Upgrade route | 7B's or BIT ?

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
Upgrade route | 7B's or BIT ?
« on: 25 Mar 2016, 01:32 pm »
Hi all,

I'm just wondering here...

What would be the most appropriate upgrade route ?

My actual system consist of:

- BDP-2
- (non Bryston DAC which will be replaced by a Bryston DAC sometime this year...)(BDA-2)
- BP-26/MPS-2
- 4BSST2
- Pair of Mini-T

The system is in my little man-cave which serve as my home office.  I dont listen at very loud volume, but I do care about the quality of the sound.  (I guess we all do since we're on this forum...  :-)

Musical style varies greatly.  Rock, Old Metal, Pop, Electronic, New Age, Classic and Jazz.

I was wondering what would be the most profitable upgrade;

Changing the 4BSST2 for a pair of 7B's (7BSST2) ?

Or simply adding a BIT (20) to the system ?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Take care!

AJ

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
Re: Upgrade route | 7B's or BIT ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2016, 04:28 pm »
On a web site of my local Brsyton diller it is stated that recommended amp for Mini-T is 4bsst2.
So if Bryston comfirmes that I would think that 7b will give marginal increment of sound quality.
Power station (I have Torus RM 16) will give you solid protection and clean power. So if you need that..

What is your claim on the sound quality?
I dont have MiniT but have PMC 22 and sometimes i feel that I need more warm and full mid ranges.. So guessing whether proacs will gives that instead of PMC..

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2016, 07:28 pm »
Looks like a very nice setup already. I'd spend the money on room/acoustic treatment and the recreational imbibements of your choosing.

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2016, 08:01 pm »
Agree with Armaegis on the room treatments. The room is one of the most important pieces of the system puzzle, and if the room is dedicated, and WAF isn't an issue, I'd start there. a BITs worth of room treatment can make a nice dent.

If the choice is only between the amp and the BIT, I would go with the BIT.

Power conditioning is critical IME. If you have grunge on the line, a new amp will just continue to amplify it.

Cleaning up the power should make a nice difference.

Yitshak

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2016, 07:02 am »
Hello AJaudio,

I run two system of 4bsst2 Mini T's combos with the smaller BP6 pre,
But with both BDA2/3 in each.

You didn't state the exact DAC you use so maybe that's kind of bottle neck.
I would first change the DAC to one of the above.
The bryston DAC are a step forward from many other,and the BDA3,
Thake it noticble further.

Then a BIT looks like a rewarding path as other already suggest,
Though switching to XLR can also benefit SQ. (I didn't as of yet)
We don't know what stands are on use and speaker placement issues if there are any,
As those can hold off SQ as well.

Itshak

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2016, 11:41 am »
In all honesty the biggest improvement you could probably make would be to either upgrade the speakers or your pre-amp since you say you are going to change the DAC anyways. Since you mention this is for a home office space you aren't going to need the power of the 7's and unless you have some serious issues with your power a BIT probably isn't going to affect the sound. So a different pre and/or speakers would do more for noticeable audible differences.

stereoal

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2016, 07:17 am »
You already own the best preamp that Bryston makes, one that is still in production because Bryston hasn't figured out a way to improve it. If you buy a newer pair of 7B's, you'll get the same transformers the BIT uses to improve the sound, but I don't know if you'll hear it with bookshelf speakers. You really need to audition the 7s with your speakers. If there's no improvement, you could consider a speaker upgrade. If you want to stick with bookshelf speakers, enjoy your already very nice system. I suspect the BDA-2 will be a nice sound upgrade in itself. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2016, 10:21 am »
Your 4B's are more than adequate for your bookshelf speakers. 7B's would be overkill on them. Suggest you audition the BIT. For my system, power cleansing yielded significant audible gains in clarity, transparency, and imaging.

cheers

derekcooper

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:47 pm »
I'd echo CanadianMaestro - take a good look at the BIT.

I went through a similar dilemma not long ago and was able to pickup a Furman SPR-20i and Equi=Tech 1.5Q for about the same price as one BIT on CAM. Improvement is stellar.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

pmcd

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm »
If you are considering a speaker upgrade take a good look at the ATC passive consumer line