Ortofon 2M Black on a Versalex (setup question)

threadkiller

Re: Ortofon 2M Black on a Versalex (setup question)
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2015, 02:30 pm »
Blasphemy!

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2015, 04:28 pm »
Blasphemy!

A23 mat for Amadeus /Versalex. Cheap and superb! Why mess around with Pizza mats Chaz?

threadkiller

« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2015, 08:48 pm »
Rob,
Like you, I'm turning over a new leaf. Normally I'd trash and burn anything cork related regarding a WTL, as would Firebaugh. But hey, without hearing this one, I'll say maybe. Probably because it involves pizza.
Rob, besides the two Auditorium highly recommended mats, there's now a third! Spec from Japan. Don't know if it's some sort of graphite or carbon or what, yet it yields some delicious non food sound..most expensive of the three, at $350 U.S. dollars...about as thin as the thinner Auditorium mat. It has a seductive quality. Like a good pizza should..makes a Dominoes taste like a cow pie..

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2015, 09:03 pm »
Rob,
Like you, I'm turning over a new leaf. Normally I'd trash and burn anything cork related regarding a WTL, as would Firebaugh. But hey, without hearing this one, I'll say maybe. Probably because it involves pizza.
Rob, besides the two Auditorium highly recommended mats, there's now a third! Spec from Japan. Don't know if it's some sort of graphite or carbon or what, yet it yields some delicious non food sound..most expensive of the three, at $350 U.S. dollars...about as thin as the thinner Auditorium mat. It has a seductive quality. Like a good pizza should..makes a Dominoes taste like a cow pie..
LOL. I'm interested to find out more details about the Japo mat Chaz.

G E

« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2015, 11:05 pm »
My"pizza-cork" mat has struck a nerve!

I have only compared it with the original foam cell mat supplied with the WT Amadeus.

This mat was created for my prior turntable, an ancient Harmon Kardon hk720, whose original rubber mat had hardened and was oozing unknown chemicals.

I liked what I heard so popped it on the Amadeus after listening a while to to supplied mat.

It was a profound and positive transformation! 

One of my fave demo tracks is from Minute by Minute , "steamer lane breakdown" instrumentAl featuring Jeff skunk Baxter. This positively leaps off the record, very "fast" sounding on the Amadeus and cork mat. It sounded like a different mix on my friends vpi.

Like I said, I probably owe it to myself to check out the auditorium mat. But I know whAt I like and I like it. Don't wanna be singing can't get no satisfaction if I can't return a mat that don't improve my situation.

No doubt system synergy lays a large part. Downstream electronics and speakers are "fast and resolving" so the whole chain contributes to notes flying off the record.  I don't get that sensation from digital - hi res or redbook.

threadkiller

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2015, 12:36 am »
Touché, Rob!
Very well put, GE.. I like notes leaping off things...
And not to harsh your high, but since you've only compared it to the stock foam, I wouldn't get too carried away yet...or vested in that mat production just yet. You do owe it to yourself to try others.
Although great lords a leapin you still may be on to something.
One of the many many mats I tried was the Moo Mat. Love at first sight. Cowhide swirl with cork backing. Alas, the cow should have stayed in the barn that fatal day.

Now if this thread was on Pink Fish, that one big dummy would be asking for a cartridge drop of your pizza mat, GE. Might as well give up the ghost like that cow...

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2015, 01:21 pm »
To add to the debate, I feel that the cartridge being used is a factor in the equation here.

The 2m black is rigid in nature and clearly works well with my cork/rubber mat. Does the mat perhaps send energy back to the stylus?

Would I get the same result with my 1042? I would think not but I need to try it.

Therefore I reckon that a mat, when reviewed needs to be looked at as part of a chain and not simply a standalone part.

One thing for sure, my deck is singing and sounds better than ever. The corker is staying put!

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2015, 03:04 pm »
Good question- I was thinking the same ever since you mentioned cork.
For one thing, your assumption that cork brings energy caught several of us as wrong. It's always been the experience that cork is a deadening product. Reduces life. Usually more dead and flat than anything, even wool. So maybe it's your total combination of things that's contributing to your sound. Otherwise that hasn't been a common experience.  Glad it's working out.