Another scam? Allegedly from paypal

Randy

Another scam? Allegedly from paypal
« on: 22 Mar 2020, 01:02 am »
It came with an attachment I didn't open.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Another scam? Allegedly from paypal
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2020, 01:14 am »
I get at least 2 a day from Amazon and I have never had  a account or ordered from them.  A easy way to know is look at who sent its email addres.

Alan

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2020, 01:58 am »
I've received about a dozen, allegedly from Amazon this past week. My immediate reaction is to think of a way to turn the tables on them - just for fun - scam the scammers. But then I come to my senses and just delete their emails. Sadly we have to accept that we live in an age where nothing is sacred.

oem-wheels

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:55 am »
best thing to do is if you're in doubt, go to the official website (in your case, PayPal) and log in and see if the same message is there also.. For me, I never start or answer anything from an email.. If I want to continue I do what I mentioned above..

oskar

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:11 pm »
"please do not reply, reply are not monitored."

It doesn't require a careful reading to know that this is BS.

wdlvwdlv

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2020, 05:58 pm »
This seems to have resurfaced. I too saw this email about a week and a half ago, make sure check the sending email address, the one in question from me had an email address from paypal@customerservice.xx.club as well as another one I don't recall. Note the xxx refers to numbers and the .club is strange.

In any case, they seem legit but never respond to the email, file or report it as spam. You can always followup by NOT clicking in the email but manually go to PayPal and see if there truly is strange activity to report. In my case, the message was clearly some sort of phishing attempt, received twice and with different sender email addresses.

Thought, I'd share that update with the community.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2020, 07:00 pm by wdlvwdlv »

mhconley

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2020, 06:17 pm »
I get half a dozen phishing emails a day from, supposedly, Amazon, PayPal, Apple, Google and banks. Just looking at the from or to addresses or hovering over embedded links to see the URL and you know they're fake. I just delete them and move on. NEVER open an attachemnt from anyone you were not expecting.

Martin

Craig B

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2020, 06:38 pm »
Look for poor grammar and spelling ("reply are not monitored"). If you hover on the return address, you may see a popup with the actual address, which will likely not be the one it says it's from. If that doesn't work, you can hit the reply button and do the same with the address your reply is going to go to (don't actually send the reply). Or hover over any links in the email, and you should see a popup with the URL where the link will take you, and that will probably also not be to the actual organization.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2020, 06:48 pm »
Somewhere I clicked on a wrong item and now get spam in my email from herbal cures, etc.  I click on the unsubscribe, but now I am thinking that would be another way they can get to us.  Probably best just to delete and ignore.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2020, 07:08 pm »
  my notice stated "account suspended" "verify password" .

charles

wdlvwdlv

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2020, 07:09 pm »
  my notice stated "account suspended" "verify password" .

charles

Yes, this exactly. I remember the wording was different couldn't pull it up since I already deleted the email. Thanks for clarifying for the community.

jcsperson

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2020, 07:50 pm »
Most financial companies have a place where you can forward phishing emails:

stop-spoofing@amazon.com

spoof@paypal.com

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2020, 08:10 pm »
First clue from the PayPal scammers is that it says "Dear customer," not your name.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2020, 10:31 pm by charmerci »

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2020, 08:27 pm »
I've used two email addresses for many years.  One is for personal emails and financial transaction type stuff.  The other is for forums or sites that I may buy from on rare occasion (e.g. HDTracks).  In most cases the phishing emails go to the latter so I immediately know.  I actually have a third email address that came with my ISP.  I only check that address a few times/year and that is always virtually all spam (e.g. Amazon, Walmart or CVS gift cards).  I just add additional filters and don't see stuff like that for a while.

FreddyJ

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm »
I always get these from PayPal too and I haven't used them in years, even with Ebay purchases I use my credit card each time. They are a nuisance

toocool4

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm »
I get a lot of these e-mails, it’s so easy to spot them a mile off. They will have to do much better than that before they catch me out.