New VR-4SR MKII

ahanson3

• Retired
New VR-4SR MKII
« on: 8 Dec 2008, 11:43 pm »
Once you decided on the VR-4SR MKII speakers, how long did it take for your speakers to ship?  Does Albert have some available or are they built per order? With CES approaching, and Albert and staff getting things ready for the Show, I am trying to determine how long it would take to be a proud owner.

I currently have a pair of the original VSA VR-5's, LCR 35 center, and VR-S/3 subwoofer.  I have been talking with Albert and Joe about either upgrading my VR-5's or replacing them with the VR-4SR MKII's.   I will contact Albert directly, but thought I could take this opportunity to introduce myself as a new member, and thought maybe you guys (and gals?) might have an aswer to the timeframe.  You might also give your opinion on the better option.  I am planning on retiring this coming June so the VR-5 Anniversary, VR-9SE, and VR-11SE are probably out of consideration.

Looking forward to being part of the circle.

A fellow proud VSA owner.

ahanson3

foghorn

Re: New VR-4SR MKII
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2008, 03:27 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I ordered my VR4 SR MK II's on a Monday.  The following Monday I received a call from Pilot Freight (the company VS uses to ship the speakers), that my speakers were in their warehouse.  I arranged delivery for the next day.  So total time was about 8 days.  I live in New Jersey and the speakers started in S. California.  Depending on where you live, the trip may be shorter.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2008, 04:25 pm »
I think it depends on what's in stock -- 8 days is amazing...mine was nearer 50 days for my VR5s last Fall, and even then the process as not without problems (a certain breakdown of communication between dealer and VSA, shall we say, so I ended up dealing directly with the company).

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:10 pm »
Once you decided on the VR-4SR MKII speakers, how long did it take for your speakers to ship?  Does Albert have some available or are they built per order? With CES approaching, and Albert and staff getting things ready for the Show, I am trying to determine how long it would take to be a proud owner.

I currently have a pair of the original VSA VR-5's, LCR 35 center, and VR-S/3 subwoofer.  I have been talking with Albert and Joe about either upgrading my VR-5's or replacing them with the VR-4SR MKII's.   I will contact Albert directly, but thought I could take this opportunity to introduce myself as a new member, and thought maybe you guys (and gals?) might have an answer to the timeframe.  You might also give your opinion on the better option.  I am planning on retiring this coming June so the VR-5 Anniversary, VR-9SE, and VR-11SE are probably out of consideration.

Looking forward to being part of the circle.

A fellow proud VSA owner.

ahanson3

Retiring eh?  Good for you.  I did the deed 4 years ago and have zero regrets.  Don't fret about not being able to move up to the anniversaries.  I'm sure they are great but what you will be getting are incredible and according to many articles and posts on the web, the VR4 SR MkII's blow the Wilson Watt puppies out of the water for less than half the cost.  The build quality is second to none.  Mine are piano gloss black and in case you don't already know, the finish is applied by Steinway.  Coincidentally, when I bought my MkIIs, Albert was headed for the RMAF so that got in the way of shipping them out.  The good news was that the guys had them playing nonstop during their absence so I had a head start on break in.  The overall time wasn't any more than maybe 3 or 4 weeks max.  I can attest to VSA speakers having an extended break in period.  I have over 400 hrs. on mine and they sound much better than when I first fired them up.  CDs that I played early on and have revisited recently sound much better...bigger soundstage, lower bass, tighter midbass and detail that matches any electrostatic.  Get 'em broken in and get deep into your music collection and don't worry about upgrading.  It will be a moot point.

ahanson3

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:48 pm »
Thanks foghorn, Delacroix, and es347 for your responses.  I am waiting for a phone call so I can place an order.  I have seen the photos of your systems that are posted here. Very very nice indeed.  I will continue to drool while looking at your pictures until mine arrive.  Now the unpleasant task of figuring out how to pack up the VR-5's.   Then the next fun thing will be getting those heavy boxes into the house in the middle of a Minnesota winter.

Alan

McTwins

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:03 am »
Good choice :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
When you have your speakers in the house you will forget about the winter :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:57 am »
Gentlemen, don't miss this point.  If you are a true audiophile, what better place to live than Minnesota in the dead of winter?  'Oh gee, guess I'll have to stay in today....now what in the world will I do?  I know!....the Food Channel!'  :duh:

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2008, 10:40 am »
Gentlemen, don't miss this point.  If you are a true audiophile, what better place to live than Minnesota in the dead of winter?  'Oh gee, guess I'll have to stay in today....now what in the world will I do?  I know!....the Food Channel!'  :duh:

So Gavin, do you prefer the sweet but better defined top end of Giadda de Laurentis or the fuller more organic bass of the Barefoot Contessa?  :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Hanson, worry not! It will be worth the wait.....and the burn in wait too  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:24 pm »

So Gavin, do you prefer the sweet but better defined top end of Giadda de Laurentis or the fuller more organic bass of the Barefoot Contessa?  :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Hanson, worry not! It will be worth the wait.....and the burn in wait too  :thumb:

I'd have to go with Giadda...the well-defined top end is great but have you seen her buns?  I think her secret is the whole wheat flour :drool: