BDA-3 DAC

doveman

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2015, 05:05 am »
The first of the BDA-3 DAC’s getting ready to leave the building !!!

James

It's nice to see them finally going out, seems not long ago that the BDA-3 was just a concept.

Are any of the first boxes going to contain a lucky golden ticket giving the finder a tour of the Bryston factory?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2015, 01:22 pm »
It's nice to see them finally going out, seems not long ago that the BDA-3 was just a concept.

Are any of the first boxes going to contain a lucky golden ticket giving the finder a tour of the Bryston factory?

Neat idea ! :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:32 pm »

Got a BDA-3 in sounds great!!!

Thanks

Gary
Summit Sound

bjski

« Reply #43 on: 2 Dec 2015, 08:45 pm »
BDA-3 in the house. Now to hook it up.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 2 Dec 2015, 09:03 pm »
BDA-3 in the house. Now to hook it up.

Anxious to get your feedback.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 3 Dec 2015, 08:33 pm »
Hi Folks,

Feedback with permission:

Sent to: James Tanner on: Today at 03:18 pm

James,

My initial impression is that the BDA-3 has followed the normal progression of the 1,2 then 3. This is a new beast. This has the same traits as the other processors but takes the music to another level. The detail is so remarkable. Every sutltiy is heard along with Bryston's usual bass. I feel like I'm in a concert hall. This sounds so real. You cannot tell your listening to digital. The cymbals just shimmer.

Last night I was laughing to myself that the hype said it's sounds like the BDA-2. No this is another significant improvement. The BDA-3 is in another league.  Just like the new sound card in the BDP-2.

I wrote you so not to step on anyone's toes. Audio is to opinionated. I read some of the post and people cannot tell the difference between the soundcards in the BDP-2 and that's their propagative. It's the same when they drink the Kool Aid and claim there is no sonic difference between the BDA-2 and BDA-3.

You have another winner. Haven't tried the DSD. Serial # 000005...... James if you want to use any of the quotes be my guest. I figured I'd post more of a review in the future

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #46 on: 3 Dec 2015, 10:57 pm »
I'm excited AND confused. James Tanner (I believe) posted several times that there was no performance increase from the BDA-2 to the BDA-3. Yet this person is certain THEY heard a difference.

Is there now an improvement in the BDA-3 over the BDA-2 (as there was with the BDA-2 over the BDA-1)?

- Garrett

Hi Folks,

Feedback with permission:

Sent to: James Tanner on: Today at 03:18 pm

James,

My initial impression is that the BDA-3 has followed the normal progression of the 1,2 then 3. This is a new beast. This has the same traits as the other processors but takes the music to another level. The detail is so remarkable. Every sutltiy is heard along with Bryston's usual bass. I feel like I'm in a concert hall. This sounds so real. You cannot tell your listening to digital. The cymbals just shimmer.

Last night I was laughing to myself that the hype said it's sounds like the BDA-2. No this is another significant improvement. The BDA-3 is in another league.  Just like the new sound card in the BDP-2.

I wrote you so not to step on anyone's toes. Audio is to opinionated. I read some of the post and people cannot tell the difference between the soundcards in the BDP-2 and that's their propagative. It's the same when they drink the Kool Aid and claim there is no sonic difference between the BDA-2 and BDA-3.

You have another winner. Haven't tried the DSD. Serial # 000005...... James if you want to use any of the quotes be my guest. I figured I'd post more of a review in the future

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:24 pm »
HI

The analog section is the same but the digital section uses a completely different DAC.  Also with the finished version I am really impressed with how the USB sounds.

james

vklyushnikov

« Reply #48 on: 4 Dec 2015, 02:26 pm »
HI

The analog section is the same but the digital section uses a completely different DAC.  Also with the finished version I am really impressed with how the USB sounds.

james
Hi James,

Could you please provide more details about new USB implementation - especially in comparison with BDA-2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:19 pm »
Hi James,

Could you please provide more details about new USB implementation - especially in comparison with BDA-2?

Hi

I really have not had time to discuss in detail with the designer but as I have been playing around with DSD files (uses USB circuit) I was surprised at how close USB  sounded when playing PCM files compared to the AES  in the BDA3 whereas before I always felt I preferred AES over USB in the BDA-2.

james

Tympani

« Reply #50 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:30 pm »
Hi James,

Would you care to share which USB cables you have tried and whether you've noted a difference/preference.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:39 pm »
Hi James,

Would you care to share which USB cables you have tried and whether you've noted a difference/preference.

Thanks

Hi

Mostly just generic cables - nothing exotic at this point.

james

mca

« Reply #52 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:46 pm »
So if I have read right, I can hook the BDA-3 to say an Oppo BDP-103 via HDMI to play SACD and DSD files?

vklyushnikov

« Reply #53 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:49 pm »
Hi

I really have not had time to discuss in detail with the designer but as I have been playing around with DSD files (uses USB circuit) I was surprised at how close USB  sounded when playing PCM files compared to the AES  in the BDA3 whereas before I always felt I preferred AES over USB in the BDA-2.

james
James, thank you very much for reply. I also always prefer AES with BDA-2 so I'm interesting how USB is improved in BDA-3. Hope you will find time for posting technical details.

audio.bill

« Reply #54 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:23 pm »

james
James - When playing DSD files via USB, does the BDA-3 require the data to be formatted as DoP (DSD over PCM) or the actual DSD bitstream? TIA!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:42 pm »
So if I have read right, I can hook the BDA-3 to say an Oppo BDP-103 via HDMI to play SACD and DSD files?

Hi MCA

Yes correct - SACD is DSD 64.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:46 pm »
James - When playing DSD files via USB, does the BDA-3 require the data to be formatted as DoP (DSD over PCM) or the actual DSD bitstream? TIA!

Hi

Depending on what the player is putting out Native or DOP the BDA3 will play it back accordingly.

james

Ansum

« Reply #57 on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:49 pm »
HI

james

Good to see positive feedback on the BDA-3. However having just placed an order for the BDA-2 a few weeks ago based on previous comments regarding the performance of the BDA-2 & BDA-3 being at par I cant help feeling a bit dissapointed about my decision. I probably should have waited to see comparisons of the production BDA-3 with the BDA-2.

audio.bill

« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:59 pm »
Hi

Depending on what the player is putting out Native or DOP the BDA3 will play it back accordingly.

james
That's very interesting. Most DSD DACs require either DoP or the native DSD bitstream, it's very rare in my experience to have a DAC that supports both!  :thumb:

scirica

« Reply #59 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:58 am »
Hi

james

That's awesome. Taking trade-ins on PS Audio DS DAC's??  ROFL!