Joule White at Newport Beach 2014

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Joule White at Newport Beach 2014
« on: 30 May 2014, 08:47 pm »

Room is setup and ready to go at Newport after a long Drive the Joule White is ready to play the center of attention in another great system partnered with Empirical Audio, Clayton Audio, and featuring the Antipodes music server.  The room is sounding great, look forward to seeing all of you here.

Cheeseboy

Re: Joule White at Newport Beach 2014
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
Don't you think those Claytons are a bit over the top for that small room?

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2014, 09:59 pm »
The Vapor room was one of the best sounding last year. I'm sure it will be again this year.

I like the look of these better than the Nimbus, and those were beauties.

I'll be there on Sunday.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2014, 10:26 pm »
Don't you think those Claytons are a bit over the top for that small room?
I enjoyed my Clayton's (M-200 & M-300) but can't imagine using them in a show environment.  Hope the AC works well!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2014, 10:37 pm »
Don't turn on the AC and the amps.  Ha. 

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2014, 01:36 pm »
I have the Clayton S100 and it is really one of the best amps I have ever heard, pair that with that Empircal audio DAC which I think without a doubt is the best on the market bar none and then pair that with the top of the line Vapor Audio speakers, that has got to be one great sounding room (so long as the room acoustics aren't terrible.)  This is my dream system and it is almost within my reach :).  I look forward to seeing insights into how this room actually sounds.  As far as too much amp for a small room, that doesn't even make sense, you can always turn an amp up or down within a room to get the most out of a speaker, especially with a 3 way design where it may use more power than a 2 way design due to impedance and more drivers and what not.

great room Ryan!

verdun47

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2014, 11:25 pm »
sharpsuxx:  Just curious .........   Vapor, Clayton, Empirical, I understand, classy stuff, but Antipodes (server) doesn't rate?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2014, 11:40 pm »
Hell ya they do.... I have not heard the server, but I use their Reference interconnects and speaker cables, and they are absolutely amazing. I'm a fan.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2014, 06:31 pm »
Some more pics of the Joule Whites at Newport 2014.  It has been a great how in California this year.  You can see some of detail from the veneer on the sides to really see what the finish looks like.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
Just added a video of the system playing at T.H.E Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmHRE1EU6c

spreadspectrum

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2014, 06:57 pm »
Gorgeous, as always.

I notice that the stands are different than on some previous builds.  I imagine these are customizeable?

pconley2

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2014, 12:02 am »
Ryan, Great show, wonderful meeting you and Pete, the speakers are lovely, I hope the rest of the show went well for you and that the drive home is a easy as ours was today.  Andi and I talked all the way home to San Jose about how wonderful they looked and how well they sounded.
phil

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:10 pm »
sharpsuxx:  Just curious .........   Vapor, Clayton, Empirical, I understand, classy stuff, but Antipodes (server) doesn't rate?

I have heard the Antipodes server and it does sound quite good.  To be honest I haven't heard a Music Server that really set itself apart from the rest yet.  The Empirical stands apart from every DAC I have ever heard, and the Clayton Audio is perfect for people who love tube sound but need more power, such a great musical sounding amp.

Agreed though the Antipodes is a great unit, just hasn't made itself dream system material for me yet.

santacore

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2014, 02:10 pm »
I was in the Vapor room Sunday, and thought it sounded great! The bass was overpowering for the room, but I thought the overall tone and imaging were really nice. Although the finish on the speakers was not my taste, I thought they looked really nicely finished. Those are some big speakers and massive amps.

I loved the looks and sound of the new Empirical line. Great work Steve.

bajaed

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm »
The engineering and finish on the Joules looks flawless. I didn't realize the sides were veneered at first. What is the paint and wood used? Is the veneer dyed?

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2014, 10:10 am »
I have owned the M300 but ran into constant reliability issue of sending them back and forth, I also found the build quality on the amplifier not that great for the asking price of 18,000 dollars. Great amplifier but its a shame these seem to have reliability  problems or noise issues. Search on Audiogon you will see countless post on that. Apart from build and certain issues i agree they are top sounding amplifiers, My Atma MA2 since replaces them and have no need to ever change amplifiers again.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2014, 08:14 pm »
The engineering and finish on the Joules looks flawless. I didn't realize the sides were veneered at first. What is the paint and wood used? Is the veneer dyed?

Thanks for the kind words ...

The paint a 3-stage candy red.  Base color is a VERY metallic pewter grey with transparent red layered on top to the desired final effect.  The final color can be varied greatly based on how much transparency coat is applied.  The veneer is Sapele Pomelle which starts as a very gold color, and then was covered with about 15 coats of bright red toned urethane gloss. 

jhm731

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2014, 08:20 pm »
Comments on WBF:

"sound I wanted to like:

Vapor/Clayton- again, we have an integration issue. the mids/highs had promise on friday, but i was hesitant on the bass and thought it could be room related- however, upon a second listen perhaps the transmission line gave the dreaded 1-note bass or the woofer was too slow for the package. It was distracting."

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2014, 09:54 pm »
Next year get a bigger room so we can hear them.  Everyone wants you to be successful.  I'd like to hear a pair before I buy them. 

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2014, 01:43 am »
Friday was a particularly bad day to hear the system because the Clayton amps had virtually no break-in.  Sunday they were finally singing.  One also had a wiring error in it that I fixed on Saturday night, allowing the use of the Final Drives on Sunday, which put it over the top.  We were running it all night every night and unfortunately the noise interfered with a neighbors sleep one night.  We did not know he was there and tried to check before hand.  I was told that sleeping room was not supposed to be there anyway. :oops:

A conductor of the LA Philharmonic or Symphony came in on Sunday and told us that it was just like standing at his perch directing.  He said his system was a LOT more expensive with big name equipment and did not sound nearly as lifelike.  He also dragged in another backup conductor to hear it.

I consider it my best show ever, beating all previous ones for SQ. :thumb:

Planning to get that room again for 2015, but this time GIK acoustics will do the treatments.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio