Archive: Reference 3A reviews

cyounkman

Archive: Reference 3A reviews
« on: 16 Jun 2003, 06:08 am »
I'm assembling a list of Reference 3A reviews. Many are online, but some aren't--you'll have to find a paper copy, as copyright obviously restricts us from posting the text. Please post any that I've missed. (I'm sure there are many.)

Also please feel free to add other media coverage -- shows, articles, and particularly journalists who use them as long-term references or mention them as a comparison point in reviews of other products.

cyounkman

Take 1: List of Recent Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2003, 06:17 am »
This is mostly off the top of my head; arranged in vaguely chronological order.

Dulcet

Internationl Audio Review review

De Capo i

Hi Fi + Product of the Year Awards - awarded Product of the Year and Editor's Choice awards, Issue 22
[The article calls the speaker the "MM de Capo", but the text refers specifically to a "recent tweeter change."]

Enjoy The Music review - Steve Rochlin

MM De Capo

The Absolute Sound review - Aaron Shatzman (Issue 132)

Hi Fi + review (not available online)

Enjoy The Music review - Steve Rochlin

Ultra High Fidelity review

Soundstage review - Neil Walker

Royal Virtuoso

Hi Fi +, MMMM Award ("Markwell's Magic Music Makers") - Scott Markwell, Issue 22

La Suprema

Ultra High Fidelity (from Reference 3A site)

The Absolute Sound (from Reference 3A site)

Integrale

Royal Master

Royal Grand Master
The Absolute Sound - Jonathan Valin - Best Components of 1994

Royal Master Control
The Absolute Sound - Jonathan Valin

cyounkman

Another review
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2003, 08:50 pm »
Sorry ...  forgot this one. It also includes fairly comprehensive test measurements and a brief manufacturer's response.

MM De Capo[/u]

Audio Xpress review (pdf)

brucegel

Re: Another review
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2003, 12:33 am »
For what its worth this is the review that clinched the deal in my mind for purchasing the decapos.Thanks for the post cyounkman.

cyounkman

R3A's used in reviews:
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2003, 05:43 pm »
Hi Fi + seems to have turned into a bit of a R3A shop of late: Editor Roy Gregory is using the (new) De Capo i's (although he doesn't identify them as such--they may be marketed differently in UK) with everything he reviews, as well as the Living Voice Avatar OBX's. This issue he's reviewed several low- to mid- powered amps that I'm sure would be great choices (like that beautiful Tom Evans Soul amp), although they're stratospheric in price (the Soul weighs in at 8000 pounds sterling, and the other amps in the same neighborhood). He often refers to the i's in other speaker reviews, as well.

Anyway, if anyone is shopping for amps in this price range, something to keep in mind. He reviews more affordable equipment as well, but seemingly not as often...

Scott Markwell, from TAS, is also writing a column for Hi Fi +; his reference speakers include the Royal Virtuoso, as well as some very high efficiency single-driver models.

cyounkman

Recent reviews...
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:30 am »
Canadian mag Ultra High Fidelity has reviewed the MM De Capo i in Issue 67. You can download a pdf of the entire issue here. (review, pg 42)

The De Capo i also makes an appearance in the TAS Editor's Choice 2003 list in the $2000-$2500 class, along with the JM Lab 906, Totem Hawk, Thiel CS1.6, and Von Schweikert VR-2.

Quote from: TAS
Reference 3A De Capo i
The Reference 3A De Capo uses the latest version of Daniel Dehay’s famous 8" direct-drive (crossoverless) carbon-fiber driver, along with a custom SEAS silkdome tweeter in a beautifully finished rear-ported enclosure. At a sensitivity of 92dB/watt, it can be used with amps from 8 watts up for excellent performance, and really shines when paired with a first-rate subwoofer. (Reviewed by Aaron Shatzman in Issue 132)

Download the entire Editor's Choice list here.