ASL Orchid - A fair price for a CNC system?

AdvoCat

ASL Orchid - A fair price for a CNC system?
« on: 7 Dec 2012, 04:52 pm »
Not sure whether this belongs on this board (perhaps the Tube or Amp boards would be better) , but I'm trying to Quad 11Ls (free!) with an amp.   An Antique Sound Labs Orchid Integrated Amp (12AX7 / 2A3) is up for sale for $475.  I suspect it comes with "stock" tubes.  If so, is that a fair price?  My source will be computer audio files and I'll need a modest, but good-quality DAC as well.  Looking to get the DAC and amp for around $700.  This will be my first foray into the world of tube amps.

All input is appreciated!

AC

AdvoCat

Re: ASL Orchid - A fair price for a CNC system?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2012, 05:34 pm »
It looks like the Orchid will not have enough power for the Quads, or am I wrong? :scratch:

srb

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2012, 05:58 pm »
It looks like the Orchid will not have enough power for the Quads, or am I wrong? :scratch:

With a low-power amp like the ASL Orchid, which I believe is 3.5W/ch, most people would choose a higher sensitivity speaker with at least a 92dB sensitivity and preferably higher.

There are a lot of variables such as the type of material you listen to, the volume you listen at, the room size, distance from the speakers and whether there is any gain from proximity to walls.  I have the original 86dB Quad 11L (the Quad 11L Classic is only marginally more sensitive at 87dB) and use a 100W/ch solid state amplifier.  I have also tried them with a 10W/ch Yamaha chip amplifier and they sounded congested, strained and the amplifier was probably clipping peaks at elevated volumes.

Again depending on your listening criteria and room, I would be inclined to get a tube amp of at least 25W/ch or get a pair of higher sensitivity speakers for use with a low-power tube amp.

Steve

AdvoCat

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2012, 06:58 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Your advice makes sense.  I also have a mothballed pair of Klipsch Heresys (ca. 1978) that would probably work with the ASL, but I may have to invest in upgrading the drivers and crossovers, I would guess, in order to do justice to the Orchid.  This will be a third system, and the Orchid would provide an opportunity for me to learn a little about SET amps, etc.

acresm22

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:30 pm »
The Orchid is a sweet little amp, and that's a good price. You don't see them come up for sale very often. I've heard it and the ASL Tulip, another 2A3 set...both great amps.
If you decide to pass on the Orchid, let me know ; )

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:32 pm »
I had the Tulip for a couple of years and thought highly of it.  The Heresy should work well with it.  MIght need to put in new caps - see if Bob Crites has a kit for it.

AdvoCat

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm »
The Heresys definitely need work.  The cost of the upgrades will push me toward that $100 CnC threshold, leaving me little room for a DAC, $200-$300 maybe.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:43 pm »
What do you need to revamp the Heresys?  Sounds like more than caps, surrounds?  A shame if it's not cost effective, they would be a great match for your project.

These Tekton 65ts might stretch you budget just a tad at $600, but one of the only high efficiency bookshelf speakers (i.e. similar looking to the Quads) with reasonable extension:

http://www.tektondesign.com/model65t.html

Also you might think about the SHO 10 monitor at a very reasonable $395, but not as extended in the bass and is recommended to be used with a subwoofer:

https://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142&vmcchk=1&Itemid=142&redirected=1&Itemid=142

AdvoCat

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm »
Upon further review...

I will try the DIY angle and replace the caps in the Heresys in the near future.  In the meantime, I pulled the trigger on the Orchid and have hooked it up to a pair of Omega 8xrs alnicos.  The results are stunning! The Hereseys may never see this amp! 

I will try to run the Quads with my RWA 30.2 LPF-V and see how those work together.  It's nice to have options.  Still waiting to see about that DAC, however, as the more I read, I'm convinced that there isn't  a single modestly-priced one that will play the dozen or so hi-res formats that are floating around out there.  I feel like we're back to the days of betamax vs. vhs when it comes to digital music....