Zu Mini Method amp upgrade

naggots

Zu Mini Method amp upgrade
« on: 23 Dec 2012, 10:53 am »
I have 2 mini methods and always thought they batted above their weight. Zu introduced a Hypex ucd upgrade with extra PEQ capability, far better quality with 6mm thick panels and custom wire harness. Installation was a breeze.

After upgrading both amps from the 120w cheapie to the the new Def4 400w versions I noticed a substantial change. Bass was deeper, fuller and much cleaner...... Almost too clean untill I got used to it which took a while.........It blends well with the new Nano drivers I also installed. These subs have always had incredible headroom which has been retained. The new amps are not cheap at $800ea but for me it was worth it.

Shermie

Re: Zu Mini Method amp upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2016, 08:56 pm »
I have owned a Mini method I purchased new from Zu back in 2008. I never liked the sound or the performance. The Bass has always been sluggish and bloated, without definition. I have a pair of Zu Druid MKIV purchased new 2 years before the Mini Method.

The first $50 very, I mean very cheap plate amp broke, then Zu sent me another of the same cheap $50 plate amp and it lasted 1 year and also broke.

I never cranked up the volume, as I listen to Jazz and New Age with some Classic Rock and Soma FM. The description cheap is accurate, and the performance lack-luster.

I read your post today in 2016 with much interest, as I am considering selling the Mini-Method as-is for $300.00 with the busted plate amp, or I may would consider spending the $800 to replace it with the upgraded version.

Are you still happy?

I realize i has been almost 5 years since your posting.

Should I go for it?

Dentdog

Re: Zu Mini Method amp upgrade
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:41 pm »
I know it's been six years but if you still have the Mini Method I would be interested.