Battle Of The Beasts: WT Amadeus vs. Townshend ROCK 7

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
As early adopter and long term Amadeus user i would suggest a thread about this two affordable and giant-beating TTs with silicones-damping. I love my Amadeus to bits and pieces, but the Townshends direct damping at the front of the arm could be beneficial to the Firebaugh-approach. Also the fixed headshell of the WT caused some trouble with very sensible PickUps regarding tracking angle. At least in my setup.

Anybody heard them in direct comparison? Moved from one to the other and back again? Value for money too if calculating the additional cost of an arm for the ROCK?

Here are two reviews that might be of help (in the Townshend review you can find a little comparison of the two):

http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-the-well-tempered-amadeus-turntable-and-tonearm
http://www.avguide.com/review/townshend-audio-rock-7-turntable-tas-209

let the good times roll
bernie from vienna

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2012, 02:37 pm by bernie_f »

gagamut

Re: Battle Of The Beasts: WT Amadeus vs. Townshend ROCK 7
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2012, 12:24 pm »
 'Also the fixed headshell of the WT caused some trouble with very sensible PickUps regarding tracking angle. At least in my setup.'
Hi Bernie,what cartridge you use now?i have the same trouble too before.for previously,i use WT reference TT and the cartridge is BENZ Micro ,it's excellent match,and after i change the TT to Amadeus,i found it's not match because i hear the distortion (i try to set the tonearm many many time but can not solve the problem)so i decide  to change the cartridge to LYRA,and now everything is OK,no any distortion :D 

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:53 pm »
I had some issues with my Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 and a very very fine version of its exchangeable diamond (a "Nude “Optimized Contour” Contact Line/Ruby Cantilever"). It is able to retrieve breathtaking detail and resolution out of the groove, but this stylus is a little ueber-delicate regarding exact tracking-angle and azimuth and should be fitted to mechanical very stable hi-precision arms. Both parameters are lacking a little in consistency on the WT-arm.

I would say that the arm is not perfectly suited to this specific cartridge (the arm is working, but you are forced to re-adjust daily to get stunning results and the most out of this great pickup). But the Arm works very fine with others i have available (Ortofon Jubilee, ZYX Yatra).

cheers
bernie

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2012, 06:32 pm »
Good news folks, I will be able to do a head-to-head comparison of these in a week or so. Stay tuned...

doak

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2012, 07:00 pm »
Good news folks, I will be able to do a head-to-head comparison of these in a week or so. Stay tuned...

Neat. Should be quite interesting.   :idea:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:27 pm »
Rosco, you da man!

HooStat

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:48 am »
You should just put the new WT arm on the Townshend table.  That would be the ultimate in terms of damping. . . .

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:11 am »
Oh don't think it didn't cross my mind

code4246

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:42 am »
Back in the early 1990's I compared the Well Tempered Turntable and Rock with the WTT being the clear victor.

I wonder how the 2012 results will play out.

8)

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2012, 02:03 pm »
I have begun writing up my impressions of the Rock in the link below, and will likely be doing my comparison of the two tables in Vinyl Circle, as that seems more appropriate than this manufacturer's circle.

My initial Rock impressions thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105495.msg1078277

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2012, 10:11 pm »
OK, I have now started adding impressions of direct comparisons to my Well Tempered Amadeus on page 3 of the thread below:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105495.0

Since I am comparing two different manufacturers' tables it seemed more appropriate to do the comparison in a Vinyl Circle Thread rather than the Well Tempered Circle.

Hope you enjoy reading the comparison. Both tables are certainly exceptional.