A DIY boombox???

Tonto Yoder

A DIY boombox???
« on: 14 Sep 2003, 10:55 am »
Kevin,
wondered if anybody ever expressed an interest in assembling some sort of mono boombox using something like an ASL Wave and a version of the Solar driver????  Listener mag once pictured a DIY affair (I remember the bright yellow casework vividly) using a computer CD drive as source.

I've always questioned the value of stereo as far as a boombox is concerned--I mean the speakers are 12 inches apart! So I thought one might attain better sound (at half the price) by doing a mono set-up.
I KNOW this is a goofy question and wonder if I'd really go through with it if I figured out the cost, but thought I'd ask the question anyway. Somehow the oddball aspect appeals to me.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
A DIY boombox???
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2003, 11:21 am »
T.Y.:

What you're describing sounds alot like the Tivoli Audio, Henry Kloss Model One Radio (quality mono all in one radio with 3" speaker for $100 USD).  They have a whole line of products that expand the concept into adding a CD player, powered sub, and second (stereo) speaker.  IMO, the beauty in the design is ruined when all those components are added.

From what I've read, the Norh SE-9 would be a better amp to start with than the ASL Waves (better sound, single box, pre amp functions included).  A compact design using the Jordan 92S are commerically available and the Jordan site has plans for small speakers that tuck into the corners of your space.  Throw in one of the new inexpensive Pioneer disc players and you'd have a nice, relatively small system (for around $1,000 USD if you build your own speaker cabinets).

A 4" x 7" 20 wpc class D stereo power amp is available for $400 USD.  Add a CD player with volume control and you'd have a second option.

Check out JOB (a Swiss company that makes small amps, pre amps, and DAC's).  They also offer a small dipole type of stereo speaker in a single cabinet.

jeff

Tonto Yoder

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2003, 01:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Something like the Tivoli (but with a CD source) would be a good solution; if it were designed to be portable, even better.
This was the Listener article that started my thinking

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
A DIY boombox???
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:27 pm »
Along those same lines, I've always wanted to take an old console (you know, the big wooden ones our grandparents had, the the turntable, radio, speakers and somtimes cassette/8 track in one floorstanding cabinet), gut it, and add all new components.  I'd probably either get some cheap-but-decent speakers (eg Athena, Omage, etc) and mount them inside or just get my own drivers and build a custom set inside the cabinet.

This isn't an idea with a lot of practical use but it'd be a lot of fun.  Probably nostalgia, but I spent a lot of time listening to my grandma's old console as a little kid.  A refurbed console could be useful in a rec room/ den or for a non audiophile friend or relative to use.

JLM

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:45 pm »
There's alot to be said for simple.  That's one of the premises behind the Solar 1.0 speakers.

The highly (and sucessfully) marketed frequency extremes are typically more bother than they're worth.  The last treble octave usually requires a crossover (that introduces phasing problems and robs energy) from a cone to a dome (that radiate signals in different ways and normally from different places).  The bottom octave or two of bass takes a tremendous amount of power, can overpressurize the room, excites resonances, and requires large/expensive designs.

The Solar 1.0 covers most of the treble range quite well with proper toe-in and provides adequate bass in smaller rooms and many recordings.  A powered sub can be added and set to fill in the right amount of bass.  BTW, some argue that whizzer cones, as used by larger full range drivers are in fact a mechanical crossover that suffer from doppler effects and cone/whizzer interactions.  Similar doppler and crossover concerns can be raised regarding concentric drivers.

By "giving up" extreme bass and treble you gain purity of source; coherency without a crossover; efficiency for better micro and macro dynamices; and perfect point source imaging with a 3 - 5 inch diameter single driver speaker.

jeff

JLM

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:48 pm »
There's alot more than meets the eye with some of those old consoles.  

Ebay is full of old Electro Voice concentric drivers and tube amps that are remarkable finds.  A little knowledge and elbow grease can net some real gems.

jeff

Tonto Yoder

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2003, 08:02 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Along those same lines, I've always wanted to take an old console (you know, the big wooden ones our grandparents had, the the turntable, radio, speakers and somtimes cassette/8 track in one floorstanding cabinet), gut it, and add all new components.

I believe Barzilay furniture thought along those lines as well--they offered just the wooden console and let the customer fill with whatever gear he/she chose. I saw one of these recently with a Garrard Zero 100 TT, Kenwood receiver and some tape deck.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
A DIY boombox???
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2003, 09:10 pm »
Yeah, that looks sorta like I had in mind.  That's be easier than refurbing and old one, but I imagine the cost might be high.  It's hard to guess what they might charge for something like that.  I think my folks have a couple of old consoles in storage somewhere that I could mess around with.

Just a vague notion right now, a project I would undertake 'someday' if time and money permit.

KevinW

Re: A DIY boombox???
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2003, 03:43 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Kevin,
wondered if anybody ever expressed an interest in assembling some sort of mono boombox using something like an ASL Wave and a version of the Solar driver????  Listener mag once pictured a DIY affair (I remember the bright yellow casework vividly) using a computer CD drive as source.

I've always questioned the value of stereo as far as a boombox is concerned--I mean the speakers are 12 inches apart! So I thought one might attain better sound (at half the price) by doing a mono set-up.
I KNOW this ...

This is actually a pretty nice idea!  The Jordan JX92S would be an excellent driver for a mono radio box.  No crossover is needed, so that's simple, and it could sound VERY good.  The Wave 8 is a very sweet sounding amp, especially when auricaps are installed.  It's also very easy to remove from the chassis.  It's the perfect low cost combination.  If you want to DIY something like this, I'll help you with the box design for the Jordan.

KevinW

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2003, 03:50 am »
Quote from: JLM

From what I've read, the Norh SE-9 would be a better amp to start with than the ASL Waves (better sound, single box, pre amp functions included). A compact design using the Jordan 92S are commerically available and the Jordan site has plans for small speakers that tuck into the corners of your space. Throw in one of the new inexpensive Pioneer disc players and you'd have a nice, relatively small system (for around $1,000 USD if you build your own speaker cabinets).

A 4" x 7" 20 wpc class D stereo power amp is available for $400 USD. Add a CD player with volume control and you'd have a second option.

Which amp is that?  Sounds interesting.

Also, the stock Wave 8's are tremendously improved with the auricap mod and NOS Svetlana 6BM8 tubes.  The SE-1 doesn't technically have "real" preamp functions, it just has an input switch and a passive volume control.  I wonder how my modded Wave 8's would stack up?  Incidently, I'll be releasing info on the mods I am offereing to ASL gear shortly.

cjr888

A DIY boombox???
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2003, 04:58 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Yeah, that looks sorta like I had in mind.  That's be easier than refurbing and old one, but I imagine the cost might be high.  It's hard to guess what they might charge for something like that.  I think my folks have a couple of old consoles in storage somewhere that I could mess around with.

Just a vague notion right now, a project I would undertake 'someday' if time and money permit.

Rob, Tonto.....

Want me to change your opinion on (1) needing to refurb an old one and (2) the cost being too high and (3) thinking you'd actually have to replace the electronics?

I almost pulled the trigger and bought this unit this morning -- if buying wasn't 100x easier than selling (thus me not having an entire living room full of unused audio equipment right now), I would have bid on this, rented a van next weekend, and dragged this back to NJ.

Outside of the low cost, and the fact that the electronics are in beautiful shape, I would have paid the offered no reserve price simply for the beautiful piece of furniture.

If there's anyone in the DC area, buy this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046200575&category=14980&rd=1

I still may suck it up and buy it...  Maybe it would force me to pack everything else up and sell all the extra stuff I have.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
A DIY boombox???
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2003, 06:49 am »
I don't mean to hijack Kevin's circle, but WOW! that's just gorgeous.  Much nicer that the "Sears Roebuck" type my G-ma had.  I could see that something like that would be nice in a small room or as a second system.

I love the concept of taking an old style vintage console and updating it with modern electronics.  I'm thinking SS & a CD player, along w/ FM.  I likely wouldn't need a 'table or tape deck.  Well, maybe the tape deck would be cool.

Mostly this hypothetical unit would be nice for my uncle or my folks.  I have an uncle that likes music (oddly, country and opera! :o ) but isn't at all into gear.  And my folks love a wide variety of music but get intimidated by a rackful of gear.

Very cool pics.