Re: Beta Testing of Short-Block USB filter
« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:25 am »
Wow, this thing is hot shit, Steve.

I guess I'll have to try this.

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #22 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:46 am »
The Short-Block can be used with any USB device that does not require +5V in the cable.

Steve N.

Does that mean any USB DAC that runs off the +5V BUS power cannot use the Short-Block? 

Would it then be possible to rig up a power input on the Short-Block to accept a 5V Li battery to power the USB input with something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6500mAh-9V-8500mAh-5V-15000mAh-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-/261006145381?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3cc52db765#ht_3530wt_1368

audioengr

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:57 am »
Does that mean any USB DAC that runs off the +5V BUS power cannot use the Short-Block? 

Correct

Would it then be possible to rig up a power input on the Short-Block to accept a 5V Li battery to power the USB input with something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6500mAh-9V-8500mAh-5V-15000mAh-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-/261006145381?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3cc52db765#ht_3530wt_1368

There is no access to bring out more wires on the Short-Block, however, I could maybe splice into the short output cable and have two wires be accessible for power.  Its a little messy....

Steve N.

TrungT

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2012, 05:07 am »
Power injector for USB

srclose

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm »
Also, this unit?

used on the input to USB-SPDIF converter?

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2012, 06:00 pm »
Thanks.  These are much cleaner solutions, and already available.

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:33 pm »
Power injector for USB

I've looked for exactly that, BUT with USB B connector instead of A, since most USB DAC's have USB B connector at input.  I have not been able to find such a device yet   :duh:

Jon L

« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:35 pm »
Also, this unit?

used on the input to USB-SPDIF converter?

I've looked at that AQVOX power supply, but what I really need is just the USB B connector as pictured WITHOUT the actual wall-wart power supply.  Would hate to buy the entire USB power supply just to use the adapter  :oops:

If I don't find an easy solution, then I might be stuck buying various parts and rigging something up messy. 

goohsm

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:56 am »
Steve
are you planing to implant this technology in the future OR model?
if this device really improves the sound quality
it looks like it can easily go into the OR to make the better usb to S/PDIF converter

audioengr

« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:41 pm »
Steve
are you planing to implant this technology in the future OR model?
if this device really improves the sound quality
it looks like it can easily go into the OR to make the better usb to S/PDIF converter

Probably not.  I want to make it available for other USB interfaces, and it is difficult to imbed it.  You would have to make the USB connector isolated from the chassis.

Steve N.

PeteG

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:00 am »
Ordered one today, I’m changing my digital front-end a little. Moving to a DSD capable dac.

Ern Dog

« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2012, 06:09 am »
Pete-  How do you like it so far?

DaveBSC

« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2012, 06:52 am »
I've looked at that AQVOX power supply, but what I really need is just the USB B connector as pictured WITHOUT the actual wall-wart power supply.  Would hate to buy the entire USB power supply just to use the adapter  :oops:

If I don't find an easy solution, then I might be stuck buying various parts and rigging something up messy.

You could also go a different route entirely. http://www.audiostream.com/content/ifi-iusbpower-taking-audioquest-draginfly-dac-notch

I'm curious how the iUSB and the Short Block would compare to each other. They have different functions, but on a DAC that doesn't require a USB powered input it would be easy enough to compare one to the other. And I suppose you could always plug the Short Block into the output of the iUSB if you wanted to.

PeteG

« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:29 pm »
Pete-  How do you like it so far?

First, my Short-Block is going into a Sonore exD dac with no problems at all. The sound is cleaner with a big 3D sound even beside and behind you, there are other small changes in the sound (to the good) but it’s hard to put my finger on what they are. Mine will stay as well.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Short-Block USB filter
« Reply #35 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:28 am »
Steve,

What is the consensus for two short blocks in series?  Is it a worthy investment?

Thanks,

-j

Ern Dog

« Reply #36 on: 2 Dec 2012, 02:17 am »
First, my Short-Block is going into a Sonore exD dac with no problems at all. The sound is cleaner with a big 3D sound even beside and behind you, there are other small changes in the sound (to the good) but it’s hard to put my finger on what they are. Mine will stay as well.

Thanks for your update.  The Short Block is on my short list to buy!  Sounds like a no brainer for $200.

audioengr

« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2012, 05:24 am »
Steve,

What is the consensus for two short blocks in series?  Is it a worthy investment?

Thanks,

-j

The first SB is worth it.  The second one improves things a little, but not nearly as much as the first.  I use one.  I have one or two customers using two.

Steve N.

jimiles

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm »
I threw my hat in the ring for a Short-Block a few days ago.  I'll write up my observations once it arrives. 

In the interim, I still need to download the 1.88 upgrade for Pure Music. 

agrecu

« Reply #39 on: 10 Dec 2012, 06:23 pm »
Steve,
I would like you opinion on whether the Short Block may solve an issue I have with the hum in my system. I used to run my iMac from a different outlet (breaker box line) than the OR5 and the rest of audio gear via: USB into an OR5 - I2S cable - W4S Dac2 - single ended tube preamp - Jensen Isomax RCA to XLR isolator (PI-2RX) - Solid state balanced amplifier. There used to be some hum but very low in level, it only could be heard with the ear close to the tweeter. Over the week-end I took your advice and connected my iMac to the same breaker line as the rest of my audio gear. The hum level can be heard from the listening positions and is quite loud. I isolated the problem to the connecting/disconnecting the USB cable form the computer. Even after I shut down the iMac altogether and the USB is still plugged into the iMac and OR5 the hum is still present. When the USB is unplugged, with or without the iMac powered, the hum is totally gone.  The USB cable is 4 meters long and runs next to the power cable for the iMac. My question is, do you think the shortblock may solve this issue? I figure it may be caused by the shielding or grounding of the USB cable and since the shielding is not affected by the short block it may not have an effect. Thank you for all your great work!