HD with hi freq buzz sound

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
HD with hi freq buzz sound
« on: 2 Sep 2018, 10:28 pm »
Recently my HD started to show a hi freq buzz when the CPU is turned on for about 10 seconds, clearly it is the HD motor increasing RPM. Any reason to worry?
Disk test as below:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: HD with hi freq buzz sound
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2018, 11:53 pm »

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:17 am »
There is never a reason to worry if you backup your data on a regular basis. If you don't consider something to remind you to do so.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:08 am »
Any reason to worry?

All hard drives fail, it is just a matter of when. Sounds like in your case it will be sooner than later.
What exactly are you waiting for before you replace the drive? A catastrophic failure or only non-stop buzzing?
If the buzzing drive has the operating system and all your data then time to move up to a solid state drive, your computer will be much faster.
Hope you have a backup, either an image file, I use the free Paragon Backup and Restore or automatic data backup to the cloud like the free Microsoft OneDrive.
I use both.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:27 am »
A solid state drive time life is only 10 years.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:29 am »
A solid state drive time life is only 10 years.
All my long term storage and backups are on regular hard drives but nothing beats the speed of a SSD. If you want guaranteed long term storage (over 10 years) then all data should be moved to magnetic tape.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:45 am »
All my long term storage and backups are on regular hard drives but nothing beats the speed of a SSD. If you want guaranteed long term storage (over 10 years) then all data should be moved to magnetic tape.
Tape is a awfull storage media, I suppose SSD sleep on the shelf is OK for more than 10 years.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:00 pm »
I suppose SSD sleep on the shelf is OK for more than 10 years.
From what little reading I have done that would be overly optimistic.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984597/storage/hard-core-data-preservation-the-best-media-and-methods-for-archiving-your-data.html

"...there are optical discs that are unquestionably the hardiest, handiest archival media available to consumers. Write-once BD-R HTL (High To Low) can last for 100 to 150 years given a relatively mild environment—i.e., not on your dashboard in Phoenix. Milleniatta’s M-Disc BD-R and DVD+R write-once discs use an even more stable data layer that is rated for 10,000 years. Only its polycarbonate outer layers reduce that to a mere 1,000 years."

SSDs can lose data in as little as 7 days without power
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power
Tip: Keep your SSD cool.

Data storage lifespans: How long will media really last?

https://blog.storagecraft.com/data-storage-lifespan/

Media                                Estimated Lifespan
Magnetic data (tapes)          Up to 10 years
Nintendo cartridge                10-20 years
Floppy disk                            10-20 years
CDs and DVDs                       5-10 unrecorded, 2-5 recorded
Blu-Ray                                  Not certain, probably over 2-5 recorded
M-Disc                                   1,000 years (theoretically)
Hard disk                               3-5 years - SSD is only 1-2 years unplugged
Flash storage                        5-10 years or more (depends on write cycles)

In 100 years BD optical disk readers will be displayed at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry next to the 5.25" and 2.5" floppy disk readers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2018, 09:01 pm »
Incredible thanks :thumb: Nintendo is very good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2018, 11:28 pm »
Started the PC just some minutes ago and this time it dont showed any buzz or unsual sound :dance:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2018, 04:06 am »
Real-world testing right now is 5D optical storage. One Billion year shelf life on a "superman crystal".

The tech behind 5D can burn the same data to an unused portion of your retina. Again, real-world.

This is one hell of a time to be alive.  :thumb: