Greetings from Melbourne Australia - speaker & amp search

MarcoN

Hi AC members,

Greetings from Melbourne Australia. After a full renovation I am now in a position to sort out my main music system for the lounge room. System has to be family friendly, play vinyl and have music streaming capabilities. Thus far have the following components specified.

1. Dual 601 Turntable
2. Nad C658 Preamp (streaming plus DIRAC room correction)

From there on I am stuck and with COVID19 am researching online thus have joined Audio Circle. I could go active speakers such as Elac Navis B51 (am yet to hear them but to my eyes they are quite ugly looking. Alternatively I have heard some Klipsch heretage speakers and my room could fit a pair of Klipsch Heresy IV but then would need an amp. I do like the old school look of the Klipsch compared to the elacs

Am happy to hear thoughts on what amps would work well with the Klipsch Heresy or if there are any other actives worth considering. I like a wide range of music genres and room size is approx 15 x 15 feet with an inbuilt TV console with speakers to be placed beside TV.

Thanks,
Marco   

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from Melbourne Australia - speaker & amp search
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2020, 01:12 am »
Welcome Marco   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 May 2020, 03:52 am by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2020, 01:34 am »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2020, 01:44 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

I got to hear the Navis B51 last year. I wasn’t especially wowed but it was just a quick and dirty demo in less than ideal conditions. Even so there wasn’t anything in particular that stood out about them that made me think I need to explore them a little closer.

MarcoN

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2020, 03:25 am »
Thanks Windchaser,

I haven't been able to hear the Navis B51 so am just working off reviews, youtube etc so good to hear your thoughts. The local distributors don't have any places to demo them  which makes it hard.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2020, 04:47 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had to call the regional distributor to set something up and then I had to drive more than 2 hours one way just to hear them. :|

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2020, 12:51 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest active speakers (low voltage input, crossover feeds single channel amps to individual drivers).  They're what the studios use to produce the music you listen to.  Actives are undeniably superior to passives in terms of design, cost, size, and sonics.  Important to go with a quality manufacturer that has experience with them like Adam, Dynaudio, Genelec, or Neumann.  And recommend going with an active that lacks digital/wireless circuitry as that is currently a newer and weaker point, a concession to the home market.

Actives allow the amp to interface directly to each driver.  The crossovers are more sophisticated and of higher quality.  Let the manufacturer select/design the amp to synergize best to the driver.  No speaker cable to fret over.  Fewer cabinets to place.  Dynamics will be improved.  Frequency response will be flatter (a revelation in itself).  Imaging will be bettered (fewer drivers, advanced crossover).  And depth/fullness of bass will be staggering.  But beware actives typically lack the colorations and veneer that attract so many audiophiles to the flame. 

20 years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair USD, 2-way monitors) versus Active 20 ($1600/pair USD, same drivers/cabinets).  It was no comparison, an ephiphany.  Since then have only used active designs.  However they don't play into the audiophile hunter mentality of needing to be constantly on the hunt for the next big flashy piece of gear. 

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2020, 01:09 pm »
Hi Marco,

Your from Melbourne you might want to check out Osborne Speakers as they are made locally.  Probably better value than going retail.  Also, you might want to check out stereo net.com.au classifieds for some hifi bargains.

Cheers Rod

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2020, 02:36 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Marco   :thumb:

MarcoN

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2020, 03:25 am »
Hi Marco,

Your from Melbourne you might want to check out Osborne Speakers as they are made locally.  Probably better value than going retail.  Also, you might want to check out stereo net.com.au classifieds for some hifi bargains.

Cheers Rod

Thanks Rod. I'm also a member of Steronet. I have gone through the all the Australian Manufacturers and closest candidate are the Vaf speakers linked below. They can make these active with a Hypex module.

https://vaf.com.au/collections/signature-speakers/products/signature-i25-meet-the-newest-and-the-best-stand-mount-speaker-weve-ever-made

MarcoN

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2020, 03:40 am »
Welcome!

Suggest active speakers (low voltage input, crossover feeds single channel amps to individual drivers).  They're what the studios use to produce the music you listen to.  Actives are undeniably superior to passives in terms of design, cost, size, and sonics.  Important to go with a quality manufacturer that has experience with them like Adam, Dynaudio, Genelec, or Neumann.  And recommend going with an active that lacks digital/wireless circuitry as that is currently a newer and weaker point, a concession to the home market.

Actives allow the amp to interface directly to each driver.  The crossovers are more sophisticated and of higher quality.  Let the manufacturer select/design the amp to synergize best to the driver.  No speaker cable to fret over.  Fewer cabinets to place.  Dynamics will be improved.  Frequency response will be flatter (a revelation in itself).  Imaging will be bettered (fewer drivers, advanced crossover).  And depth/fullness of bass will be staggering.  But beware actives typically lack the colorations and veneer that attract so many audiophiles to the flame. 

20 years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair USD, 2-way monitors) versus Active 20 ($1600/pair USD, same drivers/cabinets).  It was no comparison, an ephiphany.  Since then have only used active designs.  However they don't play into the audiophile hunter mentality of needing to be constantly on the hunt for the next big flashy piece of gear.

Thanks JLM,

My gut instinct is to go actives so appreciate the thoughts. Wasn't wowed by the Dynaudio but the Genelecs are promising. In addition to the Elac Navis B-51 I'm keen on hearing these actives

https://barefootsound.com/footprint01/