Digital Options: BCD-3 or BDP-3

shakey

Digital Options: BCD-3 or BDP-3
« on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:34 pm »
My digital sources right now are a 2009 Mac Mini with a Wavelength Audio USB DAC, and a Sony SCD-777ES SACD player. I mainly listen to LPs and never kept up with the Apple OS (running Snow Leopard). The OS system is no longer supported and every now and then files go missing. It could be track 3 of a cd I ripped and then I have to go through my cd storage and rip the thing all over again. My Sony player no longer reads SACD's and rebook cds take forever.
My dealer has suggested that I demo the BCD-3. I  like my tube DAC and am wondering if replacing the Mac mini with a BDP-3 would be the better solution? I'm not into having a mouse and keyboard and display as part of my system.
Assuming the DACs are equal, are ripped cd files any better sounding than a dedicated redbook player?

rmurray

Re: Digital Options: BCD-3 or BDP-3
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:50 pm »
  Well if you're considering a BCD3 you'll never regret it..IMO. I've worked my way up the cd player world from my Sony Es then a Carey ,followed by the Bryston CD1 ( which was the best one until it was discontinued due to the jokers at Phillips for ending the drive production.  THEN !...like a miracle , Bryston decides to remake the CD player using the 3 rd generation processors.and a finer tray loader from Stream Unlimited. Presto, things got even better ...my CD collection has revealed way more in micro details and accurate dynamics. :thumb:.... (I also purchased an extra Blue Tiger tray loader just in case...LOL).

GrooveControl

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2021, 11:00 pm »
Bits are Bits.  The DAC won't care who provides them.  Assuming you are ripping to lossless ALAC or FLAC, there should be no difference.   

Of course some people will argue and bring the term 'jitter' into the discussion.  I can't hear jitter, so don't care about it.   

Enjoy.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2021, 02:10 am »
Bits are Bits.  The DAC won't care who provides them.  Assuming you are ripping to lossless ALAC or FLAC, there should be no difference.   

Of course some people will argue and bring the term 'jitter' into the discussion.  I can't hear jitter, so don't care about it.   

Enjoy.

No disrespect meant but jitter can be pretty easy to hear with A/D and D/A converters.  Have you ever done a comparison with different converters?  The difference between a $100 clock and a $1000 clock can be night and day.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2021, 02:21 am »
My digital sources right now are a 2009 Mac Mini with a Wavelength Audio USB DAC, and a Sony SCD-777ES SACD player. I mainly listen to LPs and never kept up with the Apple OS (running Snow Leopard). The OS system is no longer supported and every now and then files go missing. It could be track 3 of a cd I ripped and then I have to go through my cd storage and rip the thing all over again. My Sony player no longer reads SACD's and rebook cds take forever.
My dealer has suggested that I demo the BCD-3. I  like my tube DAC and am wondering if replacing the Mac mini with a BDP-3 would be the better solution? I'm not into having a mouse and keyboard and display as part of my system.
Assuming the DACs are equal, are ripped cd files any better sounding than a dedicated redbook player?
Everything counts when you get into the digital realm and it's relatively easy to lose, misplace or misalign the 0's and 1's with digital files.  It will depend on how you rip the CD's and which redbook player you get if you go that route.  I would think that the BDP-3 would be a more attractive choice because it will give you a lot more music to choose from and you won't just be stuck with CD's.  You are looking at some very nice equipment and I think you will be quite satisfied with either route.  But will you be able to find all of the music that you want on CD or is streaming a better option since it has many higher quality than CD options and more options in general?

J2Ordan

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2021, 03:26 pm »
Shakey-

In my opinion, go with the BDP-3. You can add your own SSD to save some coin and then rip your CD's using db poweramp in aiff format.
I did so a few years back and have not regretted it. i hardly ever use the CD player and when i purchase new CD's they are ripped and loaded into the BDP.
The sound is as good as the CD on my McIntosh CD player.

You do need to have an Ethernet hook up but if one is not convenient, Bryston has two WiFi options for internet control. Transferring CD rips via WiFi can be slow but I use a 50 foot ethernet cable to connect the conputer to the BDP if there are a lot of CD's to transfer. The cable is tossed over the balcony form an upstairs bedroom to the living room stereo. You can also disconnect the BDP and move it to the computer for transfer. Using an external drive or NAS is also an option with the BDP.

It can also work with Tidal and Qobuz. Having had Qobuz for the past year, it's pretty amazing; selection and sound quality. I did try ROON but felt the SQ was better using the BDP directly with ripped CDs or Qobuz.

As you probably know, Bryston customer service is second to none.

hope this long winded reply is of some use in your decision making.

John

shakey

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:48 am »
I appreciate all the replies.

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2021, 02:38 pm »
Shakey-

In my opinion, go with the BDP-3. You can add your own SSD to save some coin and then rip your CD's using db poweramp in aiff format.
I did so a few years back and have not regretted it. i hardly ever use the CD player and when i purchase new CD's they are ripped and loaded into the BDP.

John

I agree with you. That only thing I'd add it that I would not get the SSD drive, but I would just use the USB drives.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2021, 04:34 pm »

I'd get the Sony -777ES repaired. DSD files never sound as good as original SACDs played on a dedicated SACD player.

Are you the original owner of the Sony?

vonnie123

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2021, 04:12 am »
I would suggest a BDP-3 with an external writable drive (similar to BOT-1).

SACDs would need to be converted to DSF files.

gbaby

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2021, 03:18 pm »
I'd get the Sony -777ES repaired. DSD files never sound as good as original SACDs played on a dedicated SACD player.

Are you the original owner of the Sony?

This is not true. The Sony XA5400ES betters the Sony 777ES, and SACD on my BDP-3 betters the XA-5400ES. It may be time for you to upgrade.

shakey

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2021, 04:41 pm »
I decided on the BCD-3. I have over 2500 CDs but less than 100 SACDs, most of those are hybrid discs. I have tried playing files for many years but most of my listening has been playing LPs. I enjoy physical media more. I only stream music when I’m in the car or away from home.

The Sony SCD-777ES is not the greatest cd player on it’s own. Just read the late Art Dudley’s review of the BCD-3. In my case, I used the Sony as a transport feeding a Meridian 518 (to re-clock the signal) right to a tube DAC. The other issue with the Sony is that that getting it repaired is not easy these days. It can read SACD only discs. It just takes a while. With hybrid discs it will only play the CD layer.

At some point I may build a second system around my Audio Physics Tempo Plus speakers. I like the  B135.

gbaby

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2021, 08:42 pm »
I decided on the BCD-3. I have over 2500 CDs but less than 100 SACDs, most of those are hybrid discs. I have tried playing files for many years but most of my listening has been playing LPs. I enjoy physical media more. I only stream music when I’m in the car or away from home.

The fact that you own 2500 CDs and 100 SACDs is the reason you should have opted for the BDP3. I own the same number of CDs and perhaps a little more SACDs as you and all CDs have been imported to a 2 gig hard drive on my computer that I play back on 4 USB drives on the BDP3 with each USB drive being 512 gig each. They are imported as either .aif or .wav files. I also am able to import my SACDs using a technique I found on the net and when I A/B the physical SACD vs. the DSF file, the sound is indistinguishable. I also own a Rega P6 turntable with and Ania moving coil cartridge using the phono preamp, the Bryston BP-20 and the PS3 power supply. None of the phono recordings beat the sound of the BDP3/BDA3 combination. So, am I saying good digital trumps analog? That answer is yes.  :o

shakey

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2021, 02:48 pm »
I have 2 tables: a Gyrodec with an SME 309 tonearm and I recently bought the Technics SL-1210GAE. Cartridges are a Lyra Kleos, Kiseki Purple Heart and an Ortofon cadenza bronze. I prefer analog much more over digital and now more than ever companies like Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Sam Records, Tone Poets, and others are putting out excellent records. There are great sounding CDs, but not all pressings are equal. The “loudness war” where they reduce the highs and lows and just raise the level and compress the hell out of them. Those discs are awful.

I may consider a file based source for a second system.

gbaby

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2021, 04:41 pm »
I have 2 tables: a Gyrodec with an SME 309 tonearm and I recently bought the Technics SL-1210GAE. Cartridges are a Lyra Kleos, Kiseki Purple Heart and an Ortofon cadenza bronze. I prefer analog much more over digital and now more than ever companies like Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Sam Records, Tone Poets, and others are putting out excellent records. There are great sounding CDs, but not all pressings are equal. The “loudness war” where they reduce the highs and lows and just raise the level and compress the hell out of them. Those discs are awful.

I may consider a file based source for a second system.

I, too, at one time preferred analog over digital. In fact, maybe one does not sound better than the other, just different. But, having what I consider a fairly good analog and digital, rig, my BDP3/BDA3, sounds better. I am sure that if I purchased a 5 figure turntable and cartridge, the analog would sound better, but that is cost prohibitive. In fact, listening to vinyl is a luxury to me. 

R. Daneel

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2021, 01:14 pm »
This is not true. The Sony XA5400ES betters the Sony 777ES, and SACD on my BDP-3 betters the XA-5400ES. It may be time for you to upgrade.

Hi!

You are extrapolating conclusions from something I have never actually said. I do not own the Sony -777ES. The -5400ES might be a better-sounding player in stock form but it isn't built as well and there are better players to be had, both in stock form or modified (like the -777ES). BDP-3 doesn't 'sound' like anything, it is a transport-only device.

Cheers!
Antun

gbaby

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2021, 09:02 pm »
Hi!

You are extrapolating conclusions from something I have never actually said. I do not own the Sony -777ES. The -5400ES might be a better-sounding player in stock form but it isn't built as well and there are better players to be had, both in stock form or modified (like the -777ES). BDP-3 doesn't 'sound' like anything, it is a transport-only device.

Cheers!
Antun

Sorry, I guess I was taking liberties with deductive reasoning. :oops:  I cannot say the BDP3 doesn't sound like anything. I do know it sounds better than the BDP-1. And, if you couple it with a decent D/A converter like the BDA-3 or even the SP-3, the sound is great.  :D