The Concert DVD/BR thread

JoshK

The Concert DVD/BR thread
« on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:35 pm »
How many of you collect concert videos (DVD or BR)?    I do, and I am starting to setup a concert library on my Synology NAS.    I am currently using an nVidia Shield with a variation of Kodi (SPMC) as the player.    I thought a big thread on specifically concert videos would be really interesting as audiophiles I am sure are into this kind of thing.

First might I suggest starting out your initial posts like:

1) top 3 favorite videos you own
2) method used to playback with subpoints for software(if any), player(if any), server(if any), format

Mag

Re: The Concert DVD/BR thread
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:07 pm »
I have a significant collection mostly dvd. Currently using a new source, my intel 7 custom computer using VLC through usb to dac, bypassing soundcard on computer. Haven't tried soundcard on computer but read the intel 7 chip is pretty good.

Can't limit my favorites to just 3 so I'll list the ones I listen to on regular basis.

AC/DC live in Donington
Scorpians - Amazonia
Scorpians- Unplugged
U2 - Elevation
Rush- Exit Stage Left
Kitaro- Yakushiji
Led Zeppelin- DVD
Led Zepplelin- Song Remains the Same
Tangerine Dream - Live in Lisbon
Jarre - Live in Monaco
Uriah Heep - Live in Armenia
Dream Theatre - Luna Park
Judas Priest - Epitath
Ultravox- Return to Eden
Iron Maiden - Rio
Santana - Sacred Fire
Joe Satriani - Live in San Francisco
Blue Man Group - The Complex
ELO - Zoom
ZZ Top - Live in Germany 1980
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Peter Gabriel - Growing Up

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2016, 12:34 am »
I used to collect concert videos years ago, but sadly have zero in Blu Ray.

The only one I am lusting after is the one that does not exist: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii on Blu Ray. Adrian Maben's 35mm copy was transferred to HDCAM SR and restored a few years ago now. The B&W footage of the band slurping oysters and beer in Paris was scanned and restored in full 2K resolution, and there have already been screenings of the whole thing in Paris. Apparently Roger Waters is in possession of the original multi-tracks, so a proper stereo and surround mix is absolutely possible. This should have happened already.

The so-called Director's Cut was a travesty. This film deserves a proper treatment once and for all.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:07 am »
I have Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii, cd if that is of interest to you? 8)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:30 am »
Ohhh... I love these threads!
Admittedly, I don't have very many, but the ones I'm passionate about are:

Chris Botti - Live in Boston [Blu-Ray]
Roger Waters - The Wall, Live in Berlin (this is a bucket list item for Floyd fans) [DVD]
David Gilmour - Live at Royal Albert [Blu-Ray] (video quality is amazing)
Diana Krall - Live in Paris [DVD] (great quality)
"Crossroads Guitar Festival" - frankly, all  of them are awesome.  [DVD]
JJ Grey - Brighter Days [DVD] I would trade all of my concert videos for this one. I love his music
Adele - Live at Royal Albert [DVD] (I'm not an Adele fan, but this concert is good quality and just FUN to watch!
Harry Connick Jr. - Live on Broadway [DVD] Again, lots of fun.

The DVDs I use a PS3, and the Blu-Ray I use a PS4

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2016, 04:18 am »
Excellent thread idea! I'm a big fan of concert videos or audio only albums. I just haven't had a chance to add so many yet.

I store my files as mkv on my server. The server is a Lenovo thinkserver TS140 which I have in a different room. This server has a small formfactor and is pretty silent for being a server - it takes 4-5 hardrives depending in config. Highly recommended and it (or similar ones) can often be found on sale for cheap.

I run openmediavault as the nas software which is free and can be highly customized since its linux based and let's you run a lot of stuff in the background including plex, emby, etc.
Don't let the Linux portion scare you - it's as easy to install and set up as installing windows since everything is ran from a graphical user interface.

I use a raspberry pi2 as the streamer running OSMC (kodi). The hdmi out goes to the screen and I use an USB dac to connect the audio to the system. I have a a chromecast and a firestick in the house too which I can stream videos to via plex or emby but I prefer the rpi with kodi as the player since it gives me more options since I don't have to use HDMI and can use any DAC/amp (at least for stereo recordings) instead of using a HT receiver. The one small thing with splitting the audio and video like this is that it requires some simple tweaking to get the lip sync correct.

As a side note, one can also send youtube videos etc straight to kodi from the phone plus I added shairport sync so I can stream audio services (spotify, tidal) as well from my phone, not to mention I also have it set up in one system to do active cross over.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2016, 03:00 pm »
I started the thread because, while I've seen some talk of concert videos, I hadn't really seen much of a thread dedicated to such a topic.   Once I got my home theater system dialed in to sound and look really good, I started picking up concert videos and realized that I really love that format as it puts you at the venue if done well.   I go to a LOT of concerts, but being able to see whomever/whenever/where-ever you want is really awesome.

My top pics at this moment are:
1) Dark Tranquility - where death is most alive [dvd] 
2) Gojira - The Flesh Alive [blu ray] 
3) Cream - Live in the Royal Albert Hall [blu ray]
4) Opeth - Live in the Royal Albert Hall [blu ray] 
5) Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve [blu ray]
6) Steven Wilson - Drive Home [blu ray]
7) Porcupine Tree - Aenestitize [blu ray]
8) Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere [dvd]
9) Nine Inch Nails - Beside You in Time [blu ray]    Actually this is particularly a great one as it is recorded in various venues and you can actually here the difference in the venue's acoustics on the disc. 

I probably have 60-70 concerts at least.  It takes a long time to rip to NAS, but it is fun to be able to sit back and choose a concert from your remote and then skip to another concert.   I haven't even watched but 40% of my collection so far. 

I have a bunch of Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Metallica, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Testament, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck and slew of heavier metal as well. 

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2016, 03:09 pm »
P.S.  I recently got the nVidia Shield.  It is really a killer piece of kit!  Its a lot more powerful than most Apple TV, Android TV, piTV or Linux type boxes.  It was spec'ed for gamers and thus has really good graphics.  Its super flexible and with SPMC (kodi branch) will do 4K video and full HD audio passthrough, so its moderately future proof.   It runs about $199 in the US, sometimes on sale for $170.   I am using it to stream my videos from my NAS and even use it to play my 6000+ CDs and Hi-rez to my home theater. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2016, 04:16 pm »
I started the thread because, while I've seen some talk of concert videos, I hadn't really seen much of a thread dedicated to such a topic. 
I started >> THIS one << a few years back. It didn't take off very well, but there's a few good recommendations.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2016, 01:35 am »
Ok, this isn't going to well.   I would have thought more audiophiles would get into concert dvds/brs.    Oh well, for those of us that do, I will add a couple of good ones (to me atleast).

At the Gates - The Flames of the End DVD 
(great concert, the documentary was a bit too long, was a reunion concert of sorts, around the time of At War with Reality absolutely dig the performance though!)
Jeff Buckley - Live in Chicago
(one of the first DVDs I ever got and still love this raw emotion he was able to convey with his voice)
The White Stripes - Under the Blackpool Lights   (amazing!  best way to see what Jack is all about before things became pretentious)

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2016, 02:33 am »
Purchased Rush- R40 Live Blu-ray today.

Listening to it now using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 48 khz 5.0 to 5.7 Mbps track. As far as audio goes I think this is the best I've ever heard, however I'm still analyzing whether its better than Clockwork Angels.  :smoke:

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:00 am »
The White Stripes - Under the Blackpool Lights   (amazing!  best way to see what Jack is all about before things became pretentious)

Saw them live a few times around that time frame so this one got me curious. Did a quick search and there is actually one version that showed up in youtube. Quality not the best (360p) but good enough to get a preview.
https://youtu.be/UDEJoFptxIs

Will probably buy this one to add to the collection. How's the audio quality on the disc?

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:25 am »
Purchased Rush- R40 Live Blu-ray today.

Listening to it now using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 48 khz 5.0 to 5.7 Mbps track. As far as audio goes I think this is the best I've ever heard, however I'm still analyzing whether its better than Clockwork Angels.  :smoke:

This concert has very good bass heavy resolution and IMO you need a system that can resolve the bass. I'm listening with my multi-channel pre in Neo:6 music mode. At the spl level I have it set at 12 o'clock on the dial my amp shut down 3 times from over-heating. Plus I have speakers that can handle the heavy bass. 8)

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2016, 09:46 am »
I'm surprised more folks haven't posted here..
I have been collecting concert videos for some time. Best way to see a concert. No crowds, better access, less wasted time between sets.
Not saying one should avoid concerts. Live is great.
Sometimes it is the only way to see some great artists.

I have some favs:
All of the crossroad guitar festivals
Several BB King
Muddy Waters
Eagles Farewell Tour
AC/DC at Donington
Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks
Rolling Stones
Dianna Krall Rio
Just to name a few.
Watching on a 120 inch screen with decent sound and a trio of subs works quite nicely.
I'm using an Oppo 103D for playback.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm »
Ok, this isn't going to well.   I would have thought more audiophiles would get into concert dvds/brs.
They don't like that nasty screen in the middle of the listening stage, that's why.  :wink:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:18 pm »
Don't have a lot of concert videos, but of the few I have favorites are:

Jeff Beck Live @ Ronnie Scott's - br
Santana Presents - Blues @ Montreux - the disc with Clarence Gatemouth Brown. Great performance roughly a year before he passed. -dvd
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Live @ the Quick- a must for jazz fans - dvd

& an extra - Cream Live @ Royal Albert Hall - dvd

Old Panasonic BR player ...

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:19 pm »
They don't like that nasty screen in the middle of the listening stage, that's why.  :wink:

That is why I use an acoustically transparent screen and my speakers are behind, eq'd for the screen loss (only the highest freqs really). 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:21 pm »
Now you're sounding like a videophile. That's beyond the scope of the average audiophile.  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:24 pm »
It was the easiest way to put a big screen in my modest sized room.  I like how even without a picture it keeps you from getting visually distracted from the speakers.  You can't see them. 

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2016, 05:03 pm »
Saw them live a few times around that time frame so this one got me curious. Did a quick search and there is actually one version that showed up in youtube. Quality not the best (360p) but good enough to get a preview.
https://youtu.be/UDEJoFptxIs

Will probably buy this one to add to the collection. How's the audio quality on the disc?

I think the audio is pretty decent.  It shows off the raw bluesiness well.