Hello from SoCal

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
Hello from SoCal
« on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:13 am »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and audio tech in general but am hoping to learn from the community here!

Thom

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Hello from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:13 pm »
Welcome.  I suggest another post in The Starting Block to introduce yourself to the wider AC community.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:51 pm »
Welcome!

There's never been a better time to get into audio.  Internet streaming of CD quality music (Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD) allows anywhere access to millions of albums for $20/month or less.  A NAD Node 2i ($550) provides streamer, operating system, DAC, and preamp in one small easy to use box.  And active speakers (built-in amps for each driver) offer wonderful sound at prices as low as $300/pair (Kali LP6 is a very steady example).  This sound quality at this price and convenience was unimagined 20 years ago.  Of course the sky is the limit if you want lots of big impressive boxes with better sound.  But most audiophiles ignore the importance of the room (don't go small/squarish, try to insulate, think about treatments). 

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:02 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:18 pm »
Welcome!

diyman

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2020, 10:33 pm »
Welcome!

There's never been a better time to get into audio.  Internet streaming of CD quality music (Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD) allows anywhere access to millions of albums for $20/month or less.  A NAD Node 2i ($550) provides streamer, operating system, DAC, and preamp in one small easy to use box.  And active speakers (built-in amps for each driver) offer wonderful sound at prices as low as $300/pair (Kali LP6 is a very steady example).  This sound quality at this price and convenience was unimagined 20 years ago.  Of course the sky is the limit if you want lots of big impressive boxes with better sound.  But most audiophiles ignore the importance of the room (don't go small/squarish, try to insulate, think about treatments).

You keep suggesting this cheap Kali LP6 speaker and every time you do I'm going to answer with what a terrible choice it is for anyone who cares about sound quality.  It's distortion above 100Hz is barely acceptable and below 100Hz it is simply awful.  For $300 there are many much, much better options for a DIY builder.  And in case you forgot, this is a DIY forum where people are interested in building their own equipment in order to get the very best value and sound quality for their money.   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2020, 12:20 am »
You keep suggesting this cheap Kali LP6 speaker and every time you do I'm going to answer with what a terrible choice it is for anyone who cares about sound quality.  It's distortion above 100Hz is barely acceptable and below 100Hz it is simply awful.  For $300 there are many much, much better options for a DIY builder.  And in case you forgot, this is a DIY forum where people are interested in building their own equipment in order to get the very best value and sound quality for their money.

Get your facts straight:  the Kali LP-6 was named Sound-on-Sound's Editor Pick of the Year in 2018, and this is the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi Circle of Audio Circle (which is certainly not a DIY oriented forum).  Note that my recommendations fit within this circle's cost guidelines. 

diyman

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2020, 12:46 am »
Get your facts straight:  the Kali LP-6 was named Sound-on-Sound's Editor Pick of the Year in 2018, and this is the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi Circle of Audio Circle (which is certainly not a DIY oriented forum).  Note that my recommendations fit within this circle's cost guidelines.

Yeah, you are right.  I also post on the diyaudio forum and thought that was where I was at.  And you are right again that this is the Cheap and Cheerful Circle.  I thought that this since you were answering a newbie that this was the Introductions Circle.  So there you are.  You are right on both points.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this is a crappy little speaker in a plastic case with lots of distortion.  You couldn't give them to me for free.  Nor would you trade in your Bob Brines speakers for these either.

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2020, 01:03 am »
Thank you everyone. I’ll post Ann introduction in the starting block section also.

I think I’m going to like it here. 😉

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:40 pm »

JLM, have you owned these yourself?