The Audioengine 2s are STUPID good!

gdg

The Audioengine 2s are STUPID good!
« on: 7 Nov 2009, 05:14 am »
Running off a Benchmark Dac1 these things UTTERLY blew my mind. Unbelievably they are as resolving as the renouned AKG K701 headphones and, in addition, they are even more musical. In my small bedroom I even find them more satisfying than my main rig. I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of my $15000 home system. How is this possible from a $200 speaker? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!

2gumby2

Re: The Audioengine 2s are STUPID good!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2009, 09:55 am »
I also have the Audioengine A2s and they are outstanding speakers. It's amazing how good the sound is from these small speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2009, 10:43 am »
Active speakers are heads above passive.  Years ago I auditioned active versus passive versions of Paradigm Studio/Active 20's (small 2-way standmounts).  No contest.  Flatter frequency response, much more dynamic, and unbelievable amounts of deep bass.  The Studio 20's MSRP were $800/pair, the Actives were $1,600/pair (neither included stands).  But the equivalent Paradigm (that did that much bass) were also $1,600/pair and wasn't as flat or dynamic, and was less coherent with 4 drivers versus 2 and the more complex crossover.

Now will you at least think about single driver speaker designs?   :wink:

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2009, 10:57 am »
Mine are hooked up to my computer. I like them, too.

Paul

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2009, 04:34 pm »
Me three. Great for the kitchen and cooking.

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2009, 04:38 pm »
I heard several models at RMAF this year, and thought they were good values. 

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2009, 04:48 pm »
 Money doesn't equal good sound,most hi fi is nothing but bs ,and quality product speaks for itself

droht

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2009, 05:26 pm »
For those of you using the 2s with computer, how are you adjusting volume?  It seems like the placement of the volume knob on back would be less than convenient.  I've got it in my head that using the computer to adjust volume is a no-no, sonically speaking.

I want to try a pair of powered speakers, trying to decide between 2s and 5s.  I like the size of the 2s for sure, but the 5s have volume control on front of speaker, plus the connections on top for MP3 player connectivity.

Thoughts?

santacore

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2009, 05:55 pm »
I have mine on top of my kitchen cabinets so I use my computer as the volume control. Of course it's ideal, but for casual listening it works great.

gdg

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2009, 06:02 pm »
Active speakers are heads above passive.  Years ago I auditioned active versus passive versions of Paradigm Studio/Active 20's (small 2-way standmounts).  No contest.

I know it. I had the Active 40 s and I only sold them because my system at the time (Thiel 2.4s/ Bryston 4bsst/Tact 2.2 room correction processor/ Dac1)  was "marginally better" better. I was looking for a pair of used Active 20s to lighten the mood in my high school classroom  when I stumbled on the Audioengine 5s. I use those in my classroom now and within days I was so stunned that I sprinted (literally) to the store to pick up the 2s for my bedroom. I enjoy them at least as much as my Thiel 2.4s and the ONLY  thing they can't do is fill a  room with gut rumbling bass. Unbelievable!

Ps I'd take these over the Active 40s in a small room ANY day.
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2009, 01:52 am by gdg »

gdg

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2009, 06:03 pm »
Oops. Double post. :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2009, 01:12 am »
I like the size of the 2s for sure, but the 5s have volume control on front of speaker, plus the connections on top for MP3 player connectivity.

Thoughts?

I use my A5's with the computer and I'm constantly adjusting the levels.  If the volume control was on the back, I doubt that I would keep the.  Putting it on the back is about as functional as kissing someone's ass all the time; once in a while, maybe; all the time, not going to happen.