Automobiles that have factory audiophile quality sound systems

medium jim

Just curious, are there any?

Thanks,
Jim

paul canady

I have heard a lot of the new systems and I would not call them audiophile reference quality. My wife has the 2011 Acura MDX with Acura's best system and we drove many other vehicles as well. I drive a 2011 Duramax with the bose system and it serves it's purpose. It is equal to anything else that I heard in many of the 2011 vehicles. Nothing stood out to me.

Mr Peabody

I think the operative word is "audiophile" and what your expectations would be to justify that adjective.  I personally think to be an audiophile system it should have a certain standard of quality and attributes while others may disagree, some may think an audiophile system is what the manufacturers offer as their upgrade audio package.

I've only heard one factory system I would probably call audiophile, it's in certain Chrysler products.  I'd love to know who is making it for them.  I heard it in the Durango and also in my friends wagon, I can't remember the model.  What makes it audiophile I have never heard a better factory tweeter, it is smooth and clear, the bass is powerful, tight and detailed.  I simply couldn't believe it was a factory system.

I've heard a Levinson system in Lexus that was definitly better than average.  Kia offers an Infinity system with multiple speakers and sub which is better than average but there is still faults that would prevent me from claiming it an "audiophile" system.  Some years back I heard a JBL system in a Lincoln that was really good and if my memory was better I may rate it "audiophile".

HsvHeelFan

The supposed 2010 Sony System in the 2010 Ford Fusion is NOT.

It's supposed to be high power.  My previous car had much BETTER audio, but it was:

An Alpine Head Unit
Alpine Amps
Polk speakers 4x6 in the doors. 5x7 in the package sheld
MTX 10 in sub with MTX sub amp.

Neither is close, in any way, shape, form or fashion, to the home system.

HsvHeelFan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Just curious, are there any?

Thanks,
Jim
I don't think so.  My car has a Bose.  Never thought I'd own a Bose system that cost that much.   :duh:

Audioclyde

Regardless of the sometimes relatively high quality of electronics and speakers that auto manufacturers may offer, almost every stock auto systems needs a substantial amount of noise cancelling/damping lining (such as that made by Second Skin and other) put in doors behind speakers, etc. to sound close to what we want....

medium jim

The use of the word audiophile in the mobile setting impies (to me) that it stands out above the crowd. The limitations of any moving vehicle are a given.  Yet, with proper door treatments to create a quieter soundfloor one can get a pretty darn good sounding system in their respective vehicle. 

Many luxury cars of today have rather quiet cabins and would be the likely canidate to have a off the showroom floor audiophile system.  The weak link almost always is the speakers as they're what cost the most to get you there.

Jim

medium jim

Popular Mechanics put out their top 10 list:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/top-10-cars-for-audiophiles#slide-1

Some surprising entries....

Jim

kenreau

I've got a newer Audi A6 and while it sounds decent, it is nothing close to my Toyota Sequoia SUV custom system (Alpine, Audison amp, Hertz speakers in pods, sound deadending second skin products, etc.).  I've also rode in a few new higher end BMWs with "upgraded" systems that are a big step forward, but you're in the $75K to $100K range and out of my budget. 

I had looked at doing upgrades to the A6 and found out the factory head systems just feed elaborate dsp & eq devices made to make mediocre / bose speakers put in poor locations sound decent.  The oem speakers I've seen in even these higher end German cars are cheap generic speakers.  The factory head systems are also often burdened with navigation, bells and whistles, displays, dvds,etc.  The factory speaker locations are also typically choose for appearances and not sound quality.  Only recently have I seen them start putting at least the tweeters up in the A-pillars.  It's typically no longer possible to just drop in upgraded / audiophile speaker drivers because the factory DSP / EQ can't be tweeked back to a near flat / normal response and make them sound right.

It has become a real hair ball to retrofit a higher end amp and speaker systems in most of the newer cars.  In order to continue to use their OEM head unit displays, you end up needing to reverse engineer EQ'ing their settings in order to get real audiophile speakers to sound right (insert new DSP unit).  You will also end up needing to bypass the factory amp because it can be part of the DSP box and electronics (insert new Amp).  It can all be done, and sound much better, but figure on a minimum of $3K to $5K+  I finally gave up and said the A6 is good enough - it's the wifes daily driver and now when we go on long road trips I'll just use my Etymotics and JDS labs Altoids mint can amp for sonic bliss.

To see some real s.o.t.a. automobile audiophile sound systems, check out the recent TONEAudio issues.  The most recent is an ultra cool Porsche 911 Carrera with a Burmester sound system.  Check it out at tonepublications dot com   There are some other back issues with Jeff test driving similar awesome cars and sound systems as well.  If these are in your budget range, then, yes, there are some automobiles with (as close as possible) audiophile sound systems.

Kenreau

TomS

Kenreau,

I'm in the same camp of "good enough" with the B&O system on my A4 Avant. It is one of the best I've had for a stock system. Not high end, but satisfying enough for road trips and it integrates iPod and has BT to stream Pandora and such.

Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Automobiles that have factory audiophile quality sound systems
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2012, 06:53 pm »
I don't think so.  My car has a Bose.  Never thought I'd own a Bose system that cost that much.   :duh:

The system in my wife's new car is an "upgraded" Bose setup, while I opted for the "upgraded" Harmon Kardon setup with 12 or 13 speakers.

In both cases it is good enough and not near the quality of the systems I installed myself in my cars during and right after college.

George

kenreau

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2012, 07:12 pm »
Kenreau,

I'm in the same camp of "good enough" with the B&O system on my A4 Avant. It is one of the best I've had for a stock system. Not high end, but satisfying enough for road trips and it integrates iPod and has BT to stream Pandora and such.

Tom

Yep. I do need to look into adding a BT, both for streaming and the hands free cell phone use

Kenreau

rbbert

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm »
ToneAudio recently reviewed the Range Rover Evoque and its audiophile system. 

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm »
Jim,

There have been a few alliances over the years. Linn and Aston Martin, Volvo and Dynaudio, Lexus and Mark Levinson; B&O and Audi; BMW and Lexicon and Bugatti and Burmeister.

A few years ago Fremer did a full article (he also did a primer in his Analog Corner) on the Lexus/Levinson. I can't seem to find the article online but I remember reading that Fremer loved the system.

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm »
Scott:

Thanks...maybe I will find some spare time and will see if I can find the article you speak of.

Jim

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:23 am »
Dirac Research does digital processing and has systems installed in factory BMWs, Bentleys, Rolls. This is like DEQX for the car, except even better processing algorithms. They are making PC software for home audio processing now too.   http://www.dirac.se/en/start.aspx

motorcitym3

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:44 am »
My 5 series BMW has an impressive Lexicon Logic7 14 speaker sound system.   It's the best I've heard to date in an auto.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:01 am »
The Devon GTX had a nice stereo.

Here's a link about the 2010 Devon GTX.

Mighty fine.  :D

Have fun,

Jerry

medium jim

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:56 am »
Jerry:

Sure looks like a McIntosh system in the Devon.  Bet it sounds really good, dare I say Audiophile good :thumb:

Jim

chgolatin2

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:09 am »
Audiophile quality music in a car?  NEVER!  Next topic!  Good sound possibly but "audiophile sound?"  No, just imagine the cost of the vehicle and Bose is NOT considered an "Audiophile system"  Marketing crap yes it is but to consider Bose to be compared to "Audiophile quality sound or system" NEVER!  EVER!   Bose is crap, people that don't know about music or "audiophile equipment" rave about Bose, and honestly...  That's so sad! 

Learn about music, sound, equipment etc than talk about Bose being an "Audiophile system"  good "QUALITY" stereo systems are not purchased at Target, Best Buy, or any other major electronic stores.   :nono: :nono: :nono: