Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #780 on: 22 May 2014, 07:57 pm »
Well, I couldn't get much of a comfort level from my supplier that the towers will actually ship on the 27th, so I'm going to resume sales of the monitors.  I'll get them in on Monday.  I'm going to raise the price a little to get me up closer to half of the minimum wage.  So the new price will be $165/pr. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #781 on: 7 Jun 2014, 02:05 pm »
My supplier finally came through with the stock towers, albeit with unexpected and inexplicable shipping charges.  They should arrive Monday.  I'll hold the price at the promised $275/pr, at least for this shipment. 

srb

« Reply #783 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:12 pm »
$65/pr shipped is the lowest price ever offered on the BS22 (Fry's is also offering them at $65 in-store only).  Amazon also has the FS52 floorstanders for $130/pair shipped.

Steve

Wind Chaser

« Reply #784 on: 8 Jun 2014, 05:50 am »
With delivery, I paid $190 CAD for mine in stock form and I have no regrets. They are surprisingly balanced, open and have better than expected bass.

tubesguy2

« Reply #785 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:49 pm »
My Dennis Murphy modified speakers arrived today, and a brief listening session confirms that the modded speakers are very impressive, especially considering their price.  To the extent that I recall the stock speakers, these are very much better in their ability to disappear, leaving only the recorded soundstage in front of you, and are clean, with no obvious peaks coming from the tweeter.  Very nice, Dennis!  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #786 on: 25 Jun 2014, 12:16 am »
My buddy Rex saw the post of Roger Modjeski and decided to try two pairs of the 22's as a line source. Roger even recommends four pair. Rex has a pair of stock ones and a pair of dmurphy's modified ones. Rex now says he his getting a more bass, bigger soundstage, and more body. Rex has one pair upside down so the tweeters are close together.

I guess I want to try that now. Holler if anyone sees that heck of a deal on the 22's. I just might buy three more pair.

Doublej

« Reply #787 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:01 am »
Some new Andrew Jones Pioneers are supposed to be announced tomorrow but I think these may be in the Pioneer Elite line. Coaxials drivers to boot if my sleuthing turns out to be accurate.

On a related note did you see the announcement that Pioneer CE was sold to Onkyo and an equity firm.

OzarkTom

« Reply #788 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:52 am »
Some new Andrew Jones Pioneers are supposed to be announced tomorrow but I think these may be in the Pioneer Elite line. Coaxials drivers to boot if my sleuthing turns out to be accurate.

On a related note did you see the announcement that Pioneer CE was sold to Onkyo and an equity firm.

I just looked that up. A Hong Kong equity firm gets 51% of the ownership. :duh:

wushuliu

« Reply #789 on: 25 Jun 2014, 02:36 am »
I just looked that up. A Hong Kong equity firm gets 51% of the ownership. :duh:

Welcome to the future. China alone is set to to eclipse the U.S. as the largest market for theatrical movies. The middle class there is getting huger and huger along with the million and billionaires. They are buying/investing in all things audio/video related right now.

Markvdv

« Reply #790 on: 25 Jun 2014, 08:04 am »
They buy other things too:)

Markvdv

« Reply #791 on: 25 Jun 2014, 12:06 pm »
Equity firm is Barings, as in Nick Leeson's Barings, not all they do turns a profit :D
Onkyo is the nice part, somehow the struggling little company that made fine hifi moved quicker then more succesfull competitors some years ago. Now others are struggling. Sony was also advised to quit.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #792 on: 26 Jun 2014, 08:24 pm »

Details on the new Andrew Jones designed Pioneer Elite Atmos speakers have been posted on the Pioneer web site here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Elite+Speakers

Pricing posted in this article on CNET:

http://www.cnet.com/news/pioneer-debuts-atmos-friendly-speakers-and-receivers-full-system-starts-at-4750/

SP-EBS73-LR bookshelf speakers ($750 per pair)
SP-EFS73 floorstanding speakers ($700 each)
SP-EC73 center channel ($400)
SW-E10 subwoofer ($600)

Not exactly cheap and cheerful.  The top firing drivers are for Dolby Atmos compatibility, which seems to make them better for high end home theater systems, rather than serious audio listening.  So, I'll be sticking with my modified SP-BS22-LR mains and thrift store subwoofer for my 2.1 listening pleasure.

cravnsn

« Reply #793 on: 3 Jul 2014, 10:15 am »
Greetings all

I too have jumped in on these great speakers (I have them flanking my display doing duty for center channel) and I’m wondering if anyone has considered using the Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter from PE. Would it need the cap mod as well?

Craig

putterman

« Reply #794 on: 3 Jul 2014, 02:02 pm »
While I would consider Atmos  to be a gimmick with minimal home theater benefit like the height speakers although no personal experience with them, I like the idea of top facing speakers to increase the 'airiness' of the speaker and it's likely that AJ has created an upgraded version of his bargain basement speaker system while bringing the TAD technology to a lower price range.

Wait a minute now......wasn't that the device in Dr. Who that first converted car exhaust gases to oxygen and then emitted toxic gas that gave the Earth a poisonous atmosphere for alien invaders, IMO not a great name for a new home theater technology. :roll:

Flyin_V

« Reply #795 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:28 am »
I guess I want to try that now. Holler if anyone sees that heck of a deal on the 22's. I just might buy three more pair.

I'm with you OzarkTom, I'd love to see the 22s @ $65 again. I'd grab 4 pairs in a second and build an OTL to drive the friendly 24 ohm load. They seem to be @ $125 everywhere these days.  :(

Have you heard your friend's DMurphy modded 22s?

Good listening,

Lary

OzarkTom

« Reply #796 on: 20 Jul 2014, 07:09 am »
I'm with you OzarkTom, I'd love to see the 22s @ $65 again. I'd grab 4 pairs in a second and build an OTL to drive the friendly 24 ohm load. They seem to be @ $125 everywhere these days.  :(

Have you heard your friend's DMurphy modded 22s?

Good listening,

Lary

I will go listen to them next month. My friend is moving back to Hawaii soon, so I have to go hear them.

srb

« Reply #797 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:06 pm »
I'd love to see the 22s @ $65 again. I'd grab 4 pairs in a second and build an OTL to drive the friendly 24 ohm load. They seem to be @ $125 everywhere these days.  :(

Who knows if they'll be on sale for $65 again like they were very briefly for a Father's Day sale ..... but Newegg put them on sale today for $80 shipped.  Like many of these sales they could be back up to $130 tomorrow*.  Best Buy may also do a price match.

* Edit: Yep, back up to $130 today, so it was a one day sale.

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2014, 12:51 am by srb »

soundbitten1

« Reply #798 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:44 am »
  Best Buy may also do a price match.

They should, I got a Pioneer sub from them that way.

srb

« Reply #799 on: 3 Aug 2014, 05:35 pm »
The BS22's are on sale again today at Newegg for $80 shipped while all the other usual suspect vendors have them at the normal ~ $130 price.  As in my post on July 20th (two posts above) it could likely be another Newegg one-day sale and back up to normal price tomorrow.

(And of course the always possible Best Buy price match)

Steve