PAS-2 mod...questions about switches

69CamaroSS

PAS-2 mod...questions about switches
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 08:42 pm »
I recently picked up an NOS AVA kit from many years back. It includes an upgrade to an SA-300 Central Lab selector switch. The switch has two decks and the stock one had three. Would this make it possible to eliminate some other switches?

My plan is to eliminate the tone controls and the slide switches except for power, of course. I would also like to do away with the blend switch. Is this easy to implement? I noticed that it was connected to several other components.

Cheers, Greg

turkey

Re: PAS-2 mod...questions about switches
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:08 pm »
I recently picked up an NOS AVA kit from many years back. It includes an upgrade to an SA-300 Central Lab selector switch. The switch has two decks and the stock one had three. Would this make it possible to eliminate some other switches?

My plan is to eliminate the tone controls and the slide switches except for power, of course. I would also like to do away with the blend switch. Is this easy to implement? I noticed that it was connected to several other components.

Cheers, Greg

I think that the two-deck switch was used because it was readily available, higher quality than the stock switch, and less expensive than having an exact replacement 3-deck switch made. People no longer needed the phono and tape head EQ functions that were common when the PAS was originally designed, so there was no need for the more complex switch and setup.

The tone controls were not used in the SuperPAS series preamps that I saw.

The blend switch had no effect when it's in the stereo position, so I'm not sure why it would need to be removed, unless the switch is in really bad shape. Have you tried cleaning it with some Caig Progold?

Isn't the tape monitor switch one of the slide switches? It's been a while since I looked at my SuperPAS, and even longer since I hooked up a tape deck to anything.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 03:33 am by turkey »

69CamaroSS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2009, 12:44 am »
Thanks turkey for the reply. Appropriate name for the season, LOL!

I found a new rotary switch to replace the blend switch. And after digging through the box that this kit was in, I found some pretty detailed drawings of all(hopefully) the hookups. And the tape monitor switch is retained and wired to the replacement selector switch to provide two additional inputs. Now all I need is a nice faceplate like rlee8394.

Cheers, Greg

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:40 pm »
There are good engineering reasons for the configuration of the Super Pas rebuild kit.

If you have questions about it, please call me at 651-330-9871.

Frank Van Alstine

69CamaroSS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:08 am »
Thanks Frank.

I'm wanting to use jacks 7 and 8 for additional pairs of outputs, but will only be using one pair at any given time. To simplify things, I'm wanting to skip the two inputs provided by the former tape monitor switch, plus I really need no more than six inputs.

Cheers, Greg

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:16 pm »
There is a small but important low pass filter built on the blend switch in the Super Pas Three rebuild kit.  If you eliminate the blend switch, it is important to still install the low pass filter or you will end up with a "edgy" sounding preamp.

Again, please contact me regarding the reasons for the design work of the Super Pas Three.  Don't make assumptions.

Regards

Frank

69CamaroSS

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:14 am »
Mr. Van Alstine,

Can I send the preamp to you for wiring of the selector and blend switches, and to check out other things in general? The cost would be well worth it to me.

Thanks, Greg

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:25 pm »
69CamaroSS, sure, go ahead and send it to us.  We can fix it for you at a rational price.

Pack it to survive being kicked down a long flight of stairs and then out a second story window.  Ship UPS insured please.

Merry Christmas,

Frank Van Alstine