CD player

maxima95

Re: CD player
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2022, 04:48 pm »
Is this it? https://cover.box3.net/index.php?pid=cove2&p=v&rid=177268&&por=5&mod=cd

Is this the only disc that won't read? 

If so, as Carlman stated above, the problem may not be the player.  There may be a peculiarity with this disc.
Not sure if 24/192 remastering has anything to do with it.

Craig B

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2022, 05:01 pm »
Is this it? https://cover.box3.net/index.php?pid=cove2&p=v&rid=177268&&por=5&mod=cd

If so, as Carlman stated above, the problem may not be the player.  There may be a peculiarity with this disc.
Not sure if 24/192 remastering has anything to do with it.

I doubt the master source would have any effect on its playability in any device. Chances are it's either a bad disc, or the old player is starting to die. If it happens on other discs, too, the player is the more likely problem.

low.pfile

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2022, 05:22 pm »

Can you just insert the disc into a computer with a CD/DVD slot and see what shows up on the disc volume? not to play it – just to see the disc content. each track would have a .flac suffix, and most standard CD players cannot play that format (even newer players).

Note that at the bottom of this page on Discogs, you can see the various releases. there are a couple of CD releases, no DVD-A versions, but one FLAC version. I wonder if that was delivered on a CD?

https://www.discogs.com/release/18001048-Neil-Young-Young-Shakespeare

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2022, 07:07 pm »
Can you just insert the disc into a computer with a CD/DVD slot and see what shows up on the disc volume? not to play it – just to see the disc content. each track would have a .flac suffix, and most standard CD players cannot play that format (even newer players).

Note that at the bottom of this page on Discogs, you can see the various releases. there are a couple of CD releases, no DVD-A versions, but one FLAC version. I wonder if that was delivered on a CD?

https://www.discogs.com/release/18001048-Neil-Young-Young-Shakespeare

I have the Young Shakespeare album. It is physically impossible to fit the 192kHz-24bit flac files on a CD because the album is 1.53GB. The album is available as a digital download at HD Tracks
https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/6059f83ab1f51d1463f9bb1a

The reason some disks don't play is the CD drive is dying, happened to me all the time. Usually the burned CDs are the first to fail at reading, then random store bought CDs start failing.

rcag_ils

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:21 pm »

I never would have guessed. Mine does say 192/24 on it so I have to assume it is the FLAC version, what the hell is FLAC anyway? Why would they sell it as a CD in the deluxe box set, and how in the hell am I supposed to play it? (I'll put it in the computer to confirm it later).

aln

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:31 pm »
Many cds have a audio file on them - you copy the file to your computer to listen to it.  Steven Wilson does this with his King Crimson remasters-a regular cd and a cd with the audio files on it - 5.1 file,  24 bit file and so on.  Cool stuff!

rcag_ils

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:32 pm »
I doubt the master source would have any effect on its playability in any device. Chances are it's either a bad disc, or the old player is starting to die. If it happens on other discs, too, the player is the more likely problem.

Craig B, so you are saying a new regular CD player would play it? My CD player may be old, but doesn't get used much comparing to how other listeners use their equipment.

rcag_ils

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:42 pm »

Maxima95, yes this is the one.

WGH

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2022, 09:36 pm »
Mine does say 192/24 on it so I have to assume it is the FLAC version, what the hell is FLAC anyway? Why would they sell it as a CD in the deluxe box set, and how in the hell am I supposed to play it? (I'll put it in the computer to confirm it later).

All the physical disks of Young Shakespeare have "SOURCE MASTERED FROM 192/24 Digital", that doesn't mean that it is hi-res, or it's flac.

Put the CD in a computer and open it in Windows File Explorer. You will see .cda at the end of all the songs.
What the hell is .cda anyway?
.cda is a common filename extension denoting a small (44 byte) stub file generated by Microsoft Windows for each audio track on a standard "Red Book" CD-DA format audio CD
Red Book is 44.1kHZ-16bit.

Notice the label says 33 1/3 RPM and the small hole in the middle. This is the vinyl!

Flac is basically a zip file for music, usually .WAV files. The music file is compressed without throwing away data like a mp3. A FLAC file can contain additional info like artist, song title, album title, year, composer and a lot more whereas a WAV file can't include any additional data like that.

rcag_ils

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2022, 10:30 pm »
All the physical disks of Young Shakespeare have "SOURCE MASTERED FROM 192/24 Digital", that doesn't mean that it is hi-res, or it's flac.

WGH, so you are saying that it should play just like a regular CD, but it doesn't. Bad CD? Or it's not even a music CD, just a bunch of music files on a disk for you to manipulate not play? Player on its way out, but it still plays older CD with no problem?

Should I just be happy with the vinyl in the box set works?

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:23 pm »
Don't know, could be all the above. I don't know what you bought, I have the digital download only. The Deluxe set includes a vinyl record, CD, and DVD. Please don't tell us you are putting the DVD into the CD player.

Put the CD in your computer it can be played using WIMP (Windows media Player)

If the computer coughs up a hairball and can't access the disk then it's a bad disk.

low.pfile

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:43 pm »
Seems fairly easy to first just check the CD itself is not a dud, try in another player:
- your DVD player
- a family member's, friend's, or neighbor's DVD player or portable CD player or computer
- older car stereo
- or go to an electronics store and play on display device

rcag_ils

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jul 2022, 12:33 am »
Please don't tell us you are putting the DVD into the CD player.

No, I did not put the DVD into the CD player, I know that much. DVD is still in shrink wrap unopened.

I will try it in my DVD player and my computer and see.

rcag_ils

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2022, 02:54 pm »
Well, I put the disc in my computer, and it played. I listened to it through my computer speakers, and it sounded like AM radio. The track file extension showed .cda

Then I put the disc in my AMC CD player, it made some noise then the front display showed "No Disc".

I put the disc in my 8-year-old Sony Blu-ray DVD player, and it also played through the TV. However, that Blu-ray player has no front panel control, no front panel display, everything is done via the remote so I can't use it in my sound system since I would have to be able to tell what track is playing.

In any case, it's nice to know the disc is not defective, it's just made for the millennial, not an old guy like me, but what do millennial know about Neil Young anyway? Now I am making this an age issue, it really pisses me off.

Would a cheap Walmart DVD player with audio output solve this problem? Assuming DVD player can play whatever that the CD can play and more.

dpatters

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2022, 03:47 pm »
Why buy a DVD player to play CDs? Just buy a cheap CD player or CD transport and be done.

Doublej

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2022, 03:57 pm »
Why buy a DVD player to play CDs? Just buy a cheap CD player or CD transport and be done.

There are no cheap CD players (that I can find), only inexpensive (sub $50) DVD players. A 3.5mm to RCA jack cable from the computer to his audio system or even a $20 USB DAC connected between the computer and his audio system will address his issue but where's the fun in that?

WGH

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2022, 04:08 pm »
However, that Blu-ray player has no front panel control, no front panel display, everything is done via the remote so I can't use it in my sound system since I would have to be able to tell what track is playing.

Would a cheap Walmart DVD player with audio output solve this problem? Assuming DVD player can play whatever that the CD can play and more.

Yes, replacing a 25 year old worn out broken CD player with a new CD/DVD player will solve your problem, just like replacing my 20 year old Sears Kenmore washer solved my problem.
But, unlike my new washer, a new DVD player, even though affordable, will also make new problems.

You discovered one problem during your problem solving journey: navigation. Depending on the DVD player you may or may not get a track number, which is real hard if you want to hear just one song. Don't even think about audio books on CD, finding the chapter where you stopped is an exercise in counting.

A second potential problem is audio quality. DVD players are optimized for coax digital output, not analog. You may have noticed I used the digital output of my cheap Sony DVD into an AVA DAC. I never tried the analog outs. I would guess that low jitter, noise rejection, filtering, multiple regulated power supplies, dynamic range, transparency, polypropylene capacitors in the signal path and the newest high-capacity power supply capacitors are not included in the analog output of a $35 DVD player.

What did you pay for your CD player 25 years ago? You should spend at least that much now to get the same sound quality now, probably more because of inflation.

The Music Room has a nice selection of certified CD players, TMR is an A++ seller of used equipment. Their used CD players would sound much better than any new $200 player you can find.
https://tmraudio.com/search-results-page?q=cd%20players

jmc207

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2022, 05:11 pm »

rcag_ils

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2022, 05:16 pm »
There are no cheap CD players (that I can find), only inexpensive (sub $50) DVD players. A 3.5mm to RCA jack cable from the computer to his audio system or even a $20 USB DAC connected between the computer and his audio system will address his issue but where's the fun in that?

dplatters, Doublej is right, there's no such thing as "cheap CD player", it's all about marketing, the millennial don't play CD and have no use for the CD player, any CD players are considered "audiophile" equipment now, they have to target the audiophile few, so they charge. I looked, the cheapest CD players are about $300 and may not play this CD.

Even DVD players are on their way out, they try to get everyone to stream their music and video, what a bunch of bullshit.

dpatters

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2022, 05:29 pm »
Isn’t Audiocircle a forum for audiophiles?