GIK QRD, Q7D, Gridfusor

drummermitchell

GIK QRD, Q7D, Gridfusor
« on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:06 pm »
Wondering how different these are from each other in diffusing sound.
Is one better or different than the other or are they just cosmetically different.
If they do diffuse different is there a way to describe each one and how they compare to one another.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: GIK QRD, Q7D, Gridfusor
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:29 pm »
The QRD and Q7D are the same size, frequency range, and root sequence.  The 7D has well dividers as well as being all wood. They are both asymmetric so they can go side by side in mirror imaged pairs.

The Grid is a symmetric 13 root diffuser and is 1/s the size. It will operate in a higher range than the others and should have some space between them to avoid repeating patterns and resulting comb filtering.

Bryan

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm »
THX Bryan.

dm

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm »
The QRD and Q7D are the same size, frequency range, and root sequence.  The 7D has well dividers as well as being all wood. They are both asymmetric so they can go side by side in mirror imaged pairs.

The Grid is a symmetric 13 root diffuser and is 1/s the size. It will operate in a higher range than the others and should have some space between them to avoid repeating patterns and resulting comb filtering.

Bryan

How much space between gridfusiors is recommended?  Also is it recommended to alternate (by 90 degrees) or align the dividers/wells of the gridfusiors when on the same wall near each other?

jk@home

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm »
And along the same lines, can one slap a Gridfusor next to a polycylindrical? In my case, the poly would be in front of a bass trap straddling a corner, at a 45 degree angle to the side of the gridfusor, mounted on the front wall.

BTW, GIK should bring back their polys. They were gorgeous looking! Maybe not as effective as the QRDs, but I would say higher on the WAF scale.

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:28 pm »
And along the same lines, can one slap a Gridfusor next to a polycylindrical? In my case, the poly would be in front of a bass trap straddling a corner, at a 45 degree angle to the side of the gridfusor, mounted on the front wall.

BTW, GIK should bring back their polys. They were gorgeous looking! Maybe not as effective as the QRDs, but I would say higher on the WAF scale.

That is exactly what I have going in my front corners as well --Polyfusors in front of Tritraps... I acquired the Polyfusors (4) for free from someone. The front corners behind the speakers is the only place they worked well in my room. But I was unable to toggle them by 90° in a square configuration on the rear wall. That might of worked as well.

bernardo

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:16 pm »
What is the benefit of placing polyfusors in front of bass traps or Tri-Traps?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:22 pm »
The polys would not work well in front of an absorber - too much mass to allow the bass to pass through it into the absorption.

Bryan

bernardo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:36 pm »
Bryan-
How does one decide whether to use a standard bass trap such as GIK Tri-Traps, the Tri-Traps with the addition of the wood scatter plate, or the GIK Soffit Rectangular Bass Trap assuming cost is not a factor? Does speaker type dictate or some other consideration?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:46 pm »
It can pending the speaker type and where it's being used in the room, the desired balance of bass to mid/high absorption, frequency range needed, etc.  Easier to just take a look at the room and judge on a case by case basis.

Bryan

jriggy

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:42 pm »
The polys would not work well in front of an absorber - too much mass to allow the bass to pass through it into the absorption.

Bryan

In my case there is still a fair amount of bass trap showing. It must be still doing enough of a job and adding the polys did benefit the soundstage in that location... But I will definitely do another a/b/a since I have lived with it for a while but right now the combination sounds good.

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2013, 06:51 pm »
Update: I have reduced the polys in front of my floor to ceiling tri-traps. In stead of covering a 2'x4' area of the absorbers in the front wall corners, they are now only covering a 2'x2' area that is the same height as the mid-tweeter-mid on my speakers.
I do like what the polyfusors do to the soundstage in this location but also really like what the Tri-traps do for clarity on the sound while cleaning up the bass. Taking the polys down by half and positioning/propping them where stated seems to give more of a 'best of both worlds' than I thought I had.

Thanks for making me revisit and reconsider their placement! Sometimes a change can seem 'better' until a revisit with a fresh ear.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2013, 07:14 pm »
And you have a couple of Poly's left over to use in other places.....

Bryan