I miss my dAck!

davejcb

I miss my dAck!
« on: 30 Sep 2004, 05:13 am »
:(

It's been ~12 hours since I've shipped my dAck! to free up some money for a turbo for my Talon, deal I couldn't pass up... Just fired up the Panasonic DVD-A7, which used to serve transport duties. It's just now that I'm starting to appreciate just how damned nice the dAck! was.

First thing I notice is the sounds seems bigger, but not in a good way. There seems to be more presence, but it's sort of out of focus and weird. Not so realistic. Imaging is not quite as good, neither is focus.

Next thing is highs - cymbals suddenly suck! I'm a drummer, so if cymbals don't sound right, I know. They usually bug me on pretty much every system, but ever since I'd had the dAck! they just seemed to be right, for the first time. I had heard a Cary 306/200 be good too, but hadn't spent enough time on that.

Things seems much more harsh and digital, for instance the snare has a much more rough ragged sound to it. Things in general have a raggedness to them.

The dAck! definitely threw a smaller soundstage, as I've mentionned earlier in other posts, but it just sounds right[/i]. I'm just now starting to get a handle on how smooth and involving it was. One word to describe it - realistic.

It's definitely a whole other ball game listening to the dAck! as compared to the Cary or this Panasonic, as mentionned a hundred times it sounds very very smooth, apparently analog-like. I have never had the chance to hear good vinyl, so I can't really comment. But it's smooth as silk, tonal balance is excellent. It's definitely a midrange champion.

Bass wasn't earth-shattering, but it was tight and very defined, very toneful. Listening to NIN's "Downward Spiral" right now, seems like bass is a lot more bloated, kind of like my girlfriend's Paradigm Titans with a sub.

Anyways, all this to say once I have the money again a dAck! will make it's way back to my system.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I miss my dAck!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2004, 05:23 am »
Just don't advise your GF that you've noticed her bottom end is "fat, mushy & bloated!" :o  :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
I miss my dAck!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2004, 01:49 pm »
if ya can free up a coupla bucks, this will tide ya over in a good way:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1100883510

spend another $10 for an upgrade power supply from hosfelt.com

doug s.

Jose Garcia

That remember me someone....
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:10 pm »
ME :(

I sold my complere system. The CI/MSB Link with HC-2 was the last to go. In the meantime I bought a Toshiba SD-3960 which never modified and was waiting to buy a new machine. Hurricane Jeanne passed over and the $$$ went to other "priorities" ( wife call) ....

BUT...give your unit a few break-in and it may get better over time ( or your ears may adapt to its sound).

The thing is, you never notice a big change until it is left.....

Jose.

Marbles

I miss my dAck!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: doug s.

doug s.

Having had both in my system, they are at polar opposites in their presentations....

doug s.

• makin' music
I miss my dAck!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: doug s.

doug s.

Having had both in my system, they are at polar opposites in their presentations....

you run a big-power s/s rig; the art di/o may actually synergize *better* in a low-power tube rig like dave has, then the ack dack...  in any event, it should certainly ameliorate his present complaints...

doug s.