Best subwoofer for the $

chgolatin2

Best subwoofer for the $
« on: 16 Apr 2019, 10:59 am »
Just recently purchased a pair of the Elac uní fi UB5 speakers so I’m looking for a subwoofer to complement these bookshelf speakers.  My max budget is $600 so far I’ve looked into the SVS 1000, Elac and a few others. I would like the sub to be as compact as possible as well. Any good recommendations or advice? Go!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Best subwoofer for the $
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2019, 11:36 am »
When shopping last year for affordable/small subs the SVS SB-1000 and Rythmik L12 impressed me the most.

If at all possible, try multiple subs to even out the inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips.  At least locate the sub away from the plane of the Elacs.  I run 3 subs carefully distributed around the room after getting admonished by Earl Geddes in person and am pleased with the results. 

apstoltz

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:57 pm »
In the used market I am a big fan of the little Martin Logan dynamo 10” sub. I am speaking of the original sealed version, you can usually pick one up used around $200.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:43 pm »
When shopping last year for affordable/small subs the SVS SB-1000 and Rythmik L12 impressed me the most.

If at all possible, try multiple subs to even out the inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips.  At least locate the sub away from the plane of the Elacs.  I run 3 subs carefully distributed around the room after getting admonished by Earl Geddes in person and am pleased with the results.
Here's a vote for Rythmik subwoofers. Our Rythmik story: a couple years ago we bought via the AC Trading Post a used Rythmik E15 Direct Servo subwoofer, turned out to be an utterly fantastic purchase re: price / performance. I note that I travelled to VT to meet the fellow ACer to inspect / purchase / pick up the gear, well worth the trip. So, it may pay to watch the Trading Post in case something you like comes up. Good luck with your decision making. (Also, I worked with Rythmik to purchase spikes for the sub - they were easy to work with, then Herbies to get some Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders.)

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2019, 04:08 pm »
This pair of Gallo CLS-10 is an incredible steal at $500 for the pair!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163359.0

I own a pair of this exact sub and it has no trouble keeping up with my fast Omegas.  Also pairs wonderfully with my JM Reynaud Twins Mk3.

I know of 2 other guys that also like it with their Omega speakers.

Very flexible with low and high level inputs, gain, xover, phase, bass boost, etc.  A really nice feature is the built-in high pass filter so you can unload your mains if you desire, or just use it to supplement the bottom.

Fairly compact, yet heavy indicating build quality.  I like the non-symmetrical angled cabinet and front firing driver.  Better pics here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141484.0

It has a curved metal grill that attaches w / magnets.

You ask if it's the "best for the $"........I have no idea, I haven't heard everything.  But I previously owned a pair of REL Storms and I prefer the Gallos.  I can't imagine doing better at $250 per sub, and even much higher.   I paid double that for mine and have no regrets. 

Now discontinued, I believe the CLS-10 originally sold for over $1100.  Google for some very positive online reviews.  No offense to your Elacs, but this sub can hang with pricier bretheren, so it will allow for growth in your rig as you upgrade.  Your budget buys 2 of these -- 2 subs always better than one.  If you decide one suffices, simply sell the other.

PS:  no affiliation with the seller, just passing on my personal experience with this fast, flexible and musical sub.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2019, 05:27 pm by sunnydaze »

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2019, 08:07 pm »
I like SVS. They make great products and their customer service is awesome. I haven't heard a Rythmik sub, but know they have a great reputation also. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just pick the one that fits your space and budget. If you can afford 2, even better...not just for total output but better dispersion.

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2019, 08:38 pm »
Additional Info -- With my Gallo subs I use this:

http://www.isoacoustics.com/iso-200sub-acoustic-isolation-stand-for-subwoofers/

Keeps the rumble outta the floor for cleaner / faster / tighter bass.  About 60 bux at Amazon, Sweetwater and Crutchfield.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2019, 12:28 am »
I think it has been well established for years that the best bang-for-buck subwoofers have been produced by Hsu.  These beauties are just a touch over your budget but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything in their price range as worthy.  Check out the specs and finish.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2019, 12:37 am »
Interesting...When did SVS stop making tube woofers?  Oh..they still have them, just not many of them. 

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2019, 12:37 am »

Earl Geddes...in person?  Really? 

He's a fan of distributed bass.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2019, 11:58 am »
Earl Geddes...in person?  Really? 

He's a fan of distributed bass.

Yep and yep.  He's retired now and no longer building loudspeakers.  Met him at a local audio club meeting he hosted where he presented the travails of moving from 1080P to 4K projector based HT.  He's a movie buff, so his listening room is set up for 7.1 HT with front speakers set behind the acoustically transparent screen.  As it turns out he and I share very similar listening room designs (probably has something to do with following the same pesky laws of physics).   :wink:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2019, 01:02 pm »
To the OP,

Another option is Monoprice’s Monolith subwoofer models:

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=Monolith+subwoofer+

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:38 am »
This pair of Gallo CLS-10 is an incredible steal at $500 for the pair!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163359.0

$500 is a steal on those Gallos. I own a couple of JBL subs or I would buy them.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2019, 01:40 pm »
If one has $X to spend on subwoofer(s) is it better to get one at $X or two at $1/2X each? Does the answer change when $X is greater than a certain amount.

My sense is that one $500 subwoofer may yield better results than than two $250 subwoofers but two $500 subwoofers will provide better results than one $1000 subwoofer.

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2019, 03:29 pm »
$500 is a steal on those Gallos. I own a couple of JBL subs or I would buy them.

Yep.  I scratch my head at some of the recs on here since many of them are outside of the OP's budget.  Also, and IMHO, a single sub at retail and within OP's budget will be markedly inferior to the Gallo pair!

Noone can hear everything, but I do own the Gallos (and the highly regarded REL Storms previously) and I'd be shocked if anything recommended here that retails w/in budget will beat the Gallo pair that originally retailed for over $2k, but can be obtained now for $500....100 bux under his budget for a single sub!

Who knows, maybe even less?   Make an offer.

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:10 pm »
Perhaps the OP doesn't live near ZIP 1866?

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:34 pm »
Good point.

Per his profile, OP lives in Chicago.  Gallo seller lives in PA (18661) and per his ad he does have original packing materials, which are quite robust and would allow for many safe shipments.

"Prefer pickup" is often stated simply for ease and convenience, but many times an illiquid market and his gear sitting unsold forever can strongly motivate a seller to be flexible and make more of an effort.   At least that's been my experience -- both as a seller and a buyer.

If I was a serious buyer I'd surely try to convince him to ship.  Especially when the packing materials are stout, and the item only weighs about 40 lbs.  Mine arrived pristine, barely a mark on the box.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2019, 07:35 pm by sunnydaze »

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2019, 05:26 pm »
I would rather have two than one. Shipping should be $75 or less for each sub.

cornpop1

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:19 pm »
I +1 for the Rythmik. I have a Rythmik L12, it is very plain looking but sounds very tight and accurate.