Idea on a finish for V3's...thoughts?

bigred7078

Idea on a finish for V3's...thoughts?
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:02 am »
So i emailed Jim about an idea i had for some V3's and i figured i would ask peoples opinion. I dont know if he can even do it though, or if would be in my price range, but here it goes...

I've been interested in some V3's or HT2 TL's and have been trying to figure out finish options.

I really like front baffles finished in black aluminium like the emotiva 8.3's

But i also like wood finishes. I currnetly have some deep rosewood finished speakers and though it would be cool to have the  black aluminium front baffle with the rest covered in rosewood like this.

I guess its a very "different" idea, but i like it. Anyone have thoughts, opinions, or objections about this? I would appreciate any comments  :D

Thanks guys.

nyc_paramedic

Re: Idea on a finish for V3's...thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:14 am »
I like the idea. Reminds me of another very classy speaker in Rosewood, the Joseph Audio Pearl. http://www.josephaudio.com/JosephAudio/Pearl.html

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:18 am »
I like the idea very much!  You have great taste.  ;)

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:32 am »
I too think it's a great idea and would look incredible.  But I have to ask; what does the "wife" have to say?  Something you'll need to consider, no? :P

Congrats by the way!  :D

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:18 am »
It should probably look great...have you thought of that idea compared to just going with a high gloss (Piano) Black?

I think a metal like aluminium (silver) would look great with a light wood finish....I'm not a huge fan of the color of aluminium you're referring to.

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:35 am »
I love the rosewoods and a black anodized aluminum baffle would be a very nice pairing, though I am sure that the cost for a premium veneer and custom milled baffles (unless Jim is now offering them as a standard option for the V3 or HT2-TL) would be significant.  I wound up spending way more than I intended on premium finish options (no regrets, they turned out beautiful).  Just something to keep an eye on as those options add up quickly.  If you go for your original idea there is no doubt they will be amazing.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:16 am »
Given Salk Sound's latest aluminum-veneered, HT-3 based HT system, maybe it isn't entirely necessary to go with a fully milled  aluminum front baffle. Maybe it can be veneered with a black-anodized aluminum veneer?  :dunno:

Ask Jim. He'll know. :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:28 am »
Hi,

It totally depends on how much you wish to pay for a finish.  Jim has recently completed an aluminium finished speaker but it took one week to do.  He did state in the thread that it would be quicker next time.

In my experience Jim had a good range of veneers to chose from within his standard range.  I bought ht2 (non tl) and went for the deluxe version and was able to have them finished in bosse pommele.

Now if you really want a beautiful finish go for the hand rubbed gloss finish.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Rod

bigred7078

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:01 pm »
I like the idea very much!  You have great taste.  ;)

Thank you Nuance  8)

bigred7078

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:03 pm »
I too think it's a great idea and would look incredible.  But I have to ask; what does the "wife" have to say?  Something you'll need to consider, no? :P

Congrats by the way!  :D

Haha!!! She loves all the audio stuff i am into, so i think i got lucky  :thumb:

Thanks TJHUB!!!! Im very excited!

bigred7078

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:04 pm »
It should probably look great...have you thought of that idea compared to just going with a high gloss (Piano) Black?

I think a metal like aluminium (silver) would look great with a light wood finish....I'm not a huge fan of the color of aluminium you're referring to.

eh piano finish is boring for me these days. I'm also not a light wood finish kinda guy hence why i like rosewood.   Thanks for commenting though!

bigred7078

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:06 pm »
Given Salk Sound's latest aluminum-veneered, HT-3 based HT system, maybe it isn't entirely necessary to go with a fully milled  aluminum front baffle. Maybe it can be veneered with a black-anodized aluminum veneer?  :dunno:

Ask Jim. He'll know. :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

yeah i saw those HT3's, they looked pretty darn good! But i think i like the idea of combining the black anodized aluminium with the roch rosewood veneer. I don't know why, i just have had that idea in my head lol.

bigred7078

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:07 pm »
I love the rosewoods and a black anodized aluminum baffle would be a very nice pairing, though I am sure that the cost for a premium veneer and custom milled baffles (unless Jim is now offering them as a standard option for the V3 or HT2-TL) would be significant.  I wound up spending way more than I intended on premium finish options (no regrets, they turned out beautiful).  Just something to keep an eye on as those options add up quickly.  If you go for your original idea there is no doubt they will be amazing.

Man your telling me! The options really do add up lol. Hopefully the cost would not be to crazy...

bigred7078

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:11 pm »
Hi,

It totally depends on how much you wish to pay for a finish.  Jim has recently completed an aluminium finished speaker but it took one week to do.  He did state in the thread that it would be quicker next time.

Yeah it definatly comes down to money. I think it took so long for those completley aluminium HT3's because they needed to be grinded perfectly so the edges blended nicely, but im not sure.

I just think it would be cool to have the aluminium inset into the wood on the front (just like the very first picture i posted of the emotiva speaker).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:27 pm »
A flat piece of that aluminum would be very easy to do on the front surface.  But keep in mind Jim has a limited stock, if any, of that left over to use.  It is a bear to do on the HT3 because you have to pre-bend it to fit the angle before gluing.  Setting it into the front inside the roundover on the outside is straightforward, but the drivers will end up being flush with the aluminum on the front as tight as they can make it and still allow driver placement and removal.

You might also consider a painted cabinet.  There is also a stainless steel look Formica at about $60 per sheet.  Can't bend that but it would work on the front panel recessed in the roundover.

I don't recommend any internal upgrades.  Spend your money getting them to match your room or tastes.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:11 pm »
I vote for Bombay Mahogany.  Essentially an anoline dyed mahogany veneer.  I think it is a timeless classic and very elegant. 

I am with you on the not being a fan of light wood.  But I also am not a fan of rosewood, although beautiful, it is a bit to wild for my tastes.

bigred7078

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:29 pm »
A flat piece of that aluminum would be very easy to do on the front surface.  But keep in mind Jim has a limited stock, if any, of that left over to use.  It is a bear to do on the HT3 because you have to pre-bend it to fit the angle before gluing.  Setting it into the front inside the roundover on the outside is straightforward, but the drivers will end up being flush with the aluminum on the front as tight as they can make it and still allow driver placement and removal.

You might also consider a painted cabinet.  There is also a stainless steel look Formica at about $60 per sheet.  Can't bend that but it would work on the front panel recessed in the roundover.

I don't recommend any internal upgrades.  Spend your money getting them to match your room or tastes.

yeah for what i like it did not seem to hard to do. The HT3's on the other hand seemed like a bear to complete!

If i went with a aluminium front finish i dont think i would want a faux finish though. Thanks for the idea!!!

bigred7078

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:31 pm »
I vote for Bombay Mahogany.  Essentially an anoline dyed mahogany veneer.  I think it is a timeless classic and very elegant. 

I am with you on the not being a fan of light wood.  But I also am not a fan of rosewood, although beautiful, it is a bit to wild for my tastes.
wow from what i googled on Bombay Mahogany it looks beautiful!!! Great idea and most likely much cheaper than rosewood. Thanks!

Is there any pics of the bombay mahogany on some Salk speakers?

stc4life

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:14 pm »
BigRed - What would everyone in the AVS VA thread say if they knew about this?  :lol:

bigred7078

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:46 pm »
BigRed - What would everyone in the AVS VA thread say if they knew about this?  :lol:

haha who knows! I love my viennas, but im honestly addicted to going bigger and better 8)

In the end who knows what will happen, im just looking at possibilities. This is something i've had in my head for awhile so we'll see how it develops  :dunno: