Monitors for classical music

rotarius

Monitors for classical music
« on: 1 Feb 2014, 01:00 am »
I am looking at NHT classic Three for a nearfield set-up.  These had great reviews a while back but don't know how they would do with orchestral music.  Anyone here use these or have heard them?  I would like your opinion.  Another bookshelf (under $1K) perhaps?  I am not looking for hyper detail, just clean grain free mids and lower treble.  I posted this on audiogon as well but this may be a more appropriate forum. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Monitors for classical music
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:11 am »
My listening is mostly classical and I've heard nothing to make me abandon my GR-Research Neo 2X.  Can you build a kit?

Here is a pic of a set built from Parts Express boxes.

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 03:37 am by S Clark »

jcotner

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:24 am »
I've sent you a PM which may help a little bit with the NHT monitors.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2014, 05:32 am »
I appreciate where yer coming from.  So, too, does S Clark.   

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:15 pm »
A modest sub like the Pioneer SW-8Mk2 will make any bookshelf speaker handle orchestral music well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm »
Not an easy fit: orchestral and small speakers.  When I think orchestra I think in particular of wide/highly defined imaging, big body (full sound around mid-bass), extremely dynamic, and slow bass roll off.

I've loved my $300/pair 12"x9"x10" Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 2-ways for the past 10 years.  They exhibit magical imaging, are very tuneful/musical, not the very most detailed, dynamic enough to have spent most of the time in my A/V system, and I've enjoyed them with or without a sub.  While their content value is very high the cheap vinyl wrap is best viewed in the dark.  Plenty left in the budget for a good sub (recommend sealed).  The smaller sealed SVS subs instantly come to mind.

Another solution, from a totally different direction, would be active speakers.  The new $300/pair JBL LSR305 is a 2-way professional monitor with 1"/5" drivers and is getting good reviews for studio and home use.  The tweeter uses a recessed constant directivity horn for wide soundstage (so again not so good looking as like most pro gear no grill is available) and the bass is rated up to 108 dB peaks and down to 43 Hz (a bigger model goes a bit deeper).  Actives are very dynamic, offer super flat frequency response (needed for mixing tracks), and provide unbelievably tight/deep bass.  Add a sub if you like and sell that 'silly' power amp.  A move up would be the $500/pair Adam F5 with ribbon tweeter.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:54 pm »
The GR kit is excellent. Fritz Speakers are highly recommended as well. If you are not concerned about soundstage then Monitors are fine for classical. Tonality and harmonic wise Fritz.

charles

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:22 pm »
Not an easy fit: orchestral and small speakers.  When I think orchestra I think in particular of wide/highly defined imaging, big body (full sound around mid-bass), extremely dynamic, and slow bass roll off.

Got to agree with this. Tough to get full bodied reproduction of an orchestra from small speakers. I would consider a sub augmenting the monitors essential.

rotarius

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:43 pm »
S Clark, no doubt the Neo 2x is a high quality kit but I have no woodworking skills or tools so even getting the baffle of the PE boxes cut would be a problem unless I can find someone local to do it.
JLM, I have always used big 3-way towers but have not always been very happy with massed strings from a lot of midrange drivers.  This changed when I got my Martin Logan ESLs but I have a soon-to-be toddler who is very attracted to them and the rest of my gear!  I may have to put them up for a while or sell them and move to a more confined set-up.  I will look at the Ascends.  Do you think their MTM would be a step up from the CBM-170?
Photon, I have an infinity sub if needed and I have integrated it in the past with good results so no worries about deep bass.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:54 pm »
I've heard Jim's Meridians and would recommend looking for a used pair.  Also, AJ in Florida's first Soundfields are amazingly good speakers at any price yet fit your budget, but I doubt that you will find a used pair.  Both are as easily as good as my Neo2X and better them in some ways.  Another friend just bought a pair of Focal Profile 908 that are also very nice speakers, and new are about $1200- just outside your budget but close enough.

Lots of people like the Fritz that Charles recommended (almost universally praised-I'm in the minority on these).- but are double your price range. Unless you can get a screaming deal on a pair of use ones, they are unlikely candidates.
Usher is another brand that got lots of praise that is outside the price range, but might be more likely to be available used.
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2014, 03:41 pm by S Clark »

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2014, 05:21 pm »
S Clark, no doubt the Neo 2x is a high quality kit but I have no woodworking skills or tools so even getting the baffle of the PE boxes cut would be a problem unless I can find someone local to do it.

There are plenty of guys around here that could cut those for you if you chose to go in that direction... I was cutting baffles just yesterday. 

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:01 am »
Don't know if anyone on this forum has experience with this company, but they appear to offer a good range of cabinets & products for the DIY'er that cannot construct their own cabinets. No experience with them myself.

www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:49 am »
Don't know if anyone on this forum has experience with this company, but they appear to offer a good range of cabinets & products for the DIY'er that cannot construct their own cabinets. No experience with them myself.

www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html
Good info, Photon.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2014, 04:15 am »
http://www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html

Lee Taylor's designs are what I used when I built my TRT model from Selah Audio which is very similar to the Zaph 2.5.

Lee Taylor's craftmanship looks great.

Regards,

Randy

jcotner

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2014, 07:07 am »

GR Diluceo.
This was my choice and I record Classical Music.
Not his newest speaker but what I wanted in a monitor.
I could have built a N3 but for classical work this one is great.
IF you can find these, they are in your price range.
They do quite well even without a sub.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm »
Looking in our for sale area I see a pair of Usher Be 718's and a pair of Fritz 7's that would meet your needs.  Both are within striking distance of your $1K budget.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm »
JLM, I have always used big 3-way towers but have not always been very happy with massed strings from a lot of midrange drivers.  This changed when I got my Martin Logan ESLs but I have a soon-to-be toddler who is very attracted to them and the rest of my gear!  I may have to put them up for a while or sell them and move to a more confined set-up.  I will look at the Ascends.  Do you think their MTM would be a step up from the CBM-170?
Photon, I have an infinity sub if needed and I have integrated it in the past with good results so no worries about deep bass.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

The Ascend Acoustics MTM would go louder and be more efficient than the CBM-170, but I don't like the whole MTM concept (if you don't stay equidistance from both mid/woofers they cancel out depending on your distance from them and the frequency involved).  This is a common problem with typical center channel speakers, sit to the side and good luck.  MTM does work well to help cancel floor/ceiling reflections for this same reason and so helps comply with the THX standard.  Note that the rest of the Ascend Acoustics line up (and most speaker designs in general) avoid MTM.  MTM got popular because tweeters are more efficient, so less pad down is needed of the tweeter.

BTW, I've heard the Fritz Carbon 7's and was impressed (especially with enough watts and a large power supply).  And the Usher is also very well reviewed.

Be careful with kids/pets mixing with monitors.  Years ago I had a 5 pound cat (by weight not worth) in the house that tipped over a 20" x 12" x 12" monitor on a 12" stand. 

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:16 pm »
Why not get the speakers that were more than likely used to master your favorite classical recording:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/oct97/atcscm20a.html

You can get them in either a active or passive version.  I've got the SCM 19's ( a updated version of the SCM 20).  Fantastic sound reproduction with classical, which is mostly what I currently listen to. 

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/atc-scm19-hi-fi-98230/review

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:50 pm »
I've heard Jim's Meridians and would recommend looking for a used pair.  Also, AJ in Florida's first Soundscapes are amazingly good speakers at any price yet fit your budget, but I doubt that you will find a used pair.  Both are as easily as good as my Neo2X and better them in some ways.  Another friend just bought a pair of Focal Profile 908 that are also very nice speakers, and new are about $1200- just outside your budget but close enough.

Lots of people like the Fritz that Charles recommended (almost universally praised-I'm in the minority on these).- but are double your price range. Unless you can get a screaming deal on a pair of use ones, they are unlikely candidates.
Usher is another brand that got lots of praise that is outside the price range, but might be more likely to be available used.

Soundscapes are quite a feat for the money. I would have easily reccomended them. However we are dealers for AJ. Selling like hotcakes. We cannot get a demo pair.  :(

charles

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:51 pm »
Also, AJ in Florida's first Soundscapes...
Soundfield  :wink:. Thank you sir. Missed your presence at the last LSAF...and will 99.5% probably miss this one myself, now that it's the following weekend after Axpona  :o :cry:

Why not get the speakers that were more than likely used to master your favorite classical recording:
Really?? Freo, would you mind citing the evidence supporting the most likelihood of ATCs being used to master classical? TIA.
Or is this your very own personal preference, being transposed as supported facts? :scratch:

cheers,

AJ