De Capo 'i' vs. modified older De Capo

mcrespo71

« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2003, 01:14 pm »
How much toe in are you using for the De Capo I's?  I'd be curious how you have them set up in your room?  I just got mine and am still experimenting with setup.

brucegel

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2003, 07:47 pm »
I think it's a mistake to toe in the decapo's.I cannot give you a technical explanation but I have tried it and each time the center image became ill defined relative to straight on position.

mcrespo71

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2003, 03:30 am »
Bruce, I also fooled with toe in and it ruined the spread of my soundstage, while giving me a worse center fill! :evil:

Toe in isn't working in my room.

Terry

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2003, 01:35 pm »
Okay, this is how I have my speakers set-up. As mentioned they are placed on the long wall, 7 feet apart, 51 inches from the front wall  and 53 inches from each side wall. I am stitting along the back wall, about 9 feet from speaker baffle. As far as toe-in is concerned I have found a small amount to be beneficial. The best way to approach this is to choose a few different recordings you know well; I suggest a simple vocal, a small jazz ensemble and a large orchestra piece. By pivoting the speaker on its back spike (do this carefully, if your stands are reall heavy you will probably snap the end off the spike) gradually increase the amount of toe-in. Go in increments of no more than a 1/2 " at a time and carefully listen to each recording after each change. I found that the image just seem to snap into place with about an inch of toe in - not much change in position but a clearly audible improvement in image focus. I cannot predict if toe-in will work in your system. I know that Divergent does not recommend it, at least for the older version of the DeCappo, but at least one of the review magazines (TAS/HiFi+/enjoythemusic?) also mentioned that this was beneficial.

brucegel

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2003, 03:35 pm »
It sounds to me that because you have your speakers so far from back and side walls that there is less room interaction happening than some of the other setups we have heard about.This would explain the snapping into place of the image since you are reading more direct image than not.Also the distance away from the speakers is closer than most setups.I am sitting 17.5 ft from my speakers front plane and they situate on the short wall 22inches from sides and 33 inches from the back wall.The amazing thing is even with all the room interaction the imaging is exact and stable.

mcrespo71

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2003, 04:20 pm »
Bruce-

17.5 feet?  Dang could you give me a few extra feet of listening position? It seems you have room to spare!!!!!   I've never listened that far from a speaker before.  I'd be curious to try it.

Stuartbranson

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2003, 05:36 pm »
Brucegel,

17.5'!  What are the other dimensions of the room?  I can't imagine what it must be like with a room twice the volume of mine.  Orchestral works must be amazing.

brucegel

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2003, 09:28 pm »
Room dimensions are 21 x 13 x 8.I wish my ceiling were higher but everything else is good about the room.This is not a dedicated listening room but the living room that my wife has graciously allowed me to take over...sort of.

Jonathan

Review of DeCapo upgrade over at AA...
« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:45 am »
There's finally a review of the De Capo tweeter upgrade over at AudioAsylum.  The guy seems to think that it was worthwile improvement, and definitely worth the $170.  Here's a link to the review: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=speakers&m=132732

Thanks,

Jon