many speakers, but it was extremely crowded and still impressed.

Haven't heard anything on the same level for HT.

Factorz

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:43 pm »
Your going to have a killer system and I can't wait to see the Perfect Storms next month at Axpona. Please post pictures when your system is complete.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #51 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:53 pm »
Please post pictures when your system is complete.
YES Please!
Also, please post pics in the HT Circle "Show us your room" thread!  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #52 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:07 pm »
You guys gotta understand, the subwoofer I was talking about - a stacked ply TL with the Precision Devices 21" woofer - is in a whole new league compared to anything else mentioned here.  A 21" subwoofer that can handle 4000 watts continuous with only 2db of power compression!  Seriously, there's no finished subwoofer available that uses a driver of that level.  We're going to be using a couple of them for an install in South Carolina soon.  The customer asked what's the best you can imagine, let alone build ... well that's it. 

Precision Devices does make a 24" woofer too, but the volumes needed for that are just into the ridiculous category. 

sts9fan

« Reply #53 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:12 pm »
Antelope better be the first song played. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:17 pm »
the volumes needed for that are just into the ridiculous category.
Having been to your house, and knowing what volumes you consider "normal", that is REALLY saying something when YOU use the word "ridiculous".  :lol:

Bob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:19 pm »
dc10 built a speaker using this monster:  :o

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-31-woofers/fostex-fw800hs-31.5-super-woofer/

http://www.dc10audio.com/gottenburg.html

I've never heard the 31" Fostex nor the Precision Devices 21" or 24", but I do own an 18" sub for my bass guitar and it can shake my entire house!... I can only imagine what one of these huge woofers would sound like!

sts9fan, lol... this is very likely!  :green:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #56 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:32 pm »
Hey Bob, things have spiraled out of control since last time you saw what we're working on.  Everything seems to be growing exponentially in size, and my back has been suffering from the difference in weight   :cry:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #57 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:40 pm »

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-31-woofers/fostex-fw800hs-31.5-super-woofer/

Again, whole different ball game ... 6 inch voice coil vs 3.9 inch, 1000 watts continuous vs 150, 10.5mm xmax vs 2.3mm.  The PD woofers are top of the food chain for high output HT bass. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #58 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:41 pm »

http://www.dc10audio.com/gottenburg.html

I've never heard the 31" Fostex nor the Precision Devices 21" or 24", but I do own an 18" sub for my bass guitar and it can shake my entire house!... I can only imagine what one of these huge woofers would sound like!

sts9fan, lol... this is very likely!  :green:

Dave,

Cool Fostex link.

Are you building speaker cables for DC10 audio now? :thumb:

http://www.dc10audio.com/amps.html#anchor_speakercables

For finished subs...I guess this isn't impressive enough  :D : http://www.funkaudio.ca/store/p26/Funk_Audio_21.0.html

Best,
Anand.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:45 pm »
Hey Bob, things have spiraled out of control since last time you saw what we're working on.  Everything seems to be growing exponentially in size, and my back has been suffering from the difference in weight   :cry:
Everything alright man? Sounds like you've got some stories.
Let me know if you need anything....and don't forget about that free beer I have for you.
My other drunken friends have been coming over, so there's not as much as I used to have.

Bob