The latest FM tuner reviews are up

*Scotty*

Re: The latest FM tuner reviews are up
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2008, 10:35 pm »
I went through and replaced every single resistor with 1% metal films and all caps are tin and styrene or polypropylene foil and films. I also changed out the wiring from the FM demodulator
circuit to the output tubes. The Fisher Doc gave me the help I needed to change the de-emphasis curve to the modern broadcast standard of 75usec.
If the tuners are old enough they will sound kind of dead in the highs and the bass won't sound very good because they have the wrong de-emphasis curve.
Scotty

brj

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2008, 11:49 pm »
Guys, please keep the thread friendly, useful and on topic.  Differing opinions are welcome in this circle - provided that they are expressed respectfully by all parties.  Everyone's preferences are their own, and what works for you may not work for others.  Certainly, nobody wins when the argument turns personal, and I would really prefer not to have to come back and prune the thread.

Thank you.

Co-facilitator of the Critic's Circle

jkelly

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2008, 12:55 am »
Doug,

I have a Kenwood L-07TII tuner that I purchased in the early 80's and it
has been in a box for 20 years.  Is this tuner worth restoring or aligning?
It should be in mint condition.

Jeff

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:14 am »
Jeff - Send that tuner to Ken Bernacky at Stereo Surgeons in E. Hartford,CT. I just had him go through my KT 917 a few months ago. It cost me a few hundred bucks including shipping but the results were well worth it.
I'm sure it will work like new for the rest of my life - or until FM is legislated out of existence.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:42 am »
Guys, please keep the thread friendly, useful and on topic.  Differing opinions are welcome in this circle - provided that they are expressed respectfully by all parties.  Everyone's preferences are their own, and what works for you may not work for others.  Certainly, nobody wins when the argument turns personal, and I would really prefer not to have to come back and prune the thread.

Thank you.

thank you - i agree wholeheartedly - that is exactly the point i was trying to make.   :green:  i tried to get our new scandinavian member to see that, but he yust didn't seem to get it...   :roll:

best,

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:56 am »
Doug,

I have a Kenwood L-07TII tuner that I purchased in the early 80's and it
has been in a box for 20 years.  Is this tuner worth restoring or aligning?
It should be in mint condition.

Jeff
i never owned a stock one, but i owned one that was modded by its p.o, and it was outstanding - excellent sonics and reception.  (yes, imo, it was better than my tandberg 3001a's)  absolutely, it is worth restoring/aligning/modding.  i suspect it will sound pretty good, or better as-is, if you yust take it out & plug it in...  oh yes, you need to hook up a decent antenna to it, & then connect it to your preamp w/ic's!   :lol:

i have also heard good things about ken bernacky, but i have never used him.  (tho two or three folks told me they had a hard time getting him to send stuff back, that they'd sent him - definitely in the minority, tho.  and, i suspect it was when he was subcontracted to aps, & doing their work; he may have been swamped.  never, btw, send anything to aps - the owner subs his work out, why pay a middleman?  and he will tear you a new one if you ask him any questions - he's got a screw loose somewhere...  he has great antennas, tho.  also, awoid don scott - he doesn't know how to service tunas, he's yust a parts swapper.  there's as good a chance he will ruin your tuna, or it will sound  worse when he's done, as not...)  other techs i strongly recommend are joseph chow of audio horizons/component plus usa, and mike williams of radio-x tuners.  stephen sank of talking dog transducers is also excellent, but he took a long time to get me back a mcintosh mr65b he did up for me.  no problem at all w/the hk citaion 18, tho...

http://www.componentplususa.com/pages/upgrades.html
http://radioxtuners.com/
http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

then, there's excellent techs who are hobbyists & do killer jobs on the side.  but, cuz it's not their biz, their wait-lists might be even longer than the pros - bill ammons & bob fitzgerald.  these guys can be found over at fmtunerinfo.com, & the yahoo tuna forum

http://fmtunerinfo.com/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

there's also other techs listed on the fmtuna site, but i don't have first-hand experience.

doug s.,
analog fm will definitely outlive me, but i am awreddy past 50!   :lol:

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #26 on: 9 Oct 2008, 11:40 am »

Thank you.

thank you - i agree wholeheartedly - that is exactly the point i was trying to make.   :green:  i tried to get our new scandinavian member to see that, but he yust didn't seem to get it...   :roll:

best,

doug s.

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:51 am by niklasthedolphin »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2008, 06:29 pm »
...I just had to say that your longshot about the sonical quality of the Tandberg TPT 3001A is very far away from what people who realy heard this unit on adequate equipment state....
i agree, but you forgot one word - it is very far away from what SOME people who really heard this unit on adequate equipment state....

don't get me wrong - i also think the tandberg tpt3001a a fine sounding tuna.  it's yust that i have heard others i think are a bit better.  and yes, i believe that among all the better tunas, there really is a small difference between a lot of them.  my experience w/tandberg tunas, and the experience of many others, is that they are maintenance intensive.  and, they are expensive.  got the money?  sure, enjoy.  i and many others think you can get better sound and more reliable function for the same money or less.

I think one of the reasons you have trouble hearing the quality of the 3001A is here, quote:
"i use separate isolation transformers on each piece of digital gear, & everything is run thru balanced power conditioners."

not sure why you think this would be a problem - my use of isolation transformers and balanced power has lowered the noise floor considerably, allowing me to hear further into the music...

I think one of the So if any people read this thread and want to use what's written here as a guideline, my advice is: Don't drop any options and don't buy any tuners without using your own ears and judge the Tandberg TPT 3001A, the Magnum Dynalab MD-109 and the Day Sequerra Studio One up against the rest and make your own mind up on that behalf.
i agree - this is excellent adwice - use your ears, and take your own decisions based upon your own experience.  don't take dolph's, or my, or anyone's adwice as gospel, yust use adwice as a guide to make your own choices.

regarding being civil, it's fine w/me that i wasn't successful making my point, as long as someone else was successful, and that you finally got it.   8)  those who know me here, know i am not normally insulting, but i will rise to the bait when others start insults...

regards,

doug s.

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2008, 06:53 pm »

not sure why you think this would be a problem - my use of isolation transformers and balanced power has lowered the noise floor considerably, allowing me to hear further into the music...

regards,

doug s.

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:50 am by niklasthedolphin »

maxwalrath

« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2008, 06:59 pm »

Now this IS realy a problem.

You know, if you are clarified on the subject, that grounding the noisefloor below natures own level, as they do on some digital publications, compromises other, and to me very important, parameters like e.g. microdynamics, perspectives, articulation and other stuff that both you and I know that science don't realy have a definition, nor measurements for.

Just like putting duvet cover over the speakers, sitting behind them, listening to mono recordings from 64 kb/s MP2 files with Bad Brains bootleg the worst.

"dolph"

Wow, the market might be flooded with lots of well reviewed power conditioners soon if this is true!  As a student who wishes he could afford to try one out, this might give me the opportunity to get one on the cheap!  Thanks for spreading the word, and please email 6moons and enjoythemusic, and all the other reviewing sites I've read to let them know that they are wrong about the benefits they found after careful A/B listening tests :thumb:

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #30 on: 9 Oct 2008, 07:10 pm »

You know, if you are clarified on the subject, that grounding the noisefloor below natures own level, as they do on some digital publications, compromises other, and to me very important, parameters like e.g. microdynamics, perspectives, articulation and other stuff that both you and I know that science don't realy have a definition, nor measurements for.

Just like putting duvet cover over the speakers, sitting behind them, listening to mono recordings from 64 kb/s MP2 files with Bad Brains bootleg the worst.

"dolph"

Wow, the market might be flooded with lots of well reviewed power conditioners soon if this is true!  As a student who wishes he could afford to try one out, this might give me the opportunity to get one on the cheap!  Thanks for spreading the word, and please email 6moons and enjoythemusic, and all the other reviewing sites I've read to let them know that they are wrong about the benefits they found after careful A/B listening tests :thumb:

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:49 am by niklasthedolphin »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 9 Oct 2008, 09:04 pm »

regards,

doug s.

"dolph"

sorry, my experience, & that of many many others, is opposite yours - all the parameters you mention - microdynamics, perspectives, articulation and other stuff all get better. 

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:09 am »

"dolph"

max, balanced power conditioners are spendy, even used, but you can try isolation transformers; they go cheap on ebay.  i would recommend a separate one for dac & cd transport at a minimum.  then another one for preamp.  sometimes even the mondo ones, like 15kva, go for relatively cheap - but they weigh a lot, shipping can really be spendy...  you don't wanna use small ones on amps, they will restrict dynamics...

doug s.

Heltny

« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2008, 09:11 pm »

"dolph"

max, balanced power conditioners are spendy, even used, but you can try isolation transformers; they go cheap on ebay.  i would recommend a separate one for dac & cd transport at a minimum.  then another one for preamp.  sometimes even the mondo ones, like 15kva, go for relatively cheap - but they weigh a lot, shipping can really be spendy...  you don't wanna use small ones on amps, they will restrict dynamics...

doug s.

Hey Doug S

Have to tell you.

Dolph is a "man" like this.....: EVERY THING he owns is the best - He knows best - no one knows anything, but him.

With all these things he "seems" to know about, he should be 300 years old  :icon_lol:

When it comes to reality, he dont know S..T and just talks.

He says he owns this and that... but  :scratch: :scratch:

AAAAAAAAND, he is thrown out of ALL DANISH forum, for lifetime (Thank god)  aa aa aa aa

If i where you, i would jump over him, ignore him and let him be in his own little iknowallworld  :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:........ otherwise you will HAVE to used TIME on him, cause his not stopping until HE gets right.

Just my 5 C to you  :thumb:

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2008, 10:52 pm »
Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:48 am by niklasthedolphin »

Heltny

« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2008, 11:50 pm »
And the same MANY words from a lair, as you are  :duh: :duh: :duh:

But iam there now - LEGAL  aa aa aa aa At both sites.

Its easy to be there for me, and for 30-40 others, when you are TROWN out - for life  :green: :thumb: :green: :thumb:

My many many usernames can i thank you for - Now that you are gone gone gone  :thumb: and have to use eg this site to your "stories", i only have to have ONE username --- No sorry two --- one to each site  :green: :green: :green: :green:

But you are not forgotten - at the IM we are talking A LOT about you and your "stories"  :green: :green: :green:
THATS funny  :green: :green: :green: :green:

But DOLPH - Keep on going at you way - its just a matter of time before people - here too - will found out that you are - hmm (( censorship ))  :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green:

DOLPH - Have a nice nice nice day  :green: :green: :green: :green:

And now its time to go back to the danish siteS

P.S. Do you still have a bad throat - Like the day you called me and played a person who would have a mating and would hear about my dog ?  :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

45 years old and making phoney calls   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Dolph - have you fotgot that you are living about 30 miles from me  :green: :green: :green:
And I AM NOT a lazy Pensioners  :lol: :lol:

It was everything from me - I would just warn users here against you  :rock:

No more from me - Out off this site - I have done what ALL should do if they know a user like you  :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2008, 12:14 am »
Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:48 am by niklasthedolphin »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2008, 12:53 am »
hey heltny, sorry to hear about your problems w/dolph.  me?  i got no problems.  i yust trust my ears.  anyone can say whatever they like.  doesn't change what i hear.   8)

regards,

doug s.

Wolfman

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:11 am »
You know,this thread isn't really contentious enough.
Can somebody email Peter Thomsen and see if he'd like to join in?

Dougs-Myself and many others appreciate your tuner opinions and info very much,keep 'em coming.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:53 am »
You know,this thread isn't really contentious enough.
Can somebody email Peter Thomsen and see if he'd like to join in?

Dougs-Myself and many others appreciate your tuner opinions and info very much,keep 'em coming.
peter thomsen?  does he make an ice tuna?   :lol:

for good tuna fun, check out these sites:

http://fmtunerinfo.com/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

doug s.