Sprout 100

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Sprout 100
« on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:33 am »
Here's another wonderful C&C offering: the PS Audio Sprout 100. 

Unfortunately the original $499 model has been pulled, but three years later the new one ($599 USD) offers twice the power, higher digital format reach, and a remote.  The feature count is up to: vinyl, analog, bluetooth, USB, and optical inputs; analog, headphone, subwoofer, and banana outputs;  50 wpc/8 ohms or 100 wpc/4 ohms, 384/24 PCM/128 DSD (USB) digital formats, indicator light, and maintaining the internal 110/60 and 240/50 power supply.  All this in the same 3 pound, 6" x 2" x 8" package from a quality high-end American company.

Caught quick reviews where used with KEF LS50 ($1500/pair) and Fritz Carbon 7 ($2500/pair) speakers.  Obviously C&C speakers could be used, but nice to know it can match up well with better speakers.  Would make for a wonderful centerpiece of a hardcore audiophile travel, office, desktop system or the basis for a very competent system for the rest of us.

fredgarvin

Re: Sprout 100
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2018, 03:32 pm »
It also has a defeatable bass boost, which in the older model was fixed. That was one major complaint about it.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2018, 05:14 pm »
Get a pair of Betsy's and it will be under $1K. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2018, 05:20 pm »
Here's another wonderful C&C offering: the PS Audio Sprout 100. 

Unfortunately the original $499 model has been pulled, but three years later the new one ($599 USD) offers twice the power, higher digital format reach, and a remote. 

Caught quick reviews where used with KEF LS50 ($1500/pair) and Fritz Carbon 7 ($2500/pair) speakers.  Obviously C&C speakers could be used, but nice to know it can match up well with better speakers. 

I don’t know if $500+ for an amp falls into the C&C category by definition of this circle, but when I pulled my SET out of my system and replaced it with a TPA 3116... that gave me pause as the ultra inexpensive ($20) TPA did a much better job driving the Spatial’s than the SET. FWIW, for the money I don’t think there is anything that can complete with it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2018, 06:31 pm »
A big advantage of an all in one unit like this is that for your $600 you need only add a source and speakers.

It is your DAC, pre and amp.

Over time, different portions will become out of date (DAC most likely), so one has to consider how much that matters. 

Of course the same holds true for all the pieces in this category from Wadia, NuForce, Peachtree etc.

I have always wanted to try one of those Wadia PowerDAC's, but I don't think it supports 24/192 and I have a few GB of that format in my collection now.

The Sprout offers an interesting package for the $!

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:09 pm »
Windy:  Whether it fits into the C&C guidelines is up to the moderator, but with computer/phone choices as sources you'd have just shy of $400 to spend on speakers to have an under $1k system.

Mark:  Yes any combo unit faces the 'out of date' challenge (among others).  And maybe we're approaching a point of diminishing returns in regards to DAC price/performance.  From what I gather the Wadia was harsh sounding.  No other budget combo piece from a high-end company comes in near this price.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2018, 11:33 am by JLM »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:34 pm »
Windy:  Whether it fits into the C&C guidelines is up to the moderator, but with computer/phone choices as sources you'd have just shy of $400 to spend on speakers to have an under $1k system.

Good point, I didn't realize it included a DAC.  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2018, 04:37 pm »
As to your inquiry, from the guidelines.
"Individual components shouldn't exceed  $350 however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650."

So yes, a great C and C find.  I've heard the old Sprout only in a demonstration display of all of VPI's turntables, at least the actually affordable ones, hooked up to unfamiliar headphones through the Sprout.  So I couldn't comment on actual sound quality, but you could easily hear the difference in the various turntable/cartridge/headphone combinations though the Sprout.  (There was no way to judge the different tables as VPI also upgraded the cartridge and the headphone model within the line as you moved up in turntables)

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2018, 07:05 pm »
Good point, I didn't realize it included a DAC.  :thumb:

Yes, but how good is the dac? Steve Guttenberg has a curious comment in his review:
“I started to note the Sprout 100's internal digital converters overlaid the music with a fine, cool haze, and when I bypassed those converters by hooking up my Oppo BDP 105's analog output to the '100's analog inputs, the haze evaporated and the sound clarified. Audiophiles without Oppo players might want to consider adding an outboard digital converter such as the Schiit Modi 2 Uber ($149) for use with the Sprout 100. I know I would.”

https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-a-pint-size-yet-feature-packed-power-amp-from-ps-audio/

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2018, 08:14 pm »
Yes, but how good is the dac?

Another good point!

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2018, 09:21 pm »
Part Time Audiophile reviewer much liked the Sprout 100 and notes no problems with the DAC.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/06/22/review-ps-audio-sprout-100-dac-integrated-amplifier/

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2018, 09:51 pm »
Not just a haze, but a fine,  cool one.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm »
Part Time Audiophile reviewer much liked the Sprout 100 and notes no problems with the DAC.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/06/22/review-ps-audio-sprout-100-dac-integrated-amplifier/

Who do you trust more, a part time audiophile or a full time audiophile? :lol:

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2018, 10:10 am »
Yes, but how good is the dac? Steve Guttenberg has a curious comment in his review:
“I started to note the Sprout 100's internal digital converters overlaid the music with a fine, cool haze, and when I bypassed those converters by hooking up my Oppo BDP 105's analog output to the '100's analog inputs, the haze evaporated and the sound clarified. Audiophiles without Oppo players might want to consider adding an outboard digital converter such as the Schiit Modi 2 Uber ($149) for use with the Sprout 100. I know I would.”

https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-a-pint-size-yet-feature-packed-power-amp-from-ps-audio/

That criticism of the DAC section surprises me as PS Audio is well regarded for their high-end DAC's.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2018, 04:30 pm »
Here is another very positive review, using the Sprout 100 in a serious audio system driving $3500 speakers.

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/5/17/ps-audio-sprout100-integrated-amplifier

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2018, 07:48 pm »
First time I heard the 100 was about a year ago and it was powering Infinity ISRVs. Kinda wild to see a tiny amp with those speakers. I don't think you can beat this for 600 bucks (or less if you give it a while)

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2018, 12:11 pm »
That criticism of the DAC section surprises me as PS Audio is well regarded for their high-end DAC's.

Yes, exactly. The comment gave me head-scratching pause considering PS Audio’s rep. Still, it’s not enough to dampen my interest especially after reading the Audiophilia review. (Thanks Tom.) I need a small amp for travel and have been using a NAD D 3020, a very nice little amp that does the job but I could use more power.

NAD D 3020
30 watts x 2
24-bit/96kHz DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial digital inputs for connecting a computer or network streaming device
Bluetooth and aptX® wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible devices

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:23 pm »

The danger of such a statement in a review is that it can influence listeners to believe they also hear the same thing.  Now perhaps it is real, but it doesn't have to be real for people to "hear" it.  Once a perception is created, it can spread. 

I once knew an audio shop store owner who stocked $40 interconnects.  He ordered them in red, black, and blue jackets.   He told everyday customers that the red ones brightened a system, the black ones tamed highs, and the blue ones imparted a smoothness through the midrange.  He sold those cables for maybe 10 years with almost no returns.  People were happy with them.   All three were the same cable.  It was really the power of suggestion.   The same thing happens with reviews.  A reviewer perceives something, maybe it is there, maybe it isn't.  And that published perception will follow that product forever. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2018, 05:23 pm »
The danger of such a statement in a review is that it can influence listeners to believe they also hear the same thing.  Now perhaps it is real, but it doesn't have to be real for people to "hear" it.  Once a perception is created, it can spread. 

I once knew an audio shop store owner who stocked $40 interconnects.  He ordered them in red, black, and blue jackets.   He told everyday customers that the red ones brightened a system, the black ones tamed highs, and the blue ones imparted a smoothness through the midrange.  He sold those cables for maybe 10 years with almost no returns.  People were happy with them.   All three were the same cable.  It was really the power of suggestion.   The same thing happens with reviews.  A reviewer perceives something, maybe it is there, maybe it isn't.  And that published perception will follow that product forever.

Even so, A reviewer's job is to report what he hears. The Sabre DAC chip in the Sprout100 replaces the earlier Wolfson dAC. He apparently hears the difference. It's up to the reader to decide what he himself hears.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2018, 05:35 pm »
The DAC comment should not be a surprise. The unit is an all in one for $600, runs on an smps, and uses an older ESS chip (9016). That's a lot of compromises. So of course it's likely to sound better with external input from a decent source. The icepower amp is the star here as it is probably the 50asx2 or 125 which many people love. For $600 the Sprout sounds like a great deal.