AXPONA and The Monoliths speaker system

HAL

AXPONA and The Monoliths speaker system
« on: 16 Apr 2019, 03:48 pm »
   After CAF2018 took the feedback from the show listeners and did a new DSP crossover design for The Monoliths speakers.  This was the crossover design used for AXPONA 2019.  This was run in the room on both the dspMusikLCD 2x8 on Friday and the dspNexus 2x8 on Saturday and Sunday.

To improve the power handling for the BG NEO10 midrange and GR-NEO3 tweeter implemented 8th order (48dB/Octave) Linkwitz-Reily crossover filters for all slopes used.    The High Performance digital crossover filters in Audio Weaver that run on the dspMusikLCD 2x8 are excellent sounding topologies that I had tested using headphones and are used for the design.

After listening tests with the new design of the crossover for the speakers, it was a large improvement in sound quality over the original design.   

Since we knew we would also be dealing with small room acoustics, MathAudio RoomEQ was setup on the HAL MS-5 Music Server in Foobar2000 music player software.  After the speakers were setup in places that room modeling suggested, RoomEQ acoustic measurements were done and the new High Precision mode was used for all music playback.  The results spoke for themselves.

Glad listeners were able to hear the system and give their responses to the results.  The comments were very positive indeed.

HAL

Re: AXPONA and The Monoliths speaker system
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2019, 06:45 pm »
Great feedback from one listener at AXPONA 2019 for The Monoliths was:

"It's like listening to planar headphones with imaging and real bass response."

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2019, 12:07 am »
It was very nice Rich. One of the best balanced room sounds at AXPONA. :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2019, 01:35 am »
Pete,
Thanks for stopping in and the feedback!  Always good to catch up with you.

Glad you enjoyed the system.   :D

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2019, 08:51 pm »
One thing about the room 358 was the MS-5 was running room correction for the entire show. 

Did measurements on Thursday during setup and ran the entire show.

Glad folks enjoyed it.

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2019, 11:35 pm »
Congrats on a great show Rich.  That is a beautiful paint job on those speakers.  You note above “After the speakers were setup in places that room modeling suggested“, is the room modeling part of your system or is that a separate app that is used?

Best,
Ed

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2019, 11:43 pm »
Ed,
Thanks!

I use CARA 2.2 Plus PC software for room and speaker modeling.  I just get the room dimensions, as I have done The Monoliths speaker model in CARA. 

If someone buys a kit, and they have or get CARA then I would be happy to give them the speaker model to use for setup.

Rich

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2019, 12:19 am »
Thanks For the info Rich, I will read up on Cara.

Best,
Ed

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2019, 12:27 am »
Ed,
Here is an example of the simple version of The Monoliths in the room in the CARA software after you build the speaker model. 

You run the optimization and it gives you suggested locations for the speakers to fit within the parameters you setup.

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2019, 05:27 pm »
AXPONA 2019 room write-up from EnjoyTheMusic.com

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2019/Becker/Part6/page2.htm