Nimbus

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Nimbus
« Reply #60 on: 24 May 2013, 01:39 pm »
Hardly an "uninteresting enclosure"  those curves are phenomenal, it sounds like a very big speaker but looks like it has much lighter feet.

They look smaller in pics than they do in real life.  They completely dominate Ryan's living room.  I'm sure they'll look "propa" downstairs in the main listening room.  And lighter feet would not be how I'd describe how they feel when we have to move them around . . . (where's the "oh my aching back" smiley?)

We got our measurements before calling it a long day yesterday and it looks like we'll wind up with another "Joule-like" simple crossover that produces a smooth 2nd order acoustic alignment.

EdRo, "ho-hum" and "uninteresting" were the definition of facetious commentary.  Ryan and I are both overwhelmed by the final look.  It's one thing to see them on paper, but to take 3 dimensional reality in the room is something else completely.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2013, 01:49 pm »
Did I miss the posted measurements and cost?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #62 on: 24 May 2013, 02:14 pm »
Did I miss the posted measurements and cost?

We'll get those soon.  We should have them both up and playing today for final voicing.  Preliminary measurement look excellent with exceedingly low distortion and a smooth nominal 8 Ohm impedance.  We'll also be setting final cost very soon.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2013, 01:02 am »
Very nice shot here, taken with the 12mm lens.  They're buttoned up and ready for Newport Beach.  Tomorrow we load the car and begin the loooong 1800 mile drive  :o

Pete and I hope to meet some new people out there, Atrium Room 206 along with Empirical Audio and Arte Forma.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2013, 02:21 am »
Awesome.

I got to stop by your room then.

mtruong34

« Reply #65 on: 28 May 2013, 04:46 am »
Dangit Ryan.  Can I trade in my Cirrus Black?  The Nimbus looks freakin' awesome.  And that's the only way I'll get rid of my Cirrus - is for another Vapor product.

-Mike

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #66 on: 28 May 2013, 04:54 am »
Dangit Ryan.  Can I trade in my Cirrus Black?  The Nimbus looks freakin' awesome.  And that's the only way I'll get rid of my Cirrus - is for another Vapor product.

-Mike

Hey Mike, first off glad to hear you're happy with your Cirrus after the somewhat rocky start.  I'm sure we could work out a very amicable trade-in if you're serious. 

It does look freakin' awesome doesn't it  :lol:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #67 on: 28 May 2013, 05:13 am »
Sorry, but the look doesn't quite gel for me on two counts. I think the baffle board needs to be somewhat concave in overall appearance with the mids tilted down and up, respectively, around the tweeter. I also think the plinths' corner edges should continue the edges of the cabinets they are supporting so, for example, the rear corners would travel inwards and forwards as the cabinet corners do and the front corners (with this flat and near-vertical baffle) would be tilting inward to continue the baffle shape above it.

These are intended as constructive observations, of course.  :D

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #68 on: 28 May 2013, 06:44 am »
I think they look phenomenal.  I am sure there some things you guys will change in future iterations but this a far better "designed" than most speakers I have seen.  I really look forward to hearing them if they make it back from THE show.  If they sound half as good as they look they will be phenomenal.  I love the logo hardwood detail on the base.

mtruong34

« Reply #69 on: 28 May 2013, 09:49 am »
Hey Mike, first off glad to hear you're happy with your Cirrus after the somewhat rocky start.  I'm sure we could work out a very amicable trade-in if you're serious. 

It does look freakin' awesome doesn't it  :lol:

Hey Ryan, that was just a rhetorical question as I don't have the room now, but maybe in the future...
Keep up the good work.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 29 May 2013, 12:59 pm »
Great work!  The Nimbus fits well with your other offerings on the website.  How would one choose between your speaker offerings?  Geesh...

The price is right on the Nimbus as well.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 29 May 2013, 01:01 pm »
Great work!  The Nimbus fits well with your other offerings on the website.  How would one choose between your speaker offerings?  Geesh...

The price is right on the Nimbus as well.   :thumb:

What do you know?  :wink:

We'll get those soon.  We should have them both up and playing today for final voicing.  Preliminary measurement look excellent with exceedingly low distortion and a smooth nominal 8 Ohm impedance.  We'll also be setting final cost very soon.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 29 May 2013, 01:34 pm »
What do you know?  :wink:

$7,895 for the Nimbus.  The Cirrus Black gets one almost the entire way to audio nirvana.  How would they then choose between the Joule and Nimbus if they wanted to take it 1/4 step further.  Wooh!  :scratch:

BTW, I don't think Vapor is done with their product line.  Folks better purchase before the decisions get even more difficult.

roscoeiii

« Reply #73 on: 31 May 2013, 10:28 pm »
Know y'all are out at a show, but at some point, I am curious why you went with a single big woofer as opposed to the multiple woofer approach that seems to be more common for floor standers.

Great looking speakers. Now I have another reason to come down to St Louis...

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #74 on: 31 May 2013, 10:51 pm »
BTW, I don't think Vapor is done with their product line.  Folks better purchase before the decisions get even more difficult.

I'd love to see a really high efficiency design with a minimum impedance of 8 ohms.   :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #75 on: 31 May 2013, 11:05 pm »
I'd love to see a really high efficiency design with a minimum impedance of 8 ohms.   :thumb:

Think when Von Schweikert tried that they didn't find a ton of interest

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #76 on: 31 May 2013, 11:07 pm »
Think when Von Schweikert tried that they didn't find a ton of interest

Undoubtedly because their price points are "unrealistic". . .

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #77 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:10 am »

The Nimbus is 93db sensitive, and does have a min 8 ohm impedance

roscoeiii

« Reply #78 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:56 am »
The Nimbus is 93db sensitive, and does have a min 8 ohm impedance

Very impressive. And a benefit of that single woofer, no?

EdRo

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jul 2013, 02:56 pm »