My TADAC Review

ajzepp

My TADAC Review
« on: 26 May 2008, 03:14 am »
Hi all...

I just wrote a review of my new TADAC and thought it might be helpful to anyone in the market for a new DAC.

Link

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: My TADAC Review
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 06:10 am »
Does your unit have the tubyness knob and if so how is it working in your configuration?

You know, someone told me maybe 3 years ago to try the Devore speakers but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.  They are on my list to audition though.  Seems to be a wonderfully musical speaker.  The TADAC fits that bill and the Mapletree unit is also a delight.  All seems to add up to a most enjoyable system, looks like you've hit upon a nice combination.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 08:47 am »
Interesting.......thanks. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 11:38 am »
Does your unit have the tubyness knob and if so how is it working in your configuration?

You know, someone told me maybe 3 years ago to try the Devore speakers but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.  They are on my list to audition though.  Seems to be a wonderfully musical speaker.  The TADAC fits that bill and the Mapletree unit is also a delight.  All seems to add up to a most enjoyable system, looks like you've hit upon a nice combination.

Thanks, Launche :)

Yes, the tubyness knob and volume control come standard on the TADAC for 2008. I haven't played around with it much, to be honest. I set it at about half way and left it. I'll probably try out different settings this week, so I'll be happy to post back with some impressions.

The DeVores are right up my alley...I don't know what John DeVore did that allowed them to stand out to me vs the other speakers I auditioned a couple years ago, but for my tastes, they were an ideal match. I know John (and other DeVore owners) love pairing them with tube gear, which is why I decided to start playing around with it myself. I can't afford the Shindo stuff that a lot of them use, but the stuff I've chosen sure seems to do a nice job  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008, 11:40 am »
Interesting.......thanks. :thumb:

My pleasure :)  I forgot to mention in the review that it actually sells for $899 now, not $699. Someone had already listed the TADAC in the review section, so I couldn't change the retail price section.

I see you are a fellow Butler Audio fan...nice amps :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2008, 12:25 pm »
If used as DAC only, where do you set the volume control?  Full on?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2008, 04:05 pm »
If used as DAC only, where do you set the volume control?  Full on?

I talked to Paul about that, cause my concern was having two volume controls in the same line. He said he understood my concern and replied with this: "The volume control is nested between gain stages in a fixed environment. No audible pot side effects are encountered in this type of circuitry design."  When I asked him about where to set the volume on the TADAC when used with another preamp, he said, "Set to a position that makes a volume level to match your other sources."  I basically just went ahead and set it at 12:00, and I have the tubyness knob (which Paul said, "The Tubyness knob is like a 2nd order harmonic control") set at about 11:00. I haven't messed around with it as a preamp, and probably won't, but I like having it there in case I ever need to send in my Mapletree for maintenance or whatever.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2008, 04:12 pm »
I also have a TADAC and can vouch for ajzepp's high opinion of it.  You should let your ears be the guide for setting the tubyness control.  I generally prefer tubyness set high (depending on the source material) because turning it back towards the untuby side progressively "dries out" the sound and depletes the value of having the tube stage.  I set the volume midway because it matches the level of the Denon 2910's own output.  It makes switching between SACD and CD easy on the nerves!  The SACD output goes direct from the Denon to the preamp because the TADAC doesn't handle SACD.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2008, 04:42 pm »
I also have a TADAC and can vouch for ajzepp's high opinion of it.  You should let your ears be the guide for setting the tubyness control.  I generally prefer tubyness set high (depending on the source material) because turning it back towards the untuby side progressively "dries out" the sound and depletes the value of having the tube stage.  I set the volume midway because it matches the level of the Denon 2910's own output.  It makes switching between SACD and CD easy on the nerves!  The SACD output goes direct from the Denon to the preamp because the TADAC doesn't handle SACD.

Hey Scott :)

It's funny, cause there was a guy on AVS who was wanting to know what I thought about the TADAC the day I received it, cause he was the one who sort of put me over the edge to where I pulled the trigger. I sent him a PM that said something like, "I really want to post about this thing right now, cause it's THAT good even out of the box, but I'm always skeptical when someone gets a new piece of gear and all of a sudden it's the greatest thing since sliced bread". It was hard not to be excited, though, cause this was the least expensive of the units I was considering, and I was able to note an improvement immediately. It's easy to be excited about new gear, but I don't want to be that guy who goes apeshit every time he makes a change to his system, you know? It took me over a year of auditioning to find a pair of speakers that were perfect for me and that I could get excited about, but I've been lucky with regard to my preamp and DAC choices.

But anyway, the point is that I'm glad you chimed in, cause even though there are some very positive consumer reviews online, I don't think this unit gets as much love as perhaps it should. It's definitely the sort of purchase you can feel good about  :thumb:

launche

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2008, 04:48 pm »
I am using the TADAC as one of my sources and also have been using it as a preamp with little to no complaint.  I chose to do this to simplify things, I haven't used my modwright preamp in months and it's a very good preamp with a nice modern tube sound.  Not to say it doesn't add to the sound, just that I don't crave those additions, yes things get better but I asked myself if I could live without a preamp unless of the very hiighest order or something with an undeniable seductive flair and the answer at the time was yes. I'll have to reinsert things and see if I still feel this way now.

The TADAC is very worthy of audition for a tube DAC under 2K and maybe beyond.  The inclusion of the volume control and Tubyness features are icing on the cake.

Like Paul, I run my tubyness knob at the max setting.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2008, 05:03 pm »
I am using the TADAC as one of my sources and also have been using it as a preamp with little to no complaint.  I chose to do this to simplify things, I haven't used my modwright preamp in months and it's a very good preamp with a nice modern tube sound.  Not to say it doesn't add to the sound, just that I don't crave those additions, yes things get better but I asked myself if I could live without a preamp unless of the very hiighest order or something with an undeniable seductive flair and the answer at the time was yes. I'll have to reinsert things and see if I still feel this way now.

The TADAC is very worthy of audition for a tube DAC under 2K and maybe beyond.  The inclusion of the volume control and Tubyness features are icing on the cake.

Like Paul, I run my tubyness knob at the max setting.

What kind of music do you listen to mostly? I think what I love most about the TADAC so far is the way that acoustic strings are rendered. I'm typically a sucker for great vocals, and that's still what I focus on mostly, but WOW, some of this guitar music I have (e.g. Jack Johnson, Tommy Emmanuel) is blowing my mind. It's almost like the guitar is the one doing the signing now, you know?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2008, 05:30 pm »
I may try one of these to see how it compares to my Cullen Circuits PS Audio DLIII DAC.  With a money back guarantee and only $45 restocking it sounds worth it to try.  I like the fact it has balanced outs.

launche

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2008, 05:34 pm »
Zepp,

I listen to all kinds of music, Jack Johnson included (although his latest at the first few listens just put me to sleep.)  I've been listening to alot of Flamenco ( Morente, Vincente Amigo etc...) lately, just stellar stuff. The TADAC does well with acoustic music (a good tube design should it seem do this well by default.)

A most wonderful combination is the TADAC and the Omega Hemp speakers, the Omega's have a wonderful tone, heightened by tubes  :drool:

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2008, 06:26 pm »
Zepp,

I listen to all kinds of music, Jack Johnson included (although his latest at the first few listens just put me to sleep.)  I've been listening to alot of Flamenco ( Morente, Vincente Amigo etc...) lately, just stellar stuff. The TADAC does well with acoustic music (a good tube design should it seem do this well by default.)

A most wonderful combination is the TADAC and the Omega Hemp speakers, the Omega's have a wonderful tone, heightened by tubes  :drool:

That rocks  :D   I'm trying to refine my taste in music, so it's always cool to hear what you guys are listening to. I love checking out the music circle, cause everyone is always discussing stuff I've never heard of, and it helps me get some ideas as to what I should give a listen to.

And I know what you mean about tubes....in my limited experience, so far I can't imaging going back to SS gear. I really like the extra body and warmth that I'm hearing with my music now. No listener fatigue, nice rich, lifelike vocals and instrumentation...good times!

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2008, 06:27 pm »
I may try one of these to see how it compares to my Cullen Circuits PS Audio DLIII DAC.  With a money back guarantee and only $45 restocking it sounds worth it to try.  I like the fact it has balanced outs.

Let us know if you give it a go...I always enjoy hearing about when people compare gear

launche

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2008, 07:59 pm »
Zepp,

I just checked my rotation and these are what I'm listening to most at the moment.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2008, 08:19 pm »
Question....for the TADAC owners...

What other DAC's have you owned or compared the TADAC too ? Thanks.... :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2008, 08:22 pm »
Launche: Aside from the Tori Amos disc, I have never heard of any of that...I'm going to check it out, though, thanks!

Lonewolf: First outboard DAC for me :)

launche

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2008, 08:46 pm »
Launche: Aside from the Tori Amos disc, I have never heard of any of that...I'm going to check it out, though, thanks!

Lonewolf: First outboard DAC for me :)

Well Morente for more than 30 yrs has been one of the best flamenco artists, with a focus on vocals.  Stellar.

Amigo is carrying the torch and incorporates some modern influences into his flamenco style but still rooted in tradition.

Cigala is awesome as well, like a blend between Amigo and Morente, riveting vocals and torching guitar work.

Blanchard is one of the premiere jazz musicians on the scene today, a broad and explorative career for todays jazz musician.

Buddy Guy, soon to be legendary chicago blues master. Born from Muddy Waters, praised by Clapton and so on.  Sweet Tea is just infectious, spirited live electric blues guitar sound.  If Buddy don't get your mojo groovin then...

launche

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2008, 09:03 pm »
Question....for the TADAC owners...

What other DAC's have you owned or compared the TADAC too ? Thanks.... :thumb:

Well with the system the TADAC is in I've compared it to the Paradisea w/Monarchy DIP Upsampler, Modified McCormack DAC 1, Citypulse DAC, Scott Nixon tube DAC and Benchmark USB DAC.  Known of the details from these sessions are fresh in my mind to list but overall I preferred to keep the TADAC in the system.