Meanwhile in Vapor Land ...

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Meanwhile in Vapor Land ...
« on: 7 Mar 2015, 03:22 am »
The Stiff Breeze train is rolling again!  Pete has become quite adept and programming and operating the CNC machine.  One of our more complex jobs was to cut a stack of baffles from a full sheet of 1" HDF, with 1/2" Birch Ply backers for a full 1.5" thick baffle, pictured is the result.  Previous we were cutting Stiff Breeze and Breeze baffles one at a time, not very efficient.  Obviously now we're rolling again, and can easily ship SB orders in 3-4 weeks. 

bajaed

Re: Meanwhile in Vapor Land ...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2015, 05:38 am »
Nice Ryan! You told me about this a couple of weeks ago,  great to see all those baffles cut and ready to go.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2015, 05:35 pm »
These baffles are all for the new larger, Transmission Line Stiff Breeze btw.  Nice improvement on an already fantastic speaker!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:03 pm »
Sire,
What is this  'larger transmission line' Stiff Breeze of which you speak? Did I miss photos? (Ain't none on the website, unless I missed it.) I may have to trade-up from my standard Stiff Breezes.

Best,
KP

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:17 pm »
Sire,
What is this  'larger transmission line' Stiff Breeze of which you speak? Did I miss photos? (Ain't none on the website, unless I missed it.) I may have to trade-up from my standard Stiff Breezes.

Best,
KP

Good to hear from you!  The new cabinet is 1 cu/ft instead of the original .75 cu/ft.  With that extra volume we're able to further modify the internals into a tapering transmission line.  The extra volume extends bass slightly, but the primary benefit is lower midrange coloration because of the TL's ability to 'filter' midrange resonances.  People assume TL means better bass, our experience is that TL primarily means less coloration which allows for cleaner reproduction.  I thought the difference between the prior SB and new TL version is significant, and you mainly notice cleaner/more transparent midrange.

I know we've mentioned it here before, but probably should make the information more obvious.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:22 pm »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:45 pm »
Well, that should prove to be a very impressive speaker indeed. If I was asked to nitpick the Stiff Breeze , it would be that the midrange could be improved slightly and that seems to be exactly what you're doing now. And I don't mean for that to be a knock against the standard SBs, as is, an excellent speaker, a solid build (you'll need a couple of knuckles to rap the SBs) providing great detail, not too bright with solid bass performance. Buyers won't be disappointed with the standard SBs but improving the lower midrange coloration is just the ticket and will make an already impressive speaker more so.

And more people should comment on how wonderfully crafted your custom stands are.

Cheers and take care,
KP