My favorite vintage speakers...

koiman

Re: My favorite vintage speakers...
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jan 2007, 10:04 pm »
ESS Heil, Early 1970's I still have that pair in my computer room and run them every day. :D

TONEPUB

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jan 2007, 05:12 pm »
I liked those too!  Had a pair of AMT Towers back in the day and they
were great.  Early quads and Acoustat 2's too...  And a big pair of
Cerwin Vegas that sounded like crap, but got really loud!!

mezzrow

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:38 pm »
ADS L-1290...still using a pair in my office and they still sound great.

tdangelo

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »
Don't know if they qualify as vintage but my favorite were the Acoustat 1+1's drivin by a Gas Works modded Ampzilla II and a Audio Pro B2-50 sub.  I kept the 1+1's and Sub for 17+ years.  Thats how much I liked them ;)  I had some RTR something's before that.  I enjoyed them very much driven with a Dynaco 410(I think) amp.

Tony

Canyoneagle

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:16 am »
Linn Kan
Too bad I got rid of 'em!

fsimms

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:28 pm »
My favorite vintage speakers are my Electrovoice EV6's.  They are from the early 60's and still sound great.  They are 4 way and have 18" woofers.

djbnh

« Reply #46 on: 5 Feb 2007, 11:12 pm »
Polk SDA 1Cs; I like the all black studio version. I still use these speakers in my main rig, albeit with Polk's upgraded RD0194-1 tweeters, a DIY AI-1 interface, new tweeter protection devices, and Walker SST on all the internal contacts. A crossover upgrade is in the offing. Feed these speakers plenty of current from a quality amp; mine thrive on a pair of Odyssey Extreme Mono amps. Very good detail retrieval and frequency response, great soundstage and imaging. A minor nit is that speaker placement should be according to Polk's specifications, which may not work with all desired applications. WAF may not be high due to speaker size and placement requirements.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #47 on: 5 Feb 2007, 11:15 pm »
The mighty "Klipschorn" :thumb: :thumb:

Songforyou

« Reply #48 on: 7 Feb 2007, 05:45 am »
I have to agree with the earlier post regarding the Spicas.  I had a pair of TC-50s in the '80s with a Kinergetics sub (2 10" woofers per side) and god knows why I parted with them.  The Spicas do the midrange like nothing else.

And I'm not just going on memory here...I just bought another pair a month ago and they arrived today (a little beaten up from shipping unfortunately :().  They sound as good or better than I remembered :thumb:.

JBL-freak

JBL Paragon
« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2007, 10:00 am »
Hi guys,

Through the years i had many speakers such as Dynaco A25X, Cambridge Audio TL200 (big transmissionlines), Infinity Q2, Cabasse, but i will never ever forget the first time in my life i heard the JBL Paragon driven by two MacIntosh 275 tube amplifiers.

Go to: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9807&highlight=selkirk

At this moment i have a pair of vintage Bower & Wilkins DM 2a transmissionline loudspeakers, a pair of JBL 4312A Control Monitors and a pair of JBL Control One loudspeakers for my computer.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2007, 06:13 pm by JBL-freak »

dangerbird

« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:15 pm »
Alte Lansing "Bi-amp Barcelonas'"

dB Cooper

« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:39 pm »
I had Dyna A25s too, like many others, for years. Brother in law still has my original pair. Replaced them with Allison Four bookshelves- not the highest definition but very smooth and fullrange, not threatened at all by my Hafler DH200, great image and spectral balance anywhere in the room. Later Allisons (I also had CD8 towers) had much better definition though.

For those mentioning still having original Advents, do they still work? Most of the ones I have seen have expired due to dry-rotted foam surrounds.

Blackmore

« Reply #52 on: 24 Feb 2007, 02:18 pm »
Layne Audio and Simply Speakers are two businesses that will re-foam your Advent woofers for you.  I had mine done by Simply Speakers and they work great.

refmedia

« Reply #53 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:34 pm »
VMPS STIII's
 :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:46 am »
Too many to single out just one so here's my short list...

Kef 101
Jim Rogers JR-149
The non hybrid Acoustats
The Magepan Tympani Series

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #55 on: 25 Feb 2007, 03:41 am »
Someone earlier mentioned Quad 57's - I'll definitely 2nd that one.

Acoustat Monitor Series with the direct drive tube amps built in the back.

Large Advents for a great budget speaker

Ohm F's.

Bryan

dB Cooper

« Reply #56 on: 25 Feb 2007, 04:57 am »
Blackmore, did the refoaming leave the original dust cap intact? I have seen kits from Parts Express which require removing the original dust cap and later replacing it with a much bigger one- which seems like it would inevitably alter the voicing and dispersion significantly.

If the sound quality can be preserved, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of a pair of Advents (Or A-25s IMJ!)

Surprised not to see more mentions of AR, Bozak, or Rectilinear...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #57 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:52 am »
 My favorite vintage speakers....a pair I've owned for over 15 years, and still going strong......Mirage M3 speakers........ :wink:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #58 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:23 am »
Acoustic Research AR-LSTs deserve a mention. They violate a few hallowed design rules as far as configuration (horizontal arrays of tweeters, for example), but with  a lot of power to drive them, they were pretty amazingly dynamic.

Slightly over-the-top for the time (1973), they sold for $1200/pr.

They had a 12' woofer flanked by 4 - 1.5" dome mids and 4 - 3/4" dome tweeters.  They needed a lot of power to come alive - I heard the Sheffield drum record on them with a Phase Linear 700 and was amazed at the natural snare hits. No speaker in my experience before and few since have shown that kind of dynamic realism.

Here's a set on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/2fee7k

timothyharnett

« Reply #59 on: 25 Feb 2007, 08:24 am »
The ones that I still have;

1) Spendor BC1 (Better than the Kef 104!)
2) BBC LS3/5a

The ones that are pleasant memories;

1) Acoustic Research AR18 (not a great speaker but my first Hifi)
2) Epos ES11.

The ones I want to own

1) Tannoy 12" gold.
2) Lowthers.