Hello

Are we still at $1699 for these?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!
« Reply #101 on: 6 Mar 2010, 04:29 pm »
Hello

Are we still at $1699 for these?

Yes. The current AVA price list for new equipment can be seen here.

Have fun,
Jerry

Wayner

« Reply #102 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:21 pm »
Meters are up and running!

I've been on the stump, trying to find some resistors in town. Living in a small town makes it hard to find a 9.90 megohm resistors, but I got the mission accomplished. To get the meters to read the proper range, resistor RB needed to be taken out and replaced with a 9.90megohm resistor, which I made from 2 4.7M and 5 100Ks. Then RA needs to have a 100K ohm resistor in parallel with the existing resistor. The manual says to use .1%, I used 5% and got the values that I wanted.

Here are a couple of photos of the guts and the unit working. I put in a power switch and LED for power, another switch to take the hot lead off the Ultravalve bias pots and I even put in a power receptacle in case I want to put a 10 gauge power cord to it from my 9 volt, 500ma wall wart!

Here is a bill of materials if any of you would like to build one:

(2) Test lead sets       Parts Express #390-120
(1) 2.5mm Panel Mt DC Jack    Parts Express #090-479 (this may change depending on wall wart)
(1) 9 volt wall wart            (go to Radio Shack and get one) Parts Express measured 14.6 volts
(2) Dual binding post   Parts Express #090-475
(2) Velleman meters    Parts Express #320-241
(1) Box                     Radio Shack    size: 6 X 4 X 2

You will need to cut a couple of rectagular holes for the meters as they need that to mount (snap in).
(2) 100K 1/4 watt 5% resistors
(2) 9.90M 1/4 watt 5% resistors (or (4) 4.7M + (10) 100K ohm resistors (as I had to do).
If you build the resistor series network, get a couple of breadboards (Radio Shack #276-148).
(4) rubber stick on feet (Radio Shack #64-2342, pkg of 8)
(2) Double pole, double throw switches.
(1) Red Led, 2 volt, 20ma.
(1) LED panel mount escutcheon.
(2) Feet of Cat-5e wire (stripped and untwisted) to make interconnect wire.
I will make a schematic later.

Also notice the wiring. That is exactly why Frank has me do mechanical.  :lol:

Wayner  :D

martyo

« Reply #103 on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:53 pm »
Very cool Wayner. :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #104 on: 8 Mar 2010, 09:27 pm »
Here is the schematic. Sorry about the ladder logic.

nature boy

« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:19 pm »
My tax returns are done, nice refund coming and my wonderful wife has endorsed my purchase.  She puts up with quite a lot from me.  An Ultravalve 70 is in my future, after I get my check from Uncle.  Yahoo!

NB

simon wagstaff

« Reply #106 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:54 pm »
Good move!   :D

Wayner

« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm »
If anyone is interested, I did a little bias voltage study this weekend and here are the results:

TIMEBIAS VOLTAGE
3:10
   1.7[/t][/t]   
3:20
   1.68[/t]   
3:30
   1.66[/t]   
3:40
   1.65[/t]   
3:50
   1.63[/t]   
4:00
   1.62[/t]   
4:10
   1.61[/t]   
4:20
   1.61[/t]   
4:30
   1.6[/t]   
4:40
   1.6[/t]   
4:50
   1.6[/t]   
5:00
   1.59[/t]   
The message here is that it doesn't pay to fool around with the bias until the amp has been on for at least 1 1/2 hours. This behavior seems to repeat daily and the bias start voltage is almost always at about 1.70 VDC.

martyo

« Reply #108 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:20 pm »
Wayne, I have no idea if those are significant differences but does the amp sound any different at 1.7 and 1.59?

Wayner

« Reply #109 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:05 pm »
No, I can't tell any difference, tho I'm not playing a single test tone (just music) and I perceive no change. That is not a big swing, anyway. I thought it might help those that maybe constant twiddlers that messing with the bias settings really isn't necessary. I'd think if you checked it once or twice a week, you would be more then fine.

I was interested in the bias voltage behavior, and my dual meter box really helped me to understand the amp better and how the bias behaves. I was fiddling with the bias all the time and have now learned that it really isn't necessary. Like I stated before, let the amp run for about an hour and a half, and check (and set) bias. The behavior of the bias voltage seems repeat, telling me first, that my line voltage is very stable, and second, the amp is very stable.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #110 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:29 pm »
 Finally looked at AVA price list. Quite impressive for what you get. Very fair and reasonable. Kudos to all concerned. Refreshing actually.  8)

charles

martyo

« Reply #111 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:57 pm »
Thanks Wayne. :D

mchuckp

« Reply #112 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:58 am »
Just ordered an Ultravalve from Frank yesterday.  It will be replacing my AVA Insight 240 (slim chassis) and will be paired with my AVA T8+ (which I love).

Can't wait! :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #113 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:14 am »
Just ordered an Ultravalve from Frank yesterday.  It will be replacing my AVA Insight 240 (slim chassis) and will be paired with my AVA T8+ (which I love).

Great news , dying to hear your opinions with the Songtowers

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #114 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:00 am »

Now all you need to do is replace that PS Audio DAC with a AVA Vision Dac and let the light shine in.  8)

Don't forget the pictures.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

mchuckp

« Reply #115 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:59 pm »

Now all you need to do is replace that PS Audio DAC with a AVA Vision Dac and let the light shine in.  8)

Don't forget the pictures.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

I'm actually not using the PS Audio DAC. I let a friend borrow it. My source for digital is strictly my Oppo SE which I LOVE. As for DACs, I've been considering one if Frank's DACs to go with my upcoming Squeezebox Touch but also very interested in checking out the Wyred4Sound DAC-1 which uses the ESS Sabre like the Oppo SE. No word yet on release on it.

For now, just excited to get the Ultravalve. I've moved in the last week and loving my new room. The UV will be very happy. :)

nature boy

« Reply #116 on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:56 pm »
My tax returns are done, nice refund coming and my wonderful wife has endorsed my purchase.  She puts up with quite a lot from me.  An Ultravalve 70 is in my future, after I get my check from Uncle.  Yahoo!

NB

The refund check watch has begun.  Frank has been most helpful and I can't wait to place my order.  Even my good friend Gordy, who helped my Felix power conditioner build, is waiting for a listen. 

NB

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #117 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:39 pm »
My good friend Gordy, who helped my Felix power conditioner build, is waiting for a listen. 

NB

Good to hear that Gordy is fine.  I hadn't seen any posts from him recently.  He was very helpful to me when I had a problem with a DVP with a noisy power supply.  His generosity was astonishing.  He seems extremely knowledgeable, too.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010, 09:04 pm by oneinthepipe »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #118 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:20 am »
The refund check watch has begun.  Frank has been most helpful and I can't wait to place my order.  Even my good friend Gordy, who helped my Felix power conditioner build, is waiting for a listen. 

NB

I was just asking Chris (Lonewolf) last night what happened go Gordy and how he was doing. I'm glad to hear all is fine. I always wanted to meet Gordy at a NY RAVE. He is a tweakmaster IMHO.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

nature boy

« Reply #119 on: 18 Mar 2010, 10:15 am »
BTW, Gordy is doing fine, he is still recovering from a health issue that knocked him back a bit last year.  I'll be sure to convey your best from his many AC friends.

NB