Scan Speak vs. SEAS

Midnite Mick

Scan Speak vs. SEAS
« on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:31 am »
I apologize if this question doesn't really belong here but I ask because Rick as well as those that follow this circle would have plenty of experience with these drivers.  I have heard the Scan Speak slit paper drivers but can't recall if I have ever heard any SEAS drivers.  I am wonder how these two types of drivers compare.  I don't mean the specs as they are both elite drivers but sonically.

Thanks,
Mike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Scan Speak vs. SEAS
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:06 am »
I apologize if this question doesn't really belong here but I ask because Rick as well as those that follow this circle would have plenty of experience with these drivers.  I have heard the Scan Speak slit paper drivers but can't recall if I have ever heard any SEAS drivers.  I am wonder how these two types of drivers compare.  I don't mean the specs as they are both elite drivers but sonically.

Thanks,
Mike

Both lines have a variety of drivers so unless you specify a particular pair to compare it's difficult to give an opinion. Given the same size driver traditionally Scan-Speak has had better bass extension and low end dynamics. Seas has not manufactured many woofers that could be considered "subwoofer" type drivers and Scan-Speak ventured into that area just a few years ago.

Their tweeters have some units of similar design and sound but a few of the models are quite different. Until recently Scan-Speak didn't use any metal cones while Seas has had them now for several years. If you can give an example for comparison maybe I can be more specific.

Midnite Mick

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:45 am »
I should have been more specific.  I was thinking of the midwoofers in particular.  For example some of the SEAS excel midwoofer metal drivers to the Scan Speak slit paper midwoofers. 

Thanks,
Mike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:04 pm »
I should have been more specific.  I was thinking of the midwoofers in particular.  For example some of the SEAS excel midwoofer metal drivers to the Scan Speak slit paper midwoofers. 

Thanks,
Mike

Ok - what type of application? 2-way? Dome or ribbon tweeter?

Midnite Mick

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2006, 11:19 pm »
The reason I originally asked which I guess I should have just gotten down to it, was I have been looking at some kits.  The 2 kits that I was comparing somewhat were the SEAS Thor (which I am sure everybody knows about) and a ScanSpeak Expression kit

http://www.solen.ca/  (don't know if the link will take you to the kit because when I navigate the site the address does not change)

I know the ScanSpeaks will go lower which is a very good thing. 

I heard the ScanSpeaks for the first time in a pair of GamuT L7 ($18,000 Cdn) (3 way but used the same drivers in a WWTW configurstion, tweeter was a ring radiator) and really liked them.  I know crossovers and builds are going to come into play it was just that it was my first time hearing those drivers in any speaker and am wondering how the SEAS sound in comparison as I would imagine different materials are going to sound different.

Now I have not narrowed it down to these 2 kits in any way as there are numerous ones that I am interested in, including the Peridot.  I am just trying to learn more so I can hopefully make the best decision for me when the time comes.  It won't come for awhile but I know that it will.

Thanks,
Mike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2006, 05:14 am »
Both drivers can sound very good in the right application. With a 7" 2-way I tend to prefer the Scan-Speak 7" Revelator because the upper end response is smoother and it has a little better bass extension and impact. With a 3-way I actually prefer the 5" Excel (magnesium or nextel cone) but have only used the 15W8530 Scan-Speak. They have a 12W which is more of a dedicated mid which I may like just as well but haven't tried it.