Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #680 on: 17 Feb 2014, 01:19 am »

----

Even with the Dennis Murphy modded BS22 AAL Monitors - he rates
them down to 60 hz.

----

Speaking of Dennis's mods, what's happening with all the tweeters from the stock BS22s? I've got three now. I'll bet Dennis has a bunch.

jackman

« Reply #681 on: 18 Feb 2014, 02:52 am »
This may not be exactly apples to apples, but Stereophile found the SP-BS41 LR to be -6 db at 60 Hz, the port tuning frequency. Sound and Vision magazine shows -6 db @ 59 Hz for the SP-BS22 LR.

How they actually compare when auditioning both may be another matter, I haven't heard the 41s. But driver size is only one of several factors when it comes to low frequency output. I can recall some 70s era Pioneer and Sansui 12" 3-ways that had pretty unimpressive low end. 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

I own both and it's not even close, the older model has a larger woofer, a bigger cabinet and plays much deeper bass. I wish they still made it because I like the woofer better in the old model and the larger cabinet.  I wish Dennis had a mod for the older one, because I bet the final speaker would be superior but it doesn't make sense to modify a discontinued model.  Unmodded, I like the older speaker better for casual listening.  I've abused mine and they don't seem to mind.

Cheers

Jack

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #682 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:43 am »
This may not be exactly apples to apples, but Stereophile found the SP-BS41 LR to be -6 db at 60 Hz, the port tuning frequency. Sound and Vision magazine shows -6 db @ 59 Hz for the SP-BS22 LR.

They obviously use very different measurement techniques, making this an "apples & oranges" sort of comparison.  Here's Sound & Vision's review of the SP-BS41-LR, where they measured a -6 db @ 52 Hz (7 Hz lower than they measured for the BS22):

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #683 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:46 am »
I own both and it's not even close, the older model has a larger woofer, a bigger cabinet and plays much deeper bass. I wish they still made it because I like the woofer better in the old model and the larger cabinet. 

I believe Pioneer does still make the SP-BS41-LR.  I own a pair made in summer of 2013, and they're still readily available from Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #684 on: 18 Feb 2014, 04:39 am »
Speaking of Dennis's mods, what's happening with all the tweeters from the stock BS22s? I've got three now. I'll bet Dennis has a bunch.

Well, if he gets enough tweeters - maybe he can build a line array.:)

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #685 on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:31 am »
Well, if he gets enough tweeters - maybe he can build a line array.:)

I'm betting he's got enough for several already!

jackman

« Reply #686 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:46 pm »
I believe Pioneer does still make the SP-BS41-LR.  I own a pair made in summer of 2013, and they're still readily available from Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406

Yep, I have the 41's and they are great for casual listening.  The little woofers are very powerful and I bet a Murphy modded pair would be superior to the 22's.  The woofer is better than the 22, IMO.  It handles way more power and goes much deeper.  Fun little speaker that I picked up for $50/pair delivered on sale.  Unmodded, they are good enough for casual listening in my workout room. 

MaxCast

« Reply #687 on: 25 Feb 2014, 04:46 pm »
Cleaned.  Sorry if I split a few legit posts.  Please ask your questions again.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #688 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm »
Thanks for all your help on a very valuable thread.

srb

« Reply #690 on: 18 Mar 2014, 08:59 pm »
The 21s are currently on sale at newegg for $52 shipped.

And for those that want to use the SP-B21-LRs for HT, the SP-C21 center channel is on sale at Fry's Online for $50 shipped through 3/20.

http://www.frys.com/product/7285763

You can have a 5.0 system for $154 while waiting to turn it into a 5.1 system when a super sale on a subwoofer comes around (like Newegg's previous sale of the Pioneer SW-8-K for $70)!  :)

Steve

macnoob

« Reply #691 on: 18 Mar 2014, 11:58 pm »
You guys just cost me $50. Fry's has a SP-C21 on the way for me.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2014, 01:14 am by macnoob »

dvzzz

« Reply #692 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:56 pm »
Folks, do you know how to get in touch with Dennis to purchase a pair from him. I am finishing my room and BL-22s modded by Dennis would be fantastic for my budget. I have tried to reach him via Philarmonic Audio site and email on that site but did not hear back for a couple of days. I suspect he is quite busy but I would like to get the order placed if I can. Anyone knows if Dennis is on this forum and way to reach him?

Sparky14

« Reply #693 on: 19 Mar 2014, 07:54 pm »
Folks, do you know how to get in touch with Dennis to purchase a pair from him. I am finishing my room and BL-22s modded by Dennis would be fantastic for my budget. I have tried to reach him via Philarmonic Audio site and email on that site but did not hear back for a couple of days. I suspect he is quite busy but I would like to get the order placed if I can. Anyone knows if Dennis is on this forum and way to reach him?

I always get an e-mail back from him by the next day, usually sooner.

Interesting, I see his is out of the monitors yet again, but the modded Towers are coming next.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #694 on: 19 Mar 2014, 08:29 pm »
I have been listening to a set of Pioneer 52 towers that Dennis completely reworked and sent back to me a couple of weeks ago.

With new tweeters and a complete new crossover, they are vastly better then the originals and are a very respectable and listenable set of low cost mini tower speakers now.

The are good enough to just enjoy the music and forget about the speakers.  The stock 52s were unlistenably harsh and rough.

Frank Van Alstine

dvzzz

« Reply #695 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm »

Interesting, I see his is out of the monitors yet again, but the modded Towers are coming next.
Does it mean Dennis will not do monitors again or unknown?

Towers are too big for my need, I just wish I can order the monitors, they are perfect for my setup.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #697 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:22 am »

According to his website, they are available
http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #698 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:26 am »

He may be out of town.

dvzzz

« Reply #699 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:50 am »
According to his website, they are available
http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html
The home page says monitors are out of stock and will be replaced with FS52 but I also saw this page. I am hoping I can still get a pair of Affordable Monitors from Dennis. We will see if I hear back from him in the next couple of days.