Wardsweb

Re: Audio Karma's AK Fest
« Reply #40 on: 8 May 2008, 12:49 pm »
Here are a couple I took:

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #41 on: 8 May 2008, 08:40 pm »

Wow....   :drool: Exceptional looking speakers.

Mr. Salk, can you enlighten us regarding the veneers of both pairs?

jsalk

« Reply #42 on: 9 May 2008, 04:20 am »
Miney -

The SongTowers were done in Santos rosewood.  They are my personal pair and I did a complete HT system with a SongCenter and SongSurround II's in the same veneer. 

I won't have pictures for a while, but a furniture designer friend has designed a modular A/V furniture system to go with our speakers.  The first A/V system he is building will also feature this veneer.  So it will be a matched set - A/V furniture and speakers, all done in the same finish.

We have often been asked to match existing furniture or furniture purchased elsewhere.  So I know that many people like having matching furniture and speakers.  In talking with my friend, he expressed interest in designing a modular system that could house A/V gear, serve as a stand for a plasma TV, hold the center channel, etc.  The system is made up of modules that can be stacked and configured in many different ways - very versatile.  And the thought that we could do speakers and a complete A/V furniture system in the same veneer and finish got me interested.  So we decided to go ahead and build such a system to see what kind of interest there might be for it.  More on that in the coming weeks...

The HT3's were done in ambrosia maple.  This is a very interesting wood.  Insects burrow into the wood creating "bug holes."  Over time, water seeps into the bug holes and begins to turn it gray in streaks.  In this case, we book-matched the sheets to create some interesting patterns.

I didn't think anyone would ever ask us to build a pair of ambrosia maple HT3's.  So I built this pair for myself.  It may not be for everyone.  But for those whose decor it fits, they would be sensational.  I'm just hoping I can hang onto them for a while before someone buys them (I haven't had much luck in the last year or so).

The new (as of yet unnamed) open baffle speakers were done in sapele pomelle.  The edges were dyed with a traditional mahogany dye that was faded, guitar-style, into the sapele.  I think it gave the sapele a very rich look (and it is a very rich looking wood to begin with).  As a side note, Cadillac is currently running an ad for their CTS that touts sapele trim. They obviously have good taste.

- Jim

MaxCast

« Reply #43 on: 9 May 2008, 12:28 pm »
Hey Jim I have natural cedar in my living room those HT3's would look great in there!  I think they are rather attractive.  As always, it was a pleasure seeing you and Mary again.  You and Frank easily had two of the best sounding rooms.  The sound was effortlessly quiet.  I would love to hear the no names in a proper room.  I'm sure you have a hit on your hands.  Hearing your HT3's make 20K in electronics sound great was most enjoyable  :thumb:

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #44 on: 9 May 2008, 04:20 pm »
Thanks Jim for the details.  That ambrosia maple is stellar, even more so with the book-matching.  Me thinks they won't be in your home for long aa!

As for the A/V furniture system to go with your speakers,  that's a great idea.  When I bought my current speakers it was a hassle to find furniture to match the speakers' finish.  Looking forward to seeing the whole collection.