7.1 system plan

Qwertyzor

7.1 system plan
« on: 12 Sep 2008, 04:53 am »
I've been looking into speakers and components for my new home theater for a while, and I think I have figured out which ones I want. I'd like to know if anyone has any advice or comments on this:

Fronts: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk SongCenter
Surrounds (mid): Axiom QS8s
Surrounds (rear): Axiom QS8s
Subwoofer: Epik Conquest

Processor/Preamp: Emotive UMC-1
Amplifier: Emotiva UPA-7

I am looking at the Axiom surrounds because the SongSurrounds are expensive for not being the main speakers and are not bi/quad-pole speakers, and also look more difficult to wall mount (mids, maybe rears) or ceiling mount (maybe rears). Is this a bad idea, or is it okay but there are better options than the Axioms? Should the rears be directional? I have about 7' from the back of the front row, and I am more concerned about quality there than the second row.

I won't be setting these up for at least two months. I guess that fits in with the wait period on the Salks and the time until the UMC-1 is released.

ThorsHammer

Re: 7.1 system plan
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:07 am »
There has been some discussion about using non-matched surrounds and it seems the concensus is that while it would be ideal to have matched there should be minimum downside to the configuration you are using. Jim does make wall mounted surrounds....look in the "galleries" and there are some there, so it can be done. The Axiom QS8s are nice speakers, I'll bet that system would sound great.

I'm running a LPA-7 thru a HK 7200 and also waiting on the UMC-1. I'm planning on using my Athena F-2 floorstanders as surrounds in a 5.1 when my SongTower RTs and SongCenter arrive so I'm counting on the mis-matched theory holding up.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2008, 01:40 pm »
I agree with the Hammer's opinion.  There seems to be little problem with rear channel speakers that aren't a match for the front L/C/R speakers.  I listen to music in stereo with my SongTowers, and use my 5.1 system only for movies.  I don't have the set up, or the desire, for SACD or DVD-A music.

I presently use my SongTowers with an NHT SuperCenter speaker and two wall mounted NHT SuperZeros for the rear channels.  The NHTs are in sealed cabinets with 4" midwoofers and a 1" dome tweeter.  They naturally roll-off below 80-85 Hz and are set as small in my HT receiver.  Although the SongTowers clearly outclass my center speaker (I am beginning to think about getting a SongCenter), I can recommend the SuperZeros as rear channel speakers.  Their small size makes them easily wall mounted.  They are monopole speakers, unlike the Axioms you mentioned.  I can't comment on whether dipoles are worth having for surround/rear speakers.

FWIW, someone is selling NHT SuperZeros (and their slightly larger cousins, the SuperOne) on audiogon for very low prices.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt.pl?spkrmoni&1206393485&clout&3&4&

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt.pl?spkrmoni&1209421665&clout&3&4&
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2008, 06:11 pm by R Swerdlow »

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2008, 01:43 pm »
Agreed.  If I had to chose which speakers to not be timbre matched it would be the rears.  However, if you plan to listen to multi-channel music you might want to think about upgrading later.  

After you receive your Salk's for the front, give the system a thorough listen.  If you like it then don't worry about matching the surrounds.  Only your opinion matters.  

Enjoy!

ThorsHammer

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:22 pm »
Brings up an interesting point about sound reproduction.

My speakers can't accurately reproduce the full range of music to my satisfaction...while they do vocals and string instruments exceptionally well they suffer with piano and bass instruments and with the nuances in the separation of sound. They are just good enough as mains to let me know what I am missing. But when I moved the floorstanders to the rear their shortcomings aren't very noticeable. And, the ability to deliver for home theater sound effects are very high. I wonder if it is easier for a speaker to reproduce bullets flying, explosions, natural sounds, etc. than it is to accurately portray music?

Qwertyzor

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2008, 08:27 pm »
If I do use the SongSurrounds, can they be wall mounted? Can they be ceiling mounted? I would need to be able to wall mount the side surrounds, and do one of the two with the rears.

TomW16

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:05 pm »
I am also in the camp that an ideal surround sound room would have timber matched rear speakers, however, if budget or space is a concern, the rear speakers could be substituted with little sacrifice to the enjoyment of movie sound tracks.  My impression is that you would be hard pressed to differentiate discrete sounds as being different from the front and the rear.  What might be more noticeable are panning sounds from the front to the rear.  The visual stimulation of movies makes the sound less critical in my opinion.

I am putting together 3 high quality timber matches speakers across the front and will use in-wall speakers for the side and rear speakers in my home theater.  I mostly listen to 2-channel music so it is a good trade off for me.  If I listened to multi-channel music, I might reconsider my choice of rear speakers.

Speakers produce sound regardless of the source (music or movies) and, therefore, the better the speakers, the better the sound noting that some speakers are not necessarily suited to movie sound tracks due to excursion limits, etc.

Cheers,
Tom