X Statik "L" shaped room questions

Vintage45

X Statik "L" shaped room questions
« on: 16 Nov 2019, 06:52 pm »
Hi all

I had been looking for my first DIY speaker build for several months. As a first build I didn't want to go crazy budget wise and ideally I didn't want a standard "box" type speaker. Then I stumbled across New Record Day on YouTube. I found GR Research and this forum. I really like the look of the X-Statik. I emailed the website for a shipping price to New Zealand just for drivers and crossover. I currently use some Mission 753 floor-standing speakers from the mid 90's.
My room is an L shape with limited placement options, due to WAF. My current speakers are 7 feet apart along the long part of L firing back down the other leg of the L. Behind the speakers is a glass wall with heavy drapes. Along the right side of the speakers is another glass wall with heavy drapes. To the left of the speakers is 8 feet of open space and then the wall part of the L starts. It dawned on me that one speaker, the right, will be 3 feet from a side wall and that the left speaker will have open space beside it. Would an open baffle design like the X-Statik be suitable in this situation? The 3 feet behind is no problem. Without the money to have a home with dedicated listening room I have made the best of what I have but worried open baffle may not be the best way to go.

Thanks for any advice

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: X Statik "L" shaped room questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2019, 01:22 am »
"Would an open baffle design like the X-Statik be suitable in this situation? "  This is almost exactly describes the room in which I have a pair of X-Statics installed.  The answer is yes, they work quite well in the right configuration.  I had originally placed them at the end of the long side of the L, but discovered that putting them in the corner of the L worked much better.  My room has a door at the corner of the L, so I can remove a bit of corner loading, but even when closed, the imaging and spaciousness is better than the previous arrangement.  It should work well for you. 

Vintage45

Re: X Statik "L" shaped room questions
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2019, 01:53 am »
Thanks S Clark! Sounds like this will be a good holiday project, providing shipping costs aren't out of this world