When will the BP6 & 26 get the Cubed treatment

techguy0192

When will the BP6 & 26 get the Cubed treatment
« on: 9 Jan 2019, 07:46 pm »
Curious to learn when we might see the Cubed circuits used in a revised version of the BP6 and BP26.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: When will the BP6 & 26 get the Cubed treatment
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2019, 08:04 pm »
Hi

It would be a new preamp rather than a change to the current preamps

James

techguy0192

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2019, 08:25 pm »
Hi

James

Any chance we might see something in 2019?  The next question everyone is likely to ask - will factory upgrades of current units be a possibility?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2019, 08:39 pm »
Any chance we might see something in 2019?  The next question everyone is likely to ask - will factory upgrades of current units be a possibility?

Thanks!

Hi

I would say we should have a new preamp in 2019.  I do not think an upgrade option will be available though as there are too many changes over the years to make it cost effective for the customer.  Features, circuits and digital sources are totally different than what they were back when the BP26 and the BP6 were designed as pure analog preamplifiers.

james

techguy0192

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
Hi

I would say we should have a new preamp in 2019. 

:hyper: :drool:

Thanks James! 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:34 am »

...maybe this new preamp will have a usb dac for dsd???

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2019, 11:39 am »
...maybe this new preamp will have a usb dac for dsd???

al.

Yes it will be the same as the BDA-3 from a digital perspective.

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:05 pm »
Reading into the comments from James seems it is going to be a digital device with preamp controls? Rather than 'just' a preamp?

techguy0192

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:32 pm »
Reading into the comments from James seems it is going to be a digital device with preamp controls? Rather than 'just' a preamp?

Yes, I believe you are correct.  I asked a similar question a couple of moths ago - would we see a digital preamp.

Two SPDIF inputs (RCA & BNC), toslink, and USB would cover most users.  Adding in two analog inputs (RCA & XLR) would make it very well rounded and capable.  Because DAC technology is evolving, it would be great to see that section in the form of an upgradable module that could be end user replaced as upgrades are release.  Just slide it out like you would a channel on a 2B-LP.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2019, 04:53 pm »
Yes, I believe you are correct.  I asked a similar question a couple of moths ago - would we see a digital preamp.

Two SPDIF inputs (RCA & BNC), toslink, and USB would cover most users.  Adding in two analog inputs (RCA & XLR) would make it very well rounded and capable.  Because DAC technology is evolving, it would be great to see that section in the form of an upgradable module that could be end user replaced as upgrades are release.  Just slide it out like you would a channel on a 2B-LP.

Sounds a lot like what we are working on !

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2019, 08:15 pm »

Two SPDIF inputs (RCA & BNC), toslink, and USB would cover most users. Because DAC technology is evolving, it would be great to see that section in the form of an upgradable module that could be end user replaced as upgrades are release.  Just slide it out like you would a channel on a 2B-LP.

...if this is doable with this new preamp why shouldn't it be possible to have an upgradable dac module for the BP17³ and the 135? that way the customer can choose what kind of digital input he prefers for his setup. i might be wrong but i think that a more compact solution is a nice option for those who doesn't want another box for another box, etc. the BDA-3 surely is a cool performer but maybe some people don't need 10 digital inputs. what i'm trying to say is that if Bryston would offer digital cards with different inputs for the 17³ and 135³ it would make them more versatile for different needs.

al.

techguy0192

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2019, 08:34 pm »

Two SPDIF inputs (RCA & BNC), toslink, and USB would cover most users. Because DAC technology is evolving, it would be great to see that section in the form of an upgradable module that could be end user replaced as upgrades are release.  Just slide it out like you would a channel on a 2B-LP.

...if this is doable with this new preamp why shouldn't it be possible to have an upgradable dac module for the BP17³ and the 135? that way the customer can choose what kind of digital input he prefers for his setup. i might be wrong but i think that a more compact solution is a nice option for those who doesn't want another box for another box, etc. the BDA-3 surely is a cool performer but maybe some people don't need 10 digital inputs. what i'm trying to say is that if Bryston would offer digital cards with different inputs for the 17³ and 135³ it would make them more versatile for different needs.

al.

I had the exact same thoughts.  User configurable digital input options.  Then I considered economies of scale and how many options are feasible; there will always be a person that feels none of them are an exact fit.

R. Daneel

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2019, 09:39 pm »
I wonder whether this will affect the production of B60 integrated since it's preamp stage is basically the same as that of BP6 preamp.

I think this means the days of "through-hole" components are numbered and the new designs will be purely SMT. I don't know how to feel about that.

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:12 pm »
Hi!

Will there be a new version of the BHA-1 headphone amplifier as well?

I don't think much can be done in terms of improvements in audio quality but there are a few things that could be improved upon:
1. input selection could be done via relays to eliminate bleed between different inputs. Even better, it could be done via high-quality rotary selector like on the B60 integrated and BP26/6 preamps.
2. more positions for gain switching, the lowest one having zero dB of gain
3. improved passive cooling with aluminium chassis rather than a steel one
4. headphone only / preamp out only selector switch

That would make the BHA-1 even more desirable as both a headphone amplifier and a line-level preamp.

Cheers!
Antun

Pundamilia

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2019, 11:26 pm »
Another suggestion would be to use a volume control that could be operated via a remote (universal).

R. Daneel

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:27 pm »
Another suggestion would be to use a volume control that could be operated via a remote (universal).

Yes, that too!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:48 pm »

I control my volume with a Harmony universal. It didn’t have the code (or whatever it’s called) in the software. I had to do something and point my B60’s remote at it; the Harmony remote learned the commands. Took all of a few minutes. Worked flawlessly ever since.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2019, 06:11 pm »
Sounds a lot like what we are working on !

james
Sounds fantastic. I’d only be interested in having a DAC built into the preamp (or integrated) if it was replaceable/upgradable. DAC technology moves quite quickly. A great preamp lasts decades.

Maybe seeing my parents’ all-in-one receivers of yesteryear has me jaded. The built-in 8-track and awful turntable have zero usability, whereas the amplification still works. I was looking into the original Naim Uniti when I bought my B60. Aside from sound quality (both are fantastic IMO), the only I could think of was my father’s Fisher receiver that made its way to my bedroom.

Sources, especially digital formats, come and go. Amplification stays consistent. If I can easily replace the digital section of a preamp, I’ll consider buying it. If not, I don’t want it in there. I don’t want obsolete inputs on a piece that I’m planning on keeping for quite some time.

I’ve always looked at amplification as the anchor of the system. Speakers change depending on the room, sources become obsolete. Good, clean amplification stays. The one piece that’s always been a constant in my system since I bought is my B60. Zero desire and need to change it. Maybe one day when I’ve got a ton of disposable income and I’ve run out of stuff to buy, I’ll get something else. But I’ll cross that imaginary bridge when I get to it.

Just out of curiosity...
The B60/2BLP seems like it’s the longest-running thing in your lineup without an upgrade/update. The B60 was last updated with SST. Any plans on updating it? I’m not in the market for an update; more of a curiosity question than anything else. Even if I did decide to buy an upgraded one, my B60 SST would certainly find a place in my home or passed down to my daughters anyway; it’s way too good to let go of.

john1970

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2019, 06:25 pm »
Sounds fantastic. I’d only be interested in having a DAC built into the preamp (or integrated) if it was replaceable/upgradable. DAC technology moves quite quickly. A great preamp lasts decades.

Maybe seeing my parents’ all-in-one receivers of yesteryear has me jaded. The built-in 8-track and awful turntable have zero usability, whereas the amplification still works. I was looking into the original Naim Uniti when I bought my B60. Aside from sound quality (both are fantastic IMO), the only I could think of was my father’s Fisher receiver that made its way to my bedroom.

Sources, especially digital formats, come and go. Amplification stays consistent. If I can easily replace the digital section of a preamp, I’ll consider buying it. If not, I don’t want it in there. I don’t want obsolete inputs on a piece that I’m planning on keeping for quite some time.

I’ve always looked at amplification as the anchor of the system. Speakers change depending on the room, sources become obsolete. Good, clean amplification stays. The one piece that’s always been a constant in my system since I bought is my B60. Zero desire and need to change it. Maybe one day when I’ve got a ton of disposable income and I’ve run out of stuff to buy, I’ll get something else. But I’ll cross that imaginary bridge when I get to it.

Just out of curiosity...
The B60/2BLP seems like it’s the longest-running thing in your lineup without an upgrade/update. The B60 was last updated with SST. Any plans on updating it? I’m not in the market for an update; more of a curiosity question than anything else. Even if I did decide to buy an upgraded one, my B60 SST would certainly find a place in my home or passed down to my daughters anyway; it’s way too good to let go of.

These are very good points.  Frankly, I will stay away from any high-end preamp with a built-in digital section.  An analogue preamp can easily provide excellent fidelity for 10-20 years.  In contrast digital, especially HDMI, changes every 3-4 years.  I much prefer to buy a new DAC every 5-6 years if I can hear a difference.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2019, 09:58 pm »
Hi

James

Hi James

any thoughts about adding tubes for the input stage...  :scratch:

Sully