Looking for ideas for maybe a new digital camera to replace current FZ150

chip

Good thought on the step up ring.

I am going to watch some more videos on the new 18-55 but if I can get it for that price tag why not.

I think I will wait to see/hear more on the new 70-300 than decide on that or the 55-300.

Thanks for the input.

One of my recent favs - Lost Lake, Oregon

Camera   Nikon NIKON D3300
Lens   AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II
ISO   100
Focal Length   36.0 mm (54.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture   f/6.3
Exposure Time   0.004s (1/250)

Randy

Beautiful. Looks like an oil painting.

[/quote]

chip

Still thinking on what I want to do.

Keep the 55-200mm and add a 200-500mm - not sure I want to spend that much on a lense.

Sell the 55-200 and either get the 55-300 or newer 70-300.

Time to do some more reading/video watching I guess.

drewm

If you aren't interested in spending the coin for the Nikon 200-500mm which is a great lens, there's an almost just as great Tamron 150-600mm that you can find for about $650 if you're patient enough to wait for a great deal:
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?firstonly=1&forumchoice%5B%5D=4&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&forumchoice%5B%5D=10&forumchoice%5B%5D=13&forumchoice%5B%5D=25&forumchoice%5B%5D=30&forumchoice%5B%5D=38&forumchoice%5B%5D=39&forumchoice%5B%5D=41&forumchoice%5B%5D=44&forumchoice%5B%5D=53&forumchoice%5B%5D=54&forumchoice%5B%5D=71&mode=frontpage&q=tamron+150-600mm

It really depends how much you value birds/distant animals.

Going from 200mm to 300mm isn't really much of a jump to spend the money. The 70-300mm pays for itself in terms of fast autofocus tracking though, but that's really only useful if you're tracking fast moving animals.

Although by the time you get really serious, the better low light autofocus units of the D7200 and D750 do end up paying dividends when using longer slower lenses. I must admit I've recently moved from a D5500 to a D750 for the better high ISO sensitivity, better low light autofocus, and autofocus facial recognition. Although I do admit I hate the additional camera weight. On top of that, landscape shots are pretty much identical.

chip

Well I gave in and ordered the Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR .

Johnny2Bad

For non-Nikon glass I always bought Tokina over Tamron. Ex Nikon startup, although "startup" as in 1975. Still, Nikon is one of a very few companies that actually make their own glass, so they knew what they were doing, and it shows in the Tokina product. I had an 80-200 f2.8 Tokina lens (for my film cameras) that was absolutely outstanding at both ends and in between. All my other lenses were Nikkors.

chip

Ok so  here is my list of lenses as of right now.

Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G

I would say I use the 18-55 the most.

So would it pay to get rid of the top 3 lenses in the list and just buy a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens?

SET Man

So would it pay to get rid of the top 3 lenses in the list and just buy a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens?

Hey!

Well, first off I'm not a Nikon user.

But as an old saying goes... the more zoom range you cramped into one barrel the quality will go down compared to says 2 separate zooms. But wide-range zooms these days seems to be very good with advanced optical designs and coating.

From your list, maybe get rid of the 55-200mm and keep the rest? But if you want to go for an all in one zoom maybe this one, Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872407-REG/Nikon_AF_S_DX_18_300mm_f_3_5_5_6G.html

It is bigger but you do gain 1/2 stop at long end. To save money perhaps look for a good used one.

Anyway, personally I do sometime wish I could just have one wide range zoom when I travel but when I think of the quality and f stops I'll loose I just can't do it. So, I just have to haul my two heavy zooms with me everywhere I go  :icon_lol:

Well, use whatever works for you  :wink:

Take care,
Buddy

drewm

I own the smaller lighter 18-200mm, and I hate it. I'm surprised I haven't sold it off yet. Wide open on the short end it's not very sharp in the corners, All 3 of the 18-55mm series lenses I've owned outperform it. On top of that it's insanely heavy, so much that I hate carrying it attached to a camera. I can only imagine how heavy and clumsy the bigger 18-300 must be. I'd highly recommend visiting a camera store to try that lens out first, you may really hate the extra weight hanging off the front of your camera.

The only thing I'd change in your lenses is selling the 18-55mm AF-S, getting about $80 for it, and buying the newer 18-55mm AF-P VR grey market for about $90 from someone like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AF-P-DX-NIKKOR-AFP-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6G-VR-lens-/172298040544?hash=item281dc374e0:g:duMAAOSw-itXp6JW

It's a seriously sweet lens, especially wide open, and focuses crazy fast. I almost prefer it over my 35mm F1.8G, which I'd never thought I'd ever say. Just check out Rockwell's wide open samples:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-af-p.htm

Kit lenses are never that sharp wide open. Nikon really created a masterpiece.

And you don't need the 55-200mm if you have a 70-300mm.

JohnR

Depends on what you want to do (photography wise).

Must your lenses be auto-focus? If not, there's a vast (er) range of older lenses available.

For example, here are lenses I'd consider (my personal preference):

AF:

* 85 mm AF-D f/1.8 - I've not owned one but a pro photog friend of mine still does a large amount of his work with one.
* 60mm AF-S - really good fuss-free short macro lens
* 300mm AF-S f/4 - heavy and needs a better tripod support, but always delivers for me.

Manual focus:

* Cosina Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4
* Nikon 45mm AI-P - awkward to use but renders really nicely - I regret having sold mine
* Nikon 85mm f/2.8 PC (old version)
* Nikon 28mm f/2 Ai-S

I'm not familiar with the lenses Nikon have come out in the last few years but the 40mm micro and the 16-85 would be two I'd look into if building a budget kit.

You can find reviews of older lenses here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

You can find specs of most Nikon lenses here: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html

KEH is (or was, I assume still so) a reliable vendor of used lenses: https://www.keh.com

chip

Yeah right now I am trying to sell the 55-200mm but no bites yet.  Only selling it for $90 shipped.

Still undecided but suggestions from here and other sites - not buying until I unload at least one of my current lenses.

selling the 18-55mm AF-S, getting about $80 for it, and buying the newer 18-55mm AF-P VR grey market for about $90
16-85
Nikon 18-140mm
16-80 but it is expensive

JohnR

It's basically a "free" lens, I don't think you will get much for it.

drewm

The 16-85 isn't very sharp along with the 18-140mm on the wide end, both much worse than the 18-55mm AF-P. All the big zoom lenses are "convenience" lenses which trade off sharpness for zoom range. Depends if you're okay with that.

The 16-80mm has F2.8 on the wide end and is very sharp, but it's 17oz, which is very heavy on a small DX body. And honestly, F2.8 isn't very far from the F3.5 of the 18-55mm AF-P.  Also if you're shooting in low light situations that need a big aperture, you're still better off with a F1.8 prime lens.

The only other DX lens I tend to recommend is the 10-24mm ultrawide, which I also own, but ultrawides are some of the most difficult to use in terms of framing and making great photos.

You should really get comfortable with what you have and learn your lens limitations which will point you toward what other lenses you require. It really depends what you shoot.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2017, 12:04 am by drewm »

JohnR

The 16-85 isn't very sharp

Oh OK. I thought I had read good things about it earlier  :oops:

Anyway, personally, I think there is more to lenses than focal length.

:thumb:

drewm

Oh OK. I thought I had read good things about it earlier  :oops:

Anyway, personally, I think there is more to lenses than focal length.

Lenses are limited by physics. Prime lenses will nearly always be sharper than zooms, but they have less convenience. The longer the zoom range, the worse it usually will perform.
I can tell you my dream DX lineup is pretty much:
Nikon 10-24mm AF-S Nikkor f/3.5-4.5G DX ED (ultra wide for landscapes, and artsy perspective distortion)
Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P DX VR G NIKKOR (general midrange zoom, landscapes, portraits)
Nikon 70-300mm VR AF-P f/4.5-6.3 DX ED (distance zoom for animals)
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX (best in the dark and best for people)

A lot of travelers use the 18-200mm, but only because they hate swapping lenses and are willing to put up with the heavy weight and reduced sharpness in the corners.

You really can't do much better without going significantly more expensive and heavier.

What kinds of subjects are you shooting/want to shoot? What do you care about, more sharpness, more convenience?

JohnR

Lenses are limited by physics. Prime lenses will nearly always be sharper than zooms, but they have less convenience. The longer the zoom range, the worse it usually will perform.

Yes but!

There is also more to it than sharpness. My list included a couple of macro lenses, because that's one of the things I like to do. Nikon did make a zoom macro lens but I was never able to get hold of one (at a reasonable price). And there is also the way the lens "looks." Sometimes.

Personally, I do like to have a midrange zoom for general-purpose "taking pictures." The kit zooms from Nikon and Fuji work fine for that (IME).

When you go outside of that, I personally prefer primes and special purpose lenses. Compare a small fixed wide angle with a wide angle zoom, and then ask yourself a. which looks better and b. which you would rather carry. (With that said, my wide prime is not a Nikon, it's a Fuji. I guess I gave up on Nikon producing a high quality wide prime for DX size sensors at a reasonable price.)

Similar for telephoto.

But! To each their own. I currently use a Metabones adapter to mount my Nikon lenses on a Fuji sensor. In future.... who knows.

drewm

Yes but!

There is also more to it than sharpness. My list included a couple of macro lenses, because that's one of the things I like to do. Nikon did make a zoom macro lens but I was never able to get hold of one (at a reasonable price). And there is also the way the lens "looks." Sometimes.

Personally, I do like to have a midrange zoom for general-purpose "taking pictures." The kit zooms from Nikon and Fuji work fine for that (IME).

When you go outside of that, I personally prefer primes and special purpose lenses. Compare a small fixed wide angle with a wide angle zoom, and then ask yourself a. which looks better and b. which you would rather carry. (With that said, my wide prime is not a Nikon, it's a Fuji. I guess I gave up on Nikon producing a high quality wide prime for DX size sensors at a reasonable price.)

Similar for telephoto.

But! To each their own. I currently use a Metabones adapter to mount my Nikon lenses on a Fuji sensor. In future.... who knows.

Agreed, I don't think Nikon has much of an incentive to produce wide primes for DX because they know those people are looking for a cheap overall package. That's part of the reason why I moved to FX, the lens selection is significantly better. I also prefer primes, my favorite lens happens to be my Nikon 50mm F/1.8 and I also own a Fuji X100S just because I love the look of primes.

charmerci

Funny, I have a Panasonic FZ200 and someone locally was selling their lightly used Nikon D3300 which I bought with the Nikon DX18--55 lens. I seem to be following in your footsteps Chip.

Please don't buy a really expensive camera next! I can't afford it!  :lol:

chip

Nope not at this time. Just sold the FZ150 as well. May buy more/better lenses but that is about it.

chip

Well I just got the 18-55mm AF-P VR hopefully I can try it out this weekend.