Unifield 3's RP Debut

JackD201

Unifield 3's RP Debut
« on: 10 Nov 2008, 09:58 am »
We just concluded the Philippine HiFi Show yesterday and the tiniest floorstander stole the show. Our theme was "Past Forward" where we married vinyl and valve technology with some of the latest advancements in digital and materials science technology. The goal was to present a no holds barred effort for full range sound in a size limited environment. We also wanted to show a system that would be scaleable should the owner move to a larger home. In this instance one could easily move and change just the speakers from a Unifield 3 to a VR-5 Anniversary or even a VR-9 SE in the future. It was a rousing success and while there are no awards given, feedback has us ranked up top and head to head in the Hi-End category with a system whose back end cost almost twice as much.

We'll post snippets of posted adulations after we're done compiling them as well as more pictures.

Here's the Equipment List

Loudspeakers - Von Schweikert Audio Unifield 3

Amplifiers - Lamm ML1.1 Monos

Preamplification - Lamm LL2 Deluxe fitted with Mullard CV491s and ecc88s

Digital Sources - Accuphase DP-78 CD/SACD player also acting as DAC for Apple MacBook Pro streaming airtunes via Airport Express

Analog Source - TW Acustic Raven AC-3, Graham B-44 Phantom 2, Dynavector XV-1s, Lamm LP2 Deluxe

Vibration Filters - Critical Mass Systems PXK and QXK racks and platforms and Reference Amp Stands, Symposium Roller Block Jrs for Shunyata V-Ray

Acoustic Tools - ASC wall panels, Lyngdorf RoomPerfect

Interconnects - Verbatim Signature

Speaker Cables - Verbatim Signature (DAY 1) , Von Schweikert Audio Bi-Wire (Day 2)

Power Products - Shunyata V-Ray, Shunyata Hydra 2, All Power Cords Shunyata Python Alpha Helix

Here's a pic taken by the dealer next door in the meantime. Thanks for looking! :)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Unifield 3's RP Debut
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2008, 01:48 pm »
Amazing what you can do for $20K  :lol:  Just curious...when you switched the speaker cables after day one, could you please take us through the differences you heard, if any, between the Verbatims and the VSA bi-wires? (note to stewie: go have a beer...do not read this thread)  :nono:

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2008, 04:33 pm »
$20,000? You mean the racks?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mentioned in the other thread that I'll be looking at two factors when comparing the two brothers. First being gain and the second being harmonic content. I didn't have an RTA and a test mic but I perceived a slight drop in perceived loudness when going from the Verbatims to the standard VSA cables. Equivalent to half a step on the preamp knobs. Please don't stone me for being a nitpicker  :lol: :lol: :lol:  The VSA cables however let more complex harmonics through enhancing nuances in male voices and adding more emotion on instruments like Cellos and Saxophones. Yet I wouldn't call them warmer. I'd say they were more textured. Show goers that attended both days preferred the sound on the second day saying music was even more involving. Personally though I'd call it a toss up. My choice would depend on application. On a modern VR series loudspeaker using solid state or push pull amps I'd go with the VSA standard but on a DB-99 or DB-100 powered by a DHT amp I think I'd go for the Verbatim extra bite.

Sonically I'd put the VSA standard's sonic imprint as somewhere between a Nordost Valhalla and a Kubala-Sosna emotion. Now I need to evaluate the Signature version. Looks like the cables here aren't going back.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2008, 05:18 pm »
If you get stoned for anything it will be professing to here differences in cables :duh: Bottom line for me...you gave the correct answer since I am driving my VR4 SR MKIIs with the standard VSA bi-wire cables.  I am getting very comfortable with my choice of speaker cable and interconnects (MIT XLR CVT Term.1s...thanks to Scott!).  I'm getting dangerously close to focusing on the music rather than the equipment  aa

Rutgar

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2008, 07:43 pm »
I'm using MIT Shotgun MA interconnects and speaker cables on my Unifield 3's.  And anyone who says they can't hear a difference between MIT cables and standard cables from another manufacturer is deaf!  :o

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2008, 03:53 pm »
I'm using MIT Shotgun MA interconnects and speaker cables on my Unifield 3's.  And anyone who says they can't hear a difference between MIT cables and standard cables from another manufacturer is deaf!  :o

Well, I would not say that exactly, since I hear incredible differences between my original MIT T2s and my current Virtual Dynamic Davids  :)  But the point is well made -- once you get beyond the entry level cables from most manufacturers, where to my ears the playing field is pretty level, you can obtain  noticeable differences in sound from different cables if your system is revealing enough. For me, the VD line is becoming my preference, and while I hate the inconvenience of their size and weight, I've been impressed with the sound enough to live with them. They mate very well with VSA, and I have no doubt that the new VSA cables do too...but this is really for another thread.......