DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects

-Rooster-

DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:01 pm »
Greetings, fellow cheepskates. Just posting three quick photos of my recently completed DIY cables. The designs were the result of knowledge gained in basic undergraduate physics classes combined what I learned from some in-depth reading on various websites. I then sprinkled in a little common sense in the form of the thought that the best cable is the one with electrical characteristics that allow the entirety of a signal to pass without loss or addition. My skepticism of gimmicky cables that equal my speakers in cost kept the project in check (and subsequently in this circle).

The speaker cables are first up. They are constructed of ApexJr's 20AWG solid core PTFE insulated copper wire - two twisted pairs were twisted together to comprise each conductor, resulting in a 14AWG finished product, plenty large for any signal I may send the 12 feet to each of my Salk SongTowers. The cables are finished in some TechFlex. I chose to terminate via bare wire; Any connector is simply another potential source of signal degradation. These cables have the desirable electrical characteristics of solid core wire without any worry of potential skin effect secondary to the 20AWG wire size.

The sole pair of interconnects in my system is up next. These deliver CD audio from a PS1 to an Onkyo 818 AVR. Home Grown Audio's solid core OHFC with an unbleached cotton dielectric comprise these interconnects that are constructed as simple twisted pairs with VALAB rhodium plated tellurium copper solderless RCA plugs. They are simple, though quite effective. As shown in my photo below, I only require a very short interconnect for this use, so this construction should be more than sufficient. The cotton dielectric is unique, and it is more effective than the more frequently used options.

Costs: The single pair of 24" RCAs ran $50. The 12' speaker cables came to $65. My shipping costs were included in this pricing.

In the end, I am very happy with how they've turned out. I can't tell you with any certainty that my sound has improved, though I get the impression that at least clarity and imaging are improved somewhat. The system sounds less...restricted. This could very well be placebo, though I don't really care. Real or imagined, any perceived improvement in sound, which would directly correlate with increased enjoyment of our hobby, is a good thing. Admittedly, these are not the cheapest cables. However, I presume that they may be near the sweet spot of the all important price/performance curve, and I think that is what this circle is all about.

Thanks for reading!

walkern

Re: DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2013, 05:01 pm »
Did you choose the 22 ga or 26 ga Home Grown Audio wire for your interconnects (or mix and match?)?  Just curious.

And thanks for the info.  I love trying out cheap interconnect and speaker wire DIY stuff.

Neil

DS-21

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2013, 05:38 pm »
What's the y-boot on the speaker cables?

-Rooster-

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2013, 06:40 pm »
The interconnects are 26 AWG. The cable pants are from KnuKoncepts.

DS-21

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2013, 12:00 am »
Oh, plastic pants just happened to fit that well? Nice!

I've been looking for Y-shaped heat shrink at sane prices, and was hoping you found some. Guess not.

-Rooster-

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2013, 12:09 am »
I only just barely got them on.   :lol:   They were much longer originally, and they would not have pulled on had I not trimmed the legs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2013, 01:39 am »
Are the cables hand braided or did you use a drill?  BTW I think you made excellent choices on the wires and the cable construction, but if we don't critique, how will you improve in your next design (LOL).  The main reason for connectors is to make a gas tight seal preventing oxidation, how do you plan on accomplishing this with bare wire ends?  Or did you tin them?  The weave on the speaker cables is very tight, you might open up the sound a bit with a much looser weave.  The twist on the interconnects is a bit uneven, this shouldn't affect sq to any appreciable degree unless you have RFI/EMI fields nearby.  Another great source for C&C connectors is SwitchCraft, lots of copper in those little guys and very well made for inexpensive RCA plugs.  All in all a very good job for your first effort.     

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:51 am »
They look pretty sexy to me, but I say that as a cable making noob.  :thumb:

Bob