Empirical Audio modded PT P-3A review

Marbles

« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2005, 05:36 pm »
Nothing like digging up a year old thread, but.....

I received a P1a yesterday and hooked it to my EA modded P3a with a I2s Revalation Audio Labs "Prophecy" cable

I had Greg Marberry walk me through the correct settings to use the I2s direct mode on the P3a.  I tried various configurations, but the one I like best is 24/96.

In the short time I've played with this, it is clear there is more air around the notes and a wider deeper soundstage.

The P1a has no mods.

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2005, 07:03 pm »
Rob - I have good news for you and the other Turbomodded P-3A owners:

Just prior to THE Show in Las Vegas, I completed the mods on the Benchmark DAC, which required several iterations.  From the learnings on the Benchmark, I went back to the P-3A and made some similar improvements to it:
1) Output resistors - Caddock
2) replace most of the regulators
3) Add more HF decoupling to op-amps and DAC chip

The effect of these changes is no less than amazing.  It definitely raises the bar for this DAC.  Puts it on another level entirely.  The improvements are:

1) better dynamics
2) even less sibilance
3) clarity that I have never heard before in ANY DAC

I have not decided a final pricing on this upgrade mod, but it will be in the $200 range.  I'm also a bit backed-up right now, but I will let everyone know on my forum adn the manufacturers forum when I have the time to do all of the upgrades.

Steve N.

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2005, 07:17 pm »
Put me on the list please...